Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2012, 08:05 PM   #21

Garage
I got the fabspeed race exhaust. I haven't heard any others in person so I cant compare. Drones bad 2-3k, especially under load on the highway. But I let my friend drive it, sounds amazing

aclark133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #22

if I want to cruise around in silence and comfort Ill just drive my X3, I have my P-car for a visceral experience, I want to hear it, feel it and love it......most of the exhausts on the market are not loud enough for me. A straight pipe would be TOO loud, I want something JUST a little quieter than that. my NHP is way too quiet.
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:52 PM   #23

Garage
I have had a Gemballa installed recently. The first couple of weeks were ok and then it settled down. It sounds like a monster under hard acceleration and nice and throaty under soft acceleration e.g. moving around a car park. It does drone, that's just how it is. Drone is a funny thing though and is in the eye of the beholder. In my first few weeks I had a head cold and I swear it was giving me a headache through the resonance in the cabin but now I am either used to it or it has settled. Depending on gear, let's say second gear the drone is somewhere between 2400 and 2900rpm.
With the roof down it is another story again - it is just awesome!
notworthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:47 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowboxster01 View Post
The Fabspeed though is a beautifully built, solid, package and it has secondary cat delete pipes that are proprietary to the muffler, they aren't the same ones you can buy separately.
I have the Fabspeed exhaust and was thinking about purchasing the 2ndary cat delete from a member here for about $150. They're not fabspeed.

What do you mean fabspeed pipes are proprietary to the muffler? Isn't it just a bypass pipe?
ohhh my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:29 AM   #25

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhh my View Post
I have the Fabspeed exhaust and was thinking about purchasing the 2ndary cat delete from a member here for about $150. They're not fabspeed.

What do you mean fabspeed pipes are proprietary to the muffler? Isn't it just a bypass pipe?
There's nothing propriety about the Fabspeed bypass pipes whatsoever . They're designed to work with just about any exhaust configuration one has on his or her 986 .
Old 04-20-2012, 10:47 AM   #26

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhh my View Post

Incorrect wording. Fabspeed makes a muffler with 2" inlet pipes & mid pipes to connect to it. Fabspeed also makes midpipes for oem mufflers. (1.75" inlet ?? )
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:10 AM   #27

TS Pro, Fabspeed, and NHP test pipes and exhaust components are all compatible with each other since the connections are all at the same points and they are at the same angles and sizes and diameters. I am not 100% sure about that, but I did Read somewhere it on some forum or thread that they were compatible.

I bought the TS Pro 1 test pipes and cat-back exhaust since it was the cheapest and I like the sound I heard on youtube. I still have not installed them so I cannot recommend them yet.

$170 for the test pipes new and average $300 for the TS Pro 1 Catback Exhaust System. There is no way the $2000+ NHP or Danske or Fabspeed exhaust and $400+ test pipes can justify there price over Top Speeds Pro 1 exhaust and test pipes. Especially since they all offer similar weight savings and hp gains and sounds.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:04 PM   #28

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Incorrect wording. Fabspeed makes a muffler with 2" inlet pipes & mid pipes to connect to it. Fabspeed also makes midpipes for oem mufflers. (1.75" inlet ?? )
I believe that you're the one who's incorrect. So far as I know, the standard bypass pipes that Fabspeed offers for universal fitment are 1.75' diameter . The 2' diameter bypass pipes are proprietary in so far as they are part of Fabspeed's latest complete catback designs . Therefore, it is my understanding that they're not only incompatible with oem and other aftermarket catbacks, but with earlier Fabspeed designs as well .

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 04-20-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #29

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
Believe that you're the one who's incorrect. So far as I know, the standard bypass pipes that Fabspeed offers for universal fitment are 1.75' diameter . The 2' diameter bypass pipes are proprietary in so far as they are part of Fabspeed's latest complete catback designs . Therefore, it is my understanding that they're not only incompatible with oem and other aftermarket catbacks, but with earlier Fabspeed designs as well .

: something that is used, produced, or marketed under exclusive legal right of the inventor or maker; specifically : a drug (as a patent medicine) that is protected by secrecy, patent, or copyright against free competition as to name, product, composition, or process of manufacture
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #30

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
: something that is used, produced, or marketed under exclusive legal right of the inventor or maker; specifically : a drug (as a patent medicine) that is protected by secrecy, patent, or copyright against free competition as to name, product, composition, or process of manufacture
Ok . What does this have to do Fabspeed's bypass pipe designs ?
Old 04-20-2012, 01:13 PM   #31
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Name and product, that's about it, and even then product is a stretch. Unless they have some sort of process that they can justify as needing protection, there's nothing proprietary about it. There is however, the possibility that they designed it to only be able to hook up to other Fabspeed parts, but I believe this has been proven to be false. While they may work their best with other Fabspeed parts, if all the items route the same way and have the same fastening features and faces, one should be able to mix and match and make a fine-sounding mess...maybe even find a setup that works better than what Fabspeed engineered..."better" being completely subjective per user.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:21 PM   #32

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
Name and product, that's about it, and even then product is a stretch. Unless they have some sort of process that they can justify as needing protection, there's nothing proprietary about it. There is however, the possibility that they designed it to only be able to hook up to other Fabspeed parts, but I believe this has been proven to be false. While they may work their best with other Fabspeed parts, if all the items route the same way and have the same fastening features and faces, one should be able to mix and match and make a fine-sounding mess...maybe even find a setup that works better than what Fabspeed engineered..."better" being completely subjective per user.
The point that I'm trying to make, is that the bypass pipes on their newer systems are not only larger diameter, but they route differently as well . About a year ago, I considered purchasing their latest race exhaust. At which time, they informed me that my current Fabspeed bypass pipes would be incompatible for the aforementioned reasons. I'm just trying to help !!

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 04-20-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:01 PM   #33

I have had the B&B for ~8-9 years...still loving it every single time I fire her up.

The only thing now is the semi oval/round tips are a little too small for me because I added the rear diffusers. I need something that will fill the space up more aggressively!

Hmm...maybe someone is willing to trade with me at a local muffler shop swap.

06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote