986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Cam Cover Oil Leak (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/27418-cam-cover-oil-leak.html)

thstone 01-06-2011 10:40 PM

Cam Cover Oil Leak

My '99 has a small cam cover oil leak. Actually, its more than a seep and less than what I'd call a leak (no drops on the garage floor, but I can see oil under the cam covers). Dealer said to just ignore it unless it gets much worse and said to re-seal the cam covers would be ~$1,000 in labor.

Really? Can someone tell me why re-sealing the cam covers is so time consuming?

I am not talking about taking off the heads, but just removing the cam covers, scraping off the old sealant and cleaning the surfaces, and reapplying new sealant and re-installing the covers. Sounds like ~3 hrs of work, not the 7-10 that I got from the dealer (and I read the same number of hours in various forums).

Can someone who's done this give me a quick run-down in regards to what am I missing or underestimating? When someone re-builds a Boxster engine do they spend 10 hours just getting the cam covers re-sealed?

JFP in PA 01-07-2011 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone
My '99 has a small cam cover oil leak. Actually, its more than a seep and less than what I'd call a leak (no drops on the garage floor, but I can see oil under the cam covers). Dealer said to just ignore it unless it gets much worse and said to re-seal the cam covers would be ~$1,000 in labor.

Really? Can someone tell me why re-sealing the cam covers is so time consuming?

I am not talking about taking off the heads, but just removing the cam covers, scraping off the old sealant and cleaning the surfaces, and reapplying new sealant and re-installing the covers. Sounds like ~3 hrs of work, not the 7-10 that I got from the dealer (and I read the same number of hours in various forums).

Can someone who's done this give me a quick run-down in regards to what am I missing or underestimating? When someone re-builds a Boxster engine do they spend 10 hours just getting the cam covers re-sealed?

Your dealer is correct; do not remove the cam covers unless you have a substantial leak (e.g.: dripping). Nearly all cars we see have some evidence of oil “sweating” near the mating seam with the heads, it is completely normal. Removing, cleaning, and resealing the cam covers is not difficult, but it is very time consuming; and quite often results in more problems than it solves. If there isn’t a real issue, leave it alone……………..

alphaboy1 03-17-2013 08:33 AM

I was told that I can pull the Cam Cover bolts out one at a time then either replace or clean exisiting bolts with alcohal then a little permatex on the head and put back in in and make sure I do not over tighten. What do you all think?

JFP in PA 03-17-2013 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphaboy1 (Post 332032)
I was told that I can pull the Cam Cover bolts out one at a time then either replace or clean exisiting bolts with alcohal then a little permatex on the head and put back in in and make sure I do not over tighten. What do you all think?

That sometimes works but only if the leaks are from the bolts, although I would not use Permatex.

Idaho Red Rocket 3 03-17-2013 01:38 PM

What would you use to reseal bolts in this manner ?

JFP in PA 03-17-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Idaho Red Rocket 3 (Post 332064)
What would you use to reseal bolts in this manner ?

Loctite 5900

san rensho 03-17-2013 05:25 PM

I had good results by replacing the 3 (4?) bolts along the lower cam cover. I took them out one at a time, thoroughly cleaned the threads going into the head by chasing them gently with a tap, flushing with brake cleaner, then installing the new, micro encapsulated bolTs from the dealer with a good goober of sealant. Don't over torque the bolts!

It's hasn't completely solved the leak, but it went from a persisten drip to a drop of oil every now and then.

Ckrikos 06-15-2013 08:17 PM

I sent some pics to my mechanic and he said that I probably have a cam cover leak. Now I don't recall this leak prior to my large service with them. I'm thinking about just replacing the bolts as you guys have done. What's the torque spec for those bolts.

BYprodriver 06-15-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ckrikos (Post 347504)
I sent some pics to my mechanic and he said that I probably have a cam cover leak. Now I don't recall this leak prior to my large service with them. I'm thinking about just replacing the bolts as you guys have done. What's the torque spec for those bolts.

10 ft/lbs make sure you get the correct bolts, 10.9 grade & 30mm long I think