Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 09:55 PM   #21

I suggest you hop off the fence, send me some pics and specs of your 03 s with a great move it immediately sale price attached and lets get on with making you an evo owner and myself a happy 03 s owner.

I grew up with an e type jag in my garage. For those that remember these nightmares it will come as no surprise that my fathers head was usually under the hood instead of behind the windshield. Seemed like a lot of work, but ohh how I remember that moment of sheer thrill when we cranked it up Sunday afternoons and pop said lets go burn up the Maryland countryside. Those were the finest times and thats what owning a real sports car gives IMO.

On the other hand 2 out of three of my children have had a souped up Honda with a suspension rim and tire package that cost a third of a buy in for an average used boxster. Two hondas later and I wont ride to the grocery store in them unless I am test driving them to insure they are suitable to make it back to campus. My youngest child likes hers just fine in a crowd of her peers, except when it breaks itself every other day as it is trying to be a sports car.

I feel I havent quite lived up to my fathers fine example by letting these kids of mine get it in their head that a sports car consists of rims tire and a chrome exhaust tip. I have to agree with the poster who said "apples and oranges".

jcoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:11 AM   #22

I had an EVO VIII and it had the greatest driving experience of any car I've ever owned, including several Corvettes and the Boxster. I'm sorry I sold it. That car was magic it the way it communicated the road through the steering wheel and the seat.

I've never driven an EVO X and the reviews seem to indicate it's lost a little of the special feel that the previous generatioin cars had. If you keep the EVO stock it ought to be pretty reliable.
Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:41 AM   #23

None of the financial reasoning I'm reading here makes any sense.

It sounds more like you don't want to keep the Boxster and are looking for something else. If that's the case, by all means, get rid of the Boxster.

But if you really do like the car and would like to keep it, but are simply afraid of possible future costs, do this instead: Take the $25K that you would otherwise be out-of-pocket on your Boxster-Evo swap and put it in the bank. Anytime you have an unexpected expense on the Boxster, take it out of that account.

Chance are, 5 years from now, you still have more than $20K in that account. Even if you are very unlucky (total engine failure), you will still have $10K left in that account. Financially, there is almost no possible way for you to come out ahead by buying the Evo.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:41 AM   #24

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by demick
None of the financial reasoning I'm reading here makes any sense.

It sounds more like you don't want to keep the Boxster and are looking for something else. If that's the case, by all means, get rid of the Boxster.

But if you really do like the car and would like to keep it, but are simply afraid of possible future costs, do this instead: Take the $25K that you would otherwise be out-of-pocket on your Boxster-Evo swap and put it in the bank. Anytime you have an unexpected expense on the Boxster, take it out of that account.

Chance are, 5 years from now, you still have more than $20K in that account. Even if you are very unlucky (total engine failure), you will still have $10K left in that account. Financially, there is almost no possible way for you to come out ahead by buying the Evo.
+1 :dance:
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:10 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacabean
think about it ? if you had to replace your Boxster with a reasonably priced performance oriented car what would you choose? The new 1 series M coupe looks good but that will be 50K . evo's , STI what else is there ?
An 04 VW R32 is one I can think of. Build quality on par with porsche or BMW and a total blast to drive. Really clean low mile R32's go for 17-20,000.
Caractere kit seam sealed, Caractere rear wing, 1 3/4" drop on coilovers, 235/40/18 Kuhmo XS on 18x8 Millie Miglia Spider II's, H2sport spindles, H&R front Sway bar, O-bar rear torsion, VF Eng. motor mounts, G60 12# flywheel, Nuespeed P-flow intake, Forge DV, Samco IP, Custom K04 turbo and Upsolute chip, 4 bar fpr, TT 2 1/2" SS DP, 2 1/2" custom stainless exhaust no muffler, Peleguin LSD, B&M SS, Momo 14" wheel, R32 steering rack.
yelojkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:20 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soetekouw
EVO? (never heard of it - I'll need to look it up).
That was my reaction. Even after I read about it, I don't think I'd recognize one if it passed me on the street.

Remember when R&T put the cropped snaps "10 best cars" on their cover? And you could tell most of them because there was some distinctive styling cue on almost every desirable car?

If the EVO is considered an attractive car, then I despair for the future of the automobile.
CenterIsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:23 PM   #27

Boxster (and Porsche probably in general) are not for the weak of heart.

With me it's not the IMS I'm worried about. It's all other problems.
I got the car cheap.. it passed PPI ("post" purchase inspection) with flying colors

However since then.. something always breaks.
It started with ignition switch, then engine mount, then 60K (fuel filter/belt), then one of the wheel bearings went out, now the second one is out, then AOS failed, then Power Steering pipe broke...
Now I have a vibration while driving (no ideea what it is)

I changed everything DIY (thanks to this site) I learned a lot.. but I spent a lot of time fixing it.

It's still worth it for me.. it was a dirt cheap car.. and I looooove it

Sasha
sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #28

quote"The car is fast and handles great it will embarrass a Boxster on and off the track"

Doesn't matter how fast it is - it's still just a ricer. The embarrassment is being seen driving one. Nothing quite says "wannabe" like one of those crap cans.
quote"I'd rather have a broken Porsche than a well running Evo."

+1 to that!
Old 01-14-2011, 02:13 PM   #29
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Good thread, enjoyed this one. I'm like...what is an Evo (showing my age I guess) so I looked it up...oh I said one of those twangers the young men drive through my neighborhood while they drool over my porsche. Really not picking on the car, it sounds like fun if you want to track or just like raw a-s power. Again these are two totally different cars, and this stuff about being faster, heck if I drive my 2000 Boxster 'S' anywhere near the RPM I'm being told to, well I can't get out of 3rd gear without the cops chasing me. Me personally I couldn't sleep at night if I put $40k into an Evo, but for you it sounds like something you would really like...you should go for it, if your 03 'S' is nice I'm sure there are plently on this forum that would help you out . Or if you still love your Boxster get things fixed, save a TON of money and have some peice of mind.

Heck I got my Boxster in early Nov, before I got it I couldn't wait to drive my 09 E350 each day, now I'm thinking of selling it...I always say wait two weeks and see how you feel. My Benz is for driving and the Boxster is for the joy of working on it, though it really doesn't need a thing done, it's just fun and easy.

Post some pics so us plastic window guys can drool over your glass window.

WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:15 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T
Nothing quite says "wannabe" like one of those crap cans.
That's funny, I've heard the same said about Boxster drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T
Doesn't matter how fast it is - it's still just a ricer. The embarrassment is being seen driving one.
To each his own. A practical, well performing sedan that you can take to the track on the weekends and then use everyday isn't for everyone I guess.

Last edited by Adam; 01-14-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:24 PM   #31

i want to agree with what some have already said.

evo, who? i too had to look it up.

if you want a fast car and don't care about what you drive, then why not just buy a rice rocket..aka (civic with mod engine)

but as far as head turners...i can guarantee that most of the people out there will be wow'ed by you driving a porsche and won't car a rat's bottom that you drive a "fast" mitsu.

that's my opinion. never regretted getting my boxster and love it.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:41 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuanle16
but as far as head turners...i can guarantee that most of the people out there will be wow'ed by you driving a porsche and won't car a rat's bottom that you drive a "fast" mitsu.
I hate to rain on your parade, but most people don't think "Wow, that's a cool car" they think "yup there goes another rich prick in his Porsche." So you bought the car to turn heads and impress people? I'm sorry.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:47 PM   #33

Wink

hahaha. thanks adam. well you proved my point. i aint rich, but people think i am.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:59 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuanle16
hahaha. thanks adam. well you proved my point. i aint rich, but people think i am.
Well, at least you're honest about it. Badge snobbery is out of control in this thread. I'm convinced if Porsche decided to put a crest on a turd somebody would buy it.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:13 PM   #35
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Crack me up...too funny...and all along I thought they were thinking there goes that old guy in mid life crisis in his old car. Good one made me laugh!
Old 01-14-2011, 04:05 PM   #36

Wow! a lot of you guys do not know much about cars on the market today. I got crazy looks in my Evo 8. i still do all the same stuff in my boxster that i did in my evo but at half the speed and intensity . I get a lot of old hag bag cougers looking at me in my boxster too.
The Lancer Evolution is held in high regards throughout the world. The Evo X is a direct descendant of the world rally championship Evolution that dates back well over a decade. (does Tommi Makkinen ring a bell ) This cars 2.0 makes almost 300 h.p. and has one of the most sophisticated all wheel drive systems on the market and let me tell you they are built like tanks ! The guys on the Evo forums don't put 3,500 away for when their car breaks ,that amount will almost net you 400 h.p. at the wheels.
I hate to say it but a lot of you guys are posers in your boxsters because if you are a real car guy you would know what and evo is . you may not like it's looks but you would respect it's performance and history. The Evolution X is not your typical queer ricer.
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:52 PM   #37
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacabean
Wow! a lot of you guys do not know much about cars on the market today. I got crazy looks in my Evo 8. i still do all the same stuff in my boxster that i did in my evo but at half the speed and intensity . I get a lot of old hag bag cougers looking at me in my boxster too.
The Lancer Evolution is held in high regards throughout the world. The Evo X is a direct descendant of the world rally championship Evolution that dates back well over a decade. (does Tommi Makkinen ring a bell ) This cars 2.0 makes almost 300 h.p. and has one of the most sophisticated all wheel drive systems on the market and let me tell you they are built like tanks ! The guys on the Evo forums don't put 3,500 away for when their car breaks ,that amount will almost net you 400 h.p. at the wheels.
I hate to say it but a lot of you guys are posers in your boxsters because if you are a real car guy you would know what and evo is . you may not like it's looks but you would respect it's performance and history. The Evolution X is not your typical queer ricer.
Hey I gave you respect , sounds like fun, ditch the Box and get a Rocket. Send us pics, I'm sure we'd like to see it, heck I'll probably notice them on the road now. My son is 20 and loves BMWs, I couldn't give him my Boxster if I tried (though he does love driving it ). I remember a couple of years ago I wouldn't have been interested in a Boxster, went to a Porsche gathering in NC Mountains last year and got hook...I was a Cayman guy at first.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:47 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipE350
Crack me up...too funny...and all along I thought they were thinking there goes that old guy in mid life crisis in his old car. Good one made me laugh!
Well, a few of them might think that to. Which leads me to..................................

Jacabean, you have to remember your audience here. Most of the guys on the forum here are up in years and not younger men. The median age is probably somewhere around 55....much like your typical corvette owner. Anything that has good performance and aggressive looks and comes out of Japan is considered rice to them. Personally, if I had to own only 1 car the EVO would be the way to go. Much more practical than the Boxster, has impressive performance and is fun to drive. The Boxster makes a fine 2nd or third car, but if you're looking for a car that does it all then the EVO all the way. The only thing I don't like about the new EVO is I believe it can't be bought with a traditional manual trans.

Last edited by Adam; 01-14-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:57 PM   #39
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Personally, if I had to own only 1 car the EVO would be the way to go. Much more practical than the Boxster, has impressive performance and is fun to drive. The Boxster makes a fine 2nd or third car, but if you're looking for a car that does it all then the EVO all the way. The only thing I don't like about the new EVO is I believe it can't be bought with a traditional manual trans.
Hey Adam, can I have your rims then when you get your EVO ...mine are the 2000 17 inch (turbo look I think)...don't quite do it for me. J/k.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:08 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipE350
Hey Adam, can I have your rims then when you get your EVO ...mine are the 2000 17 inch (turbo look I think)...don't quite do it for me. J/k.
Sure, would you buy them for $30,000 so I can get an EVO? Yeah the Carrera Light wheels are popular. Lots of people buy the knock offs....mine are real.