Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 10:14 AM   #1

Thumbs down So, I phoned Porsche today and they told me that it never snows in the UK!

Well not quite but I'm getting a bit pissed off with the tyre approval system they force upon us.

I want some "All Season Tyres" as it keeps getting below zero degrees where I live, snows a fair bit and the N rated summer tyres are like driving with plastics wheels.

It's fact that below 7 degrees the compound in a summer tyre hardens more so than normal and doesn't get warm at all. This = very dangerous.

So, I phone my local Porsche centre and say "Service please......Hi, can you tell me what All Season tyres I can purchase for my Boxster?" The response was an "Errrrrr" so I explained that there are tyres for summer known as Ultra Performance tyres, there are tyres for Winter and there are All Season Tyres that attempt to do both.

The lady from services, although was very nice said she would have to call me back.

She called me back and said there are none. You can not get anything other than N rated summer tyres, there are no all season tyres available in the UK at all.

That rattles me. I thought safety would be something that Porsche take seriously.

when the lady said "is there anything else I can help you with" I said "How busy is the body shop this time of year?"

All in a joking way of course!

Anim

Anim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:25 AM   #2

Don't take this the wrong way, but I think you're too hung up on "N" rated tires. I have a feeling if Porsche recommended owners should jump off a cliff some would do it.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:26 AM   #3

Either she was lying or did not know what she was talking about. Almost every Porsche dealer offers "winter snow tires."

You can go to any regular tire shop and look for All weather tires that will fit your rims.

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile..._4015248_n.jpg
PlayersExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersExpress
Either she was lying or did not know what she was talking about. Almost every Porsche dealer offers "winter snow tires."

You can go to any regular tire shop and look for All weather tires that will fit your rims.
Not necessarily true in UK.
Remember these are the same folks who have security cameras on every corner.
All for the "common good" of course.
It may be that if a manufacturer doesn't "approve" tires for use on your car, the tire (excuse me, "tyre") dealer may not be allowed to install them.
Their is a lot about liberty we Americans take for granted, and should not.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:39 AM   #5

Hmmmm. I never thought about that since I only buy summer tires. Just checked he TSB for approved tires and nothing for all season or winter.

I'll check for a separate TSB for all season later.

Tire Rack showed one Pirelli Winter 240 SnowSport as "OE Approved." Not on the TSB I have.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:59 AM   #6

Well there is a TSB for Winter Tires and Chains under 987-2. And a Pirelli is on it as a 240 Sottozero Serie II. There are some others if anybody wants them.

The TSB is for 987s as of 09. Did not see one except for summer under 986.

Edit -- Oops, found it. And it differs from the 987.

TSB are viewable (but not printable or copyable) to contributing members at RennTech.org.
PCA since 1970

Last edited by 70Sixter; 02-05-2010 at 12:07 PM. Reason: change info
Old 02-05-2010, 12:21 PM   #7

I contacted a few manufactures about this and asked what N rated all season tyres/tires they sell in the UK and Continental said none as they dont have an EC?? rating on the tyre or something.

Bloody UK!
Old 02-05-2010, 12:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Don't take this the wrong way, but I think you're too hung up on "N" rated tires. I have a feeling if Porsche recommended owners should jump off a cliff some would do it.
I know, and agree but the difficult thing is trying to get any reputable garage to fit non N rated tyres to a Porsche. Most will not do it as they fear you wont be insured and they become liable somehow.

Which is BS as I phoned my insurance company up and they said they dont care about the tyres as long as I don't change the wheels.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:28 PM   #9

Don't waste your time and $$$ on all season tyres. They're a compromise and err on the side of high performance rather than winter traction. Buy a dedicaated set of winter tyres and wheels and drive with peace of mind.

I speak from experience. Punkin currently has her Blizzaks on.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:35 PM   #10

Based on your pics you need a tractor not a Porsche lol
Old 02-05-2010, 02:25 PM   #11

The TSB for 986 winter/snow tires and chains is 5/04 4400 Binder Group 4. The are various ContiWinterContact VS 790 N0 and Pirelli W240 SnowSport N1 and N3 tires, err tyres.

Edit - the Contis are listed as "for heavy snow areas."

No other brands listed. Again 987s are different.

Ask your service advisor to pull the TSB and determine which are sold in the UK or can be imported.
PCA since 1970

Last edited by 70Sixter; 02-05-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:01 PM   #12

And some people don't see any problems with letting the gov get more and more power and write more and more regs??
Did you catch anim's comment about the insurance company says it's alright on tires, err tyres, as long as he doesn't change wheels??
He can basically only use the tyres listed on Porsche factory tech service bulletins because all the shops are afraid of what might happen to THEM if they mount some other tyre??

I can hear it now........."Hello, Joe at Tire rack? I want you to ship me a set of those trick new Advans in 235/40 18 and 265/40 18. Yes, a pair of each. They are going to be mounted on what? Well, I don't know why you care, but on my Porsche Boxster S auto-cross wheels, why? What do you mean you're only allowed to sell me Michelin Pilot Sport 2's for this car..............."
Old 02-05-2010, 04:14 PM   #13

Yeah I caught that as well which just sounds crazy to me. The regs and government involvement in the UK are a bit on the scary side. I think we do take some of our freedoms for granted over here.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:01 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Yeah I caught that as well which just sounds crazy to me. The regs and government involvement in the UK are a bit on the scary side. I think we do take some of our freedoms for granted over here.
You guys don't know how lucky you are living in the "free world" Euro bureaucracy sucks!
Christian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:41 AM   #15

Well, first thing you guys are not on the EURO...the English Pound is alive and well. Second, why did you let in some many of those crazy foreigners in...they need those cameras to keep track of their movements. Screw the French. Call a German Porsche dealer and ask them what kind of tire is good for you.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:37 AM   #16
JTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian H
"Yeah I caught that as well which just sounds crazy to me. The regs and government involvement in the UK are a bit on the scary side. I think we do take some of our freedoms for granted over here."

You guys don't know how lucky you are living in the "free world" Euro bureaucracy sucks!
I always thought Jeremy Clarkson's rantings about the British government was just that, his rantings. I didn't think there was that much government control over there.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:12 AM   #17

Its not "legal" requirement to have N rated tyres but it seems Porsche have been forcing it down drivers throats for so long that the Garages take it as gospel now.

When I asked a particular highly rated tyre place if I could put non N rated tyres on it the two workmen that heard me both sucked in air through their teeth and said "oooh I wouldnt If I were you, your insurance wont be valid" I said "no thats not right, I phoned them, they said they dont care" they didnt have any reply to that, then one of the engineers said "They are made specifically for Porsche cars, handling and stability etc". I said "Yes, but this is a Boxster, its one of the least powerful, it has a mid engine design so surly you cant just lump all Porsche cars into the same tyre requirement?" They didnt say anything to that either so I said "will you put on non N rated tyres at all?" and they said "we have done the odd few in the past but the drivers never liked em"

I gave up at that point lol

Anim