Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2005, 07:22 PM   #1
abk

Need Advise-Ordering an 06 Boxster

I am a newbie...found this forum after test driving a Boxster (both S and non-S) and decided after talking to the Sonnen Motors salesman that since production on the 06 starts in July, and I am in no rush, I might as well order one for delivery in Sept. Here are my questions: (1) I drove both the "S" and non-S and I thought the extra horsepower and more weight seemed to be too much for the car...keep in mind that I sold my 928 two years ago and bought a 500E...so I like the horsepower of the S...but it seemed heaver, a bit noisier and vibrated more...my only complaint with the non-S was first gear...My question is are there any non-S owners who regret not getting the S? (2) I am planning to order the non-S with lots options...including the PASM with the sport chrono package...my current 500E allows me to adjust the suspension which I like...my salesman thinks I only need these options if I take the car to the track (which I won't)...Does anyone have the PASM with the sport chrono package and do you like it? How does it work?; (3) I was planning to order the hardtop, but my salesman says that with the glass window on the softtop that I really won't need the hardtop? Does anyone have a hardtop and does it just sit in the garage?; (4) I plan to order the navigation system...The MBZ system (which I didn't get) is not very good...I looked at the RL system and their navigation is great...Is the Porsche navigation and screen and interface good and worth it? (5) Does anyone know what changes, if any, are in store for 06? For example, I have an integrated phone in my 500E and its great for my needs...my salesman told me that Porsche has no integrated phone that is concealed like my MBZ and that Porsche hasn't yet figured out how to do a phone. Any feedback would be great. ABK

Last edited by abk; 03-30-2005 at 07:27 PM.
abk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 08:02 PM   #2
Lux

Sure there's plenty of Base model buyers that don't regret getting an S...as well as some that do regret not getting an S. But there's definitely no S owners that regret not getting a Base.

BTW, too much hp? This is the first time I've ever heard someone say that.

-
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 08:39 PM   #3
abk

Ok Lux...your right...I'll be honest...I miss my 928...which my wife would never drive (she can't drive a stick)...so I got a 500E which is like a rocket...she won't drive that either...too much power...so, yes, I am whipped....I am trying to find a car that we can both drive...so I am getting a tiptronic...When I drove the S, it was like a rocket and no lagging in 1st or 2nd...but, I think it will be too much for her...and my salesman agrees...for my type of driving (I live and work in Marin), he is recommending the base non-S....besides these factors, which I know sound ludicrous, the non-s seemed lighter and more balanced....Oh, by the way, I am not compromising for the other half...
Old 03-31-2005, 06:18 AM   #4

Talking

If it were me, I would get an S. It is simply a better car for any situation I can think of. Torque down low, HP up high.

If you are getting a Tip, a base Box will disappoint!

A tip on the S works rather well.

IMHO!
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 06:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by abk
Ok Lux...your right...I'll be honest...I miss my 928...which my wife would never drive (she can't drive a stick)...so I got a 500E which is like a rocket...she won't drive that either...too much power...so, yes, I am whipped....I am trying to find a car that we can both drive...so I am getting a tiptronic...When I drove the S, it was like a rocket and no lagging in 1st or 2nd...but, I think it will be too much for her...and my salesman agrees...for my type of driving (I live and work in Marin), he is recommending the base non-S....besides these factors, which I know sound ludicrous, the non-s seemed lighter and more balanced....Oh, by the way, I am not compromising for the other half...
i believe the s weight 80lbs more, which with 40 more hp, wider tires, beefed up suspension and better , bigger brakes, you would not notice...the s was the better sports car when i drove then back to back..faster, better handling, quicker steering...but it is also 10 k more, so its up to you whether its worth it..to me, s the makes the bosxter a competetive with bigger, high powered sports cars
scycle2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 06:52 AM   #6

I have driven a Tip S and currently have a std Box with Tip. With the tranny in "D", the fact that it starts in second gear softens the response to the point where I didn't think there was a great deal of difference off the line between the S and the standard car. To start in 1st you have to either floorboard the throttle, or shift into manual.
I would doubt seriously that your better half would have any trouble with the Tip S. She is more likely to squawk about not having anywhere to put her purse when both of you are in the car.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 07:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
Sure there's plenty of Base model buyers that don't regret getting an S...as well as some that do regret not getting an S. But there's definitely no S owners that regret not getting a Base.

BTW, too much hp? This is the first time I've ever heard someone say that.

-

Exactly Lux. You never hear an S owner say he should've bought a base model. The extra money is worth it. The car has to have some good get up and go. It is a porsche afterall. I still wish my whip had 40-50 more hp. The S has just enough power to keep me entertained. After driving E49 M5's and M roadsters most everything else tends to seem slow. If the wife can't handle the power of the S then tell her not floor the gas. She doesn't have to use all the power on tap. I would never compromise my sporsts car decision for the wife....you will regret it.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 08:33 AM   #8

" I would never compromise my sporsts car decision for the wife....you will regret it."

No truer words were ever spoken!
Old 03-31-2005, 08:46 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
Of course, you can always find a wife that loves sports cars as much as you do, and has pictures of ferraris and porsches all over her office

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 08:58 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Shortbus Send a message via MSN to Shortbus Send a message via Yahoo to Shortbus
Well I drive a base boxster with trip., and mine's a 98, so it's the 2.5L engine mind you (not even the 2.7L). And I came to this car from a 350Z. I also test drove a Boxster S before deciding on mine. Like you, I came from the perspective of too much horsepower for my needs (350Z). Yeah it's great having huge HP and pulling 130 mph, but for a daily commuter car that I never tracked that was utterly useless and would eventually get me in a butt load of trouble anyway. Might sound weird (whipped) for a lot of guys but I enjoy my car for how well balanced it feels overall, and how comfortable it is to drive to work and back everyday in it. I didn't even notice much difference in power in the S vs mine under normal driving conditions. The S is stiffer though. Good for racing, bad for commuting. To me, the 2.5L engine still has enough power to scare me for a daily commuter car. I guess if I raced or tracked then a S would have been necessary. But then my 350Z would have also been great. It really depends on what YOU intend to do with it, different people buy boxster for different reasons, so what makes sense for one might not for others. Good luck either way you go you're getting an awesome car! :dance:
Shortbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 09:29 AM   #11

Brucelee, you must believe in the old adage, "Wives come and go, but a Porsche is forever."
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 11:29 AM   #12

Well, after going through the "my ex-wife is the Anti-Christ" phase, I simply was lucky enough to find a wife who loves me and my cars.

Hey, this MIGHT BE heaven! If it is, I am OK about it! :dance:
Old 03-31-2005, 12:40 PM   #13

Smile

I have a 03 base with tip and like shortbus came from a 350Z. The Z has tons of power and torque but was rough around the edges and doesn't compare to the boxster in handling and overall comfort. As far as the tip in a base model it is a bit sluggish if left in Drive but if you put in manual mode it performs nicely. I do not regret getting a base but would probably get a stick if I had it to do over again.
03box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 03:34 PM   #14

abk

Let me asume that money is not an issue but your wife is to some degree.

I am a "waiter", I've ordered an '05 S to replace my '99 standard. I am in your age group and like you have no intention of tracking my new love. That is not to say that I do not on occasion enjoy slaming my right foot to the floor, thusly the S. BTW my wife loves it also and she will not drive it. Afraid of breaking it - that works. Ask youself if you want the power on tap. Your wife can drive these cars in any fashion she would like, such as easy, as I do most of the time, well about 90%, ok 80% but still the car is a pure joy in either case.

Your next guestion asks about PASM, you say your E500 has this option and you like it. I believe that Porsche's will only stiffen your ride more than standard, read track use. There is also the ability to allow to push handing closer to the edge. You probably don't need either of these things.

Do you like the looks of the hard top? It will keep the canvas cleaner, and my bet is that it is quieter inside with it.

I sure do hope the navigation system is all it is said to be, ask the salesman to see it either on the 987 or 997. Take your time, a Sept/Oct car does not have to be ordered now.

I don't feel there will be much change in the '06 987 except for the Cayman.

Let me ask you, will this be a lease with the company picking it up, if so "get it all".

You did not mention Bose, xenon lamp, full leather, steering wheel w/ controls on it, or are these things a foregone conclusion? Duh!
graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 08:54 PM   #15
abk

Guys...I just got back from dinner with my wife...we had a heart to heart talk...I told her I am taking my final pre-purchase test drive tomorrow with my car--nut-expert 26 yr. old son...(he is coming along to test drive a stick only)...She asks me: What are you going to do with the 500E if you buy the boxster...I said: Well, I could try to teach you to drive it and feel comfortable...She gave me the ok on the boxster, she said she will drive it, but...As far as the S vs. non-S, I really appreciate the feedback, clearly there are two points of view...one is that the non-S is well balanced and just fine for daily driving and the other point which is that its nice to have the S when you are feeling good...So tomorrow I will make up my mind after my second test-drive....Greybeard, of course I am getting the the lighting, fully leather and bose...these are fun things to have and come in handy....The hardtop, I can order later (here in Marin County the weather is usually very good)...your comments on not needing the PASM and the Chrono are exactly what my salesman and son tell me, so I will really check it out tomorrow (there is a 911 in the showroom with the chrono plus...my son thinks it looks tacky and "stuck on and out of place"...So tomorrow night I will post the outcome of my test - drive....By the way, the sales said that to order an 06 that may cost 65k, they want a 10K deposit to be applied to the drive-off...(by the way, its not someone elses company car, just my own business expense)...I am planning to lease it with an option to buy if the numbers work out....I am going for black, with the grey full leather and a grey top, 18 S wheels, tip, PCM, bose, climate control, lighting, heated and power seats...I will let you know if I order the pasm and chrono. ...finally, the salesman told me MSRP on an order...no discounts or mark-up...they don't have the pricing or options changes for 06...Again, many thanks, Greybeard, 03 Box, Shortbus, Brucelee and Ronzy...and yea, I am tempted not to consider my wife on this..and who knows, maybe I will give up on her (only with respect to the car) and go for the S. I can't wait to make the decision...thanks again for taking the time to help me out.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:17 AM   #16

You bet! One last word.

I have never had a customer come back to me and tell me he regretted buying the S, esp with the Tip trans (which is a fine trans BTW!).

Best of luck.

Old 04-01-2005, 12:01 PM   #17

abk

Give the two tone interior a look see. It is gray and black just enough to brake up the monochrome look of one color, things tend to stand out more. IMO
graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 01:53 PM   #18
abk

Hey Guys...Brucelee and Greybeard...just came back from my test drive with my 26 yr. old son...he is a total car person...reads everything, knows everything, but not yet old enough to afford what is cool, but he totally loved the Boxster...and even more-so the S...he thinks its a perfect car....We drove both the S and non-S and his recommendation is get the S and that it won't be too much for my wife...so, the decision is being put until after I take my wife in on Sat or Sund...I want her to check out the S tip, because I will predict that it will be too much for her (my son disagrees because he says that she will never run the gears to the point where it will be noticed)...whatever I get, I know I will be happy...to have the engine behind you and the effect that has on the handling is unique....Brucelee, you sound like you are in porsche sales...when I brought the S back to the dealer, my salesman said the same thing...Greybeard...I was able to see the two-tone black\grey on a boxster that was in for service...I too thought it sounded great, especially on a black boxster...but I saw it in person and will go with the grey full leather. Has anyone had experience with the soft leather inserts (which I am planning to order)? Also, I am getting the car in black..Any thoughts on the black soft top vs the grey soft top? Finally, my salesman is trying to get me into one of their boxsters in stock (for obvious reasons)...he claims I can get a better deal and the 06 model he claims "could" increase in price by 5-10% because of the euro...Any feedback on the possible price increase? My feeling is that if I am in no rush to get the car and the 06 production starts in July, I may as well wait for the new model and any improvements. I am willing to take the risk on the price change. Thanks again for your feedback.