View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 05:32 AM   #2
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone
My '99 has a small cam cover oil leak. Actually, its more than a seep and less than what I'd call a leak (no drops on the garage floor, but I can see oil under the cam covers). Dealer said to just ignore it unless it gets much worse and said to re-seal the cam covers would be ~$1,000 in labor.

Really? Can someone tell me why re-sealing the cam covers is so time consuming?

I am not talking about taking off the heads, but just removing the cam covers, scraping off the old sealant and cleaning the surfaces, and reapplying new sealant and re-installing the covers. Sounds like ~3 hrs of work, not the 7-10 that I got from the dealer (and I read the same number of hours in various forums).

Can someone who's done this give me a quick run-down in regards to what am I missing or underestimating? When someone re-builds a Boxster engine do they spend 10 hours just getting the cam covers re-sealed?
Your dealer is correct; do not remove the cam covers unless you have a substantial leak (e.g.: dripping). Nearly all cars we see have some evidence of oil “sweating” near the mating seam with the heads, it is completely normal. Removing, cleaning, and resealing the cam covers is not difficult, but it is very time consuming; and quite often results in more problems than it solves. If there isn’t a real issue, leave it alone……………..