Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 10:40 PM   #1
Certified Boxster Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,612
Cam Cover Oil Leak

My '99 has a small cam cover oil leak. Actually, its more than a seep and less than what I'd call a leak (no drops on the garage floor, but I can see oil under the cam covers). Dealer said to just ignore it unless it gets much worse and said to re-seal the cam covers would be ~$1,000 in labor.

Really? Can someone tell me why re-sealing the cam covers is so time consuming?

I am not talking about taking off the heads, but just removing the cam covers, scraping off the old sealant and cleaning the surfaces, and reapplying new sealant and re-installing the covers. Sounds like ~3 hrs of work, not the 7-10 that I got from the dealer (and I read the same number of hours in various forums).

Can someone who's done this give me a quick run-down in regards to what am I missing or underestimating? When someone re-builds a Boxster engine do they spend 10 hours just getting the cam covers re-sealed?

__________________
1999 996 C2 - sold - bought back - sold for more
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:32 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone
My '99 has a small cam cover oil leak. Actually, its more than a seep and less than what I'd call a leak (no drops on the garage floor, but I can see oil under the cam covers). Dealer said to just ignore it unless it gets much worse and said to re-seal the cam covers would be ~$1,000 in labor.

Really? Can someone tell me why re-sealing the cam covers is so time consuming?

I am not talking about taking off the heads, but just removing the cam covers, scraping off the old sealant and cleaning the surfaces, and reapplying new sealant and re-installing the covers. Sounds like ~3 hrs of work, not the 7-10 that I got from the dealer (and I read the same number of hours in various forums).

Can someone who's done this give me a quick run-down in regards to what am I missing or underestimating? When someone re-builds a Boxster engine do they spend 10 hours just getting the cam covers re-sealed?
Your dealer is correct; do not remove the cam covers unless you have a substantial leak (e.g.: dripping). Nearly all cars we see have some evidence of oil “sweating” near the mating seam with the heads, it is completely normal. Removing, cleaning, and resealing the cam covers is not difficult, but it is very time consuming; and quite often results in more problems than it solves. If there isn’t a real issue, leave it alone……………..
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 11
I was told that I can pull the Cam Cover bolts out one at a time then either replace or clean exisiting bolts with alcohal then a little permatex on the head and put back in in and make sure I do not over tighten. What do you all think?
__________________
Best Regards
Paul
alphaboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboy1 View Post
I was told that I can pull the Cam Cover bolts out one at a time then either replace or clean exisiting bolts with alcohal then a little permatex on the head and put back in in and make sure I do not over tighten. What do you all think?
That sometimes works but only if the leaks are from the bolts, although I would not use Permatex.
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Idaho Red Rocket 3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nampa, ID.
Posts: 488
What would you use to reseal bolts in this manner ?
__________________
2000 Boxster S
And then there are the Motorcycles.
Idaho Red Rocket 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Red Rocket 3 View Post
What would you use to reseal bolts in this manner ?
Loctite 5900
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Miami florida
Posts: 1,591
I had good results by replacing the 3 (4?) bolts along the lower cam cover. I took them out one at a time, thoroughly cleaned the threads going into the head by chasing them gently with a tap, flushing with brake cleaner, then installing the new, micro encapsulated bolTs from the dealer with a good goober of sealant. Don't over torque the bolts!

It's hasn't completely solved the leak, but it went from a persisten drip to a drop of oil every now and then.
__________________
Current car

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Ckrikos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 633
I sent some pics to my mechanic and he said that I probably have a cam cover leak. Now I don't recall this leak prior to my large service with them. I'm thinking about just replacing the bolts as you guys have done. What's the torque spec for those bolts.
__________________
LB/GG/MB 02 2.7 sold
MB/GG 02 996TT
Ckrikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:28 PM   #9
Registered User
 
BYprodriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: O.C. CA
Posts: 3,409
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckrikos View Post
I sent some pics to my mechanic and he said that I probably have a cam cover leak. Now I don't recall this leak prior to my large service with them. I'm thinking about just replacing the bolts as you guys have done. What's the torque spec for those bolts.

10 ft/lbs make sure you get the correct bolts, 10.9 grade & 30mm long I think

BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page