Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011, 11:31 AM   #61

I hear what you're saying about the Lotus. I was actually looking for one when I found and bought the Boxster instead, but it is still an apple/oranges comparison. The Boxster is not a race car - it is a roadster, and in that role it is unsurpassed. As it was said earlier in this thread, you cannot load up the wife unit and a couple of suitcases and go for an extended road trip in your Lotus Elise, unless the only thing you take on holiday is your Mastercard.

I don't race my Boxster, either on the track or the street, and its 0-60 time is completely unimportant and irrelevant to me. The highest speed limit around these parts is 110 kph, so its top end is also unimportant and irrelevant. I do know that when I drop it into 3rd at 100kph to pass some semi, it has all the get-up-and-go that I will ever need. I know that when I find some twisties that it will stick to the road like glue and will handle anything that my mediocre driving skills can throw at it. And I also know that no car I have ever driven in the last 35 years(or probably ever will drive) makes me smile the way the Boxster does.

I guess we all decide what makes us happy. I've never liked or wanted a Corvette as, to me, they are vulgar and garish and cater to those of us that are less than well-endowed in other areas, and I think all of those little tuner cars with their coffee can mufflers cater to the Fast and Furious wannabe crowd.

But hey, to each their own. I might have felt differently when I was 20 and still immortal.

Last edited by Mark_T; 01-17-2011 at 11:34 AM.
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:17 PM   #62
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbs986
1, Your Boxsters are sloooow cars 0-60 time for my 99 is 7.7 sec That is pittifully slow for a sports, car my Volvo s40 t5 can do it in 6.5 sec. a 2011 base Boxster can do it in 6.0 sec better but not great. a 2011 Mustang W/a v6 can do it in 5.1 sec.
Wait so is this info in my 6 speed 2000 'S' Owners Manual wrong?
Attached Images

WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:26 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipE350
Wait so is this info in my 6 speed 2000 'S' Owners Manual wrong?
No it is not ...I said mine is a 99 all 99 have the 2.5 motor not a a 2.7 the 2.7 Boxster S did not come out until 2000,There for it has a 0-60 time of 7.7 sec. This time can also be confirmed in Car&Drivers Oct. 2009 issue.

The Manual you are showing is for a Boxster S not a base Mod. W/ a 2.5.
jbs986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:36 PM   #64

I don't know what you guys are on. The answer is simple and obvious: 1997 Mazda Miata with a LS1 dropped in, tuned, coilovers, beefy r-comps....it will beat the evo, boxster, fast and furious Honda Accord, and everything else on the track for far less money.

Oh you mean that doesn't offer you EVERYTHING you want in a car? So I suppose it's up to subjective opinion and personal taste? Oh....

06 Civic SI - 114k miles, D.D., unbelievably reliable and fun to beat on everyday.

08 Legacy GT 5spd - 74k miles.
JoeFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:01 PM   #65
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
No it is not ...I said mine is a 99 all 99 have the 2.5 motor not a a 2.7 the 2.7 Boxster S did not come out until 2000,There for it has a 0-60 time of 7.7 sec. This time can also be confirmed in Car&Drivers Oct. 2009 issue.

The Manual you are showing is for a Boxster S not a base Mod. W/ a 2.5.
Good point sir, I quoted you, I was thinking about the 03 'S' that started this thread, which is a 3.2 258hp engine, my 00 'S' is a 3.2 250hp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA
I don't know what you guys are on....
Really really good stuff!
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:48 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA
I don't know what you guys are on. The answer is simple and obvious: 1997 Mazda Miata with a LS1 dropped in, tuned, coilovers, beefy r-comps....it will beat the evo, boxster, fast and furious Honda Accord, and everything else on the track for far less money.
I like the way you think!
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:55 PM   #67

hey guys you are all starting to head towards left field. I do not have any problem with my 03 S s performance , it is a little slow off the line but once the revs build it's plenty good. the handling with the mid-engine layout is hard to beat and the brakes are very good.
I always thought a true sports car had to have 3 equal traits. power=handing=brakes. there is no doubt that the boxster is a great sports car.
the mustang 6 or gt do not have the balance therefore they are not considered . The corvette ZO6 a nice car but has that 50 year old plus thing attached to it and every thing i've read about it says the same thing , great on the track bad on the street and some cheap ass seats. the lotus is great but has no daily comforts and the evora is out of the question , the cayman beats that car anyway. The EVO, good car. it's got the balance but got that ****************ty ricer image and is kind of ugly.
the problem with porsche is simple , the cars cost to much, break to often are super pricey to modify and sometimes they just blow up. so what can ya do ?
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:01 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacabean
hey guys you are all starting to head towards left field. I do not have any problem with my 03 S s performance , it is a little slow off the line but once the revs build it's plenty good. the handling with the mid-engine layout is hard to beat and the brakes are very good.
I always thought a true sports car had to have 3 equal traits. power=handing=brakes. there is no doubt that the boxster is a great sports car.
the mustang 6 or gt do not have the balance therefore they are not considered . The corvette ZO6 a nice car but has that 50 year old plus thing attached to it and every thing i've read about it says the same thing , great on the track bad on the street and some cheap ass seats. the lotus is great but has no daily comforts and the evora is out of the question , the cayman beats that car anyway. The EVO, good car. it's got the balance but got that ****************ty ricer image and is kind of ugly.
the problem with porsche is simple , the cars cost to much, break to often are super pricey to modify and sometimes they just blow up. so what can ya do ?
So how many miles do you have on your Boxster and how much do you want for it? I have an 03 and am thinking of upgrading from to an S. I will help you unload it for quick.
AlexH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:19 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacabean
Either **************** or get off the pot
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:18 PM   #70

Try fitting a rifle, shotgun and handgun in the Lotus.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:47 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
Try fitting a rifle, shotgun and handgun in the Lotus.

I have a Jeep Wrangler for that.

ps, Your a Canadan, You do'nt need a handgun anyway. LOL
Old 01-18-2011, 03:33 PM   #72

Just cuz we don't need them doesn't mean we don't have them.

Here's my slightly customized Colt Combat Elite in .45 ACP, complete with Dwyer group-gripper with full length guide rod, Chip McCormick titanium trigger, extended mag well, Wilson 7-round mag, and cocobolo grips. Yee-ha.

You might be surprised to find out just how many Canadian gun owners there are, despite our government's best efforts.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #73

Ha Ha...That is one sweet gun dude
Old 01-19-2011, 04:12 AM   #74

Quote:
I have a Jeep Wrangler for that.

ps, Your a Canadan, You do'nt need a handgun anyway. LOL
That's funny because I have a few American friends ask me on what handgun they should get.

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote