Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011, 08:15 AM   #1

PowderCoated wheels....

has anybody here ever had their wheels powder coated?
I'm looking to get mine done black, but should i get the outer rim coated in a light color (silver/white/etc)?

DerrickCaracter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:56 AM   #2

Garage
I've had two sets of wheels professionally powder coated in the past. And, to be quite honest with you, I've been much happier with the results obtained by conventional painting. Despite its virtues, my experience has been that its very difficult to get good uniform coverage with powder coating on a multi surface object like a wheel . Especially, if the wheel has an intricate spoke pattern or design like a mesh style . My latest wheels are a set of Champion RS98's in gloss black . I couldn't be happier with the quality of the finish via conventional paint .

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 01-17-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:06 AM   #3

Interested to see what your results are

as I have the same wheels (sport classic 18's) on my car and was thinking about getting them painted black eventually. I personally would leave the lip polished. My car is ASM and I think the black rims with the boxster script rocker decal would look nice without being too much.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
I've had two sets of wheels professionally powder coated in the past. And, to be quite honest with you, I've been much happier with the results obtained by conventional painting. Despite its virtues, my experience has been that its very difficult to get good uniform coverage with powder coating on a multi surface object like a wheel . Especially, if the wheel has an intricate spoke pattern or design like a mesh style . My latest wheels are a set of Champion RS98's in gloss black . I couldn't be happier with the quality of the finish via conventional paint .

do you have any pictures?? also where would i get them painted?
Old 01-17-2011, 11:25 AM   #5

any reputable paint shop can handle painting wheels. Heck, do it yourself if you're a diy kinda person.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:59 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerrickCaracter
do you have any pictures?? also where would i get them painted?

The two sets that I had powder coated have since been sold. So, unfortunately I don't have any photos to show . Again, I was pretty disappointed with the results I got from powder coating. Very poor coverage, especially in the areas of the spoke windows and lugs was the most troubling . In fact, I had the "shop" run one set through again - hoping for better results. This situation was not unique to me, as I would later learn from other enthusiasts that they were equally disappointed with the results of powder coating as well. In any case, any reputable, high quality auto body shop should have no problem painting your wheels.

JD
p.s. However, by virtue of the fact that there is no delineation between the spokes and the lip on your wheels, its going to be very difficult, if not impossible, to create a contrast in color or surface between the two .
Old 01-17-2011, 07:08 PM   #7

Just noticed that too...

are the wheels 17's? The wheels I have are the same spoke design but have a polished lip around the out side of the spoke area that is not painted.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:43 AM   #8

I agree with JD, I dont think you have enough of a true lip to do much of a contrast. If anything, maybe do a small pinstripe on the outside edge of the wheel. A powdercoating shop would have to tape off where they didnt want the powder to go, and there isnt much area for it to not go. Plus before you get them powdercoated they will need to be stripped. It can fairly costly. You'll have to price post ways, paint and powdercoat.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:49 PM   #9

Hey does anybody know about chrome dipping? What if i did this in black?
Old 01-19-2011, 05:04 AM   #10

black chrome is pretty awesome.

Info from a friend at ccw, he sent his (photos below) to Japan simply because it was actually cheaper for him to do so. iirc, the outside rim black chrome finish was 200 per wheel plus shipping to/from japan. For places in the US he made these suggestions:
- California Chrome (do both the PVD coating I had as well as actual Black Chrome)
- DippedParts.com (Mikey is the guy who runs it but unprofessional so not 100% on sending ppl that way)
- Jerrome 714.225.4394 some where on the west coast; haven't seen his work but have had 2 customers send wheel directly to him to get done. Seems like a cool guy and answers his phone.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote