Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2010, 12:19 PM   #1

Exclamation Does your Boxster make you take silly risks?

Something about this month that I can't explain. I have probably risked mine and others lives twice by overtaking which turned into a bad decision when it was too late.

First time I overtook a car plodding along 30 mph in a 60 but the road went to one lane after the roundabout (those ones where there are two lanes coming off the roundabout that merge to one lane shortly after), I didnt have enough time to make it past the car before my lane vanished so being a prat went across to the other side of the road which was separated by a barrier and drove their side for 100 yards before being able to get back into my own lane. Nothing was coming but it was still reckless and has me feeling crap about it.

The second time I was stuck behind a trail of 3 cars, we all came to a roundabout that had two approach lanes. I went in the outside lane (fast lane) and floored it, made it past two cars on the roundabout itself but the 3rd car (the one going slow at the front) put his foot down and didnt want me going past, i was already accelerating hard and had already committed to a 3 car overtake, I ended up going past at about 70 mph and squeezed through a gap between the car im overtaking and an oncoming car. Now that for me was way over the top. I was pissed off at the car im overtaking for suddenly accelerating and the on-coming car that had 3 lanes all to himself but chose to come as close to me as he could, almost like a game of chicken. I would say there was only 6" either side of me as we all went past each other.

So. Either bad luck, bad decisions or I need to get a slower car so not tempted to hear that lovely exhaust note so much!

Anim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:29 PM   #2

Garage
Well to your credit the first step in solving a problem is realizing you have one.

It is fine to make mistakes as long as you learn from them and don't repeat them and of course you don't harm anyone in the process. The problem is, if you take greater and greater risks on the road then the problem will solve itself eventually.

Maturity behind the wheel takes time. The best drivers do not endanger others or themselves.

Perhaps you can attend some track days at a local circuit and get your adrenaline pumping in a safe way. Knowing that you have a track day coming up can go a long long way to keeping your foot out of it on the road.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:53 PM   #3

Garage
What cured me was I was driving on a very long flat two lane road in a pickup truck. There was a tractor trailer driving in front of me and cars behind me. I could see the oncoming traffic and the cars were far enough away for me to pass safely.
Or so it seemed.

I pulled out and accelerated to pass the truck, as I got around to the side of the truck I saw there was another car in front of the tractor trailer. The cars behind me had filled in my place behind the truck and I had no way to slow and get back behind. I looked at the oncoming traffic as I floored the vehicle, I was committed and had no where to go except to pass the car in front of the semi.

Time slowed down as I watched the oncoming traffic. I was absolutly certain that I was about to die. There were no value judgements about it it was just a certainty and I could do nothing about it.

Fortunately the truck I was driving was new and the engine was strong and at the very last second I was able to get over in front of the car in front of the truck.

After I realized that I was not dead I started shaking so hard I had to pull over to compose myself.

I will spend half a day behind slow moving trucks now if I have to and it does not bother me a bit, it beats dying.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
Time slowed down as I watched the oncoming traffic.
I got that too, I guess when we panic or see certain danger then our time and perception are enhanced somehow, unless your drunk of course then you get the opposite.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:52 AM   #5

I don't know how old you are, anim, but the advice above about doing track stuff is good advice.

I was quite over the top when young, but the first season of SCCA racing took that street nuttyness out of me.
Consider some of the extensive track events you have in UK.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:07 AM   #6
JTP

The silliest risk my Boxster made me do is to buy it.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:11 AM   #7

Yeah, its the car. It drives itself.

I bet your dog eats your homework too!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:18 AM   #8

.........ouch
Old 02-08-2010, 05:16 AM   #9

I can't throw too many stones, as an idiot 19 year old, I stood on one foot of my Seca 750 @about 75 mph, I'm 6' 1" btw... We used to call it the flying eagle although I'm not sure if it was a common name and behavior.

So when did I have my MCY accident? When a pregnant woman ran a stop sign, god knows there were other times I deserved to die, anyhow being around to remember it now changes my trajectory. When you drive any sports car there are always driving "gunfighters" who want to "go". If you raced every challenge you would forget where you were going....

Last edited by eightsandaces; 02-08-2010 at 05:19 AM.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote