View Single Post
Old 02-07-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
landrovered

Garage
What cured me was I was driving on a very long flat two lane road in a pickup truck. There was a tractor trailer driving in front of me and cars behind me. I could see the oncoming traffic and the cars were far enough away for me to pass safely.
Or so it seemed.

I pulled out and accelerated to pass the truck, as I got around to the side of the truck I saw there was another car in front of the tractor trailer. The cars behind me had filled in my place behind the truck and I had no way to slow and get back behind. I looked at the oncoming traffic as I floored the vehicle, I was committed and had no where to go except to pass the car in front of the semi.

Time slowed down as I watched the oncoming traffic. I was absolutly certain that I was about to die. There were no value judgements about it it was just a certainty and I could do nothing about it.

Fortunately the truck I was driving was new and the engine was strong and at the very last second I was able to get over in front of the car in front of the truck.

After I realized that I was not dead I started shaking so hard I had to pull over to compose myself.

I will spend half a day behind slow moving trucks now if I have to and it does not bother me a bit, it beats dying.