Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 07:40 PM   #1

What Exhaust would you recomend?

So I have been researching exhausts for a while now and havent been able to pull the trigger with one. It seems that either they dont sound any different than stock or sound terrible. Im looking for something that has that throaty Porsche sound, so not too high pitched or ricey. The youtube videos dont do any justice to the sounds so I though I ask you guys.

My criteria are:
- sound like PSE but louder or throatier.
- Nice big tips ( I really like the 03 boxster tips so somthing like that would be nice)
- not looking to spend more than $1,300 since I will be getting headers too.

Thanks

Gemballa front bumper/Aerokit I Sideskirts/H&R suspension/997 short shift/Schnell front&rear strut brace/Aluminum pedals and floor board//Traffic pro/Console Delete//LED exterior lighting//Exclusive Options Full Leather/19inch Ruf Wheels/European rear bumper with 550 mesh/Zientec spoiler/IPD Plenum//Cold Air Intake/Hardtop/Speedster Humps
Stunin_Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunin_Stud
So I have been researching exhausts for a while now and havent been able to pull the trigger with one. It seems that either they dont sound any different than stock or sound terrible. Im looking for something that has that throaty Porsche sound, so not too high pitched or ricey. The youtube videos dont do any justice to the sounds so I though I ask you guys.

My criteria are:
- sound like PSE but louder or throatier.
- Nice big tips ( I really like the 03 boxster tips so somthing like that would be nice)
- not looking to spend more than $1,300 since I will be getting headers too.

Thanks
Fabspeed, best sounding exhaust thus far and almost no resonance. If you email Fabspeed, you can get their system for $1495. A little more than you're wanting to spend but, well worth it. I've owned several different mufflers, Stebro race and sport, GHL, Borla, Schnell, and B&B. Excluding the Fabspeed from those the B&B had almost no resonance and a nice throaty sound. The Fabspeed though is a beautifully built, solid, package and it has secondary cat delete pipes that are proprietary to the muffler, they aren't the same ones you can buy separately.

Save yourself a headache (literally) and buy the best first time around. I can't say enough how much I love my Fabspeed and their customer/tech support was top notch.

http://fabspeed.com/Boxster.html

What headers are you putting on?

Last edited by yellowboxster01; 01-02-2010 at 08:29 PM.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:16 PM   #3
JTP

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "almost no resonance"? I've been looking for a good replacement system and I really like the Fabspeed exhausts but have read that these mufflers do drone a bit unless yours is different. I've seen two different styles for 986 from Fabspeed, one is a single wide unit and another two separate cans, and I'm not sure which was reviewed in various threads.

I've also heard good things about the FVD. Here's a review on a new Boxster.
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/boxster-cayman/196256-fvd-muffler-2009-boxster-s.html
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTP
Can you elaborate on what you mean by "almost no resonance"? I've been looking for a good replacement system and I really like the Fabspeed exhausts but have read that these mufflers do drone a bit unless yours is different. I've seen two different styles for 986 from Fabspeed, one is a single wide unit and another two separate cans, and I'm not sure which was reviewed in various threads.
I've got the dual canister which is their latest design. According to Fabspeed their original single canister didn't mount up at the stock points causing more drone than necessary so, they redesigned it.

All aftermarket exhausts have drone it's whether the drone is annoying or not though. Stebro's systems are annoying/headache drone that vibrates the entire interior of the car and your brain. Fabspeed doesn't have annoying resonance although it does have a slight bit of resonance. And the drone is only at about 2700 to 3000rpms. The Stebro's droned all the way from 2000-3000rpms, where you'd be in normal daily driving. 5th gear is where I hear the most resonance with the Fabspeed but, as I've said, it's not annoying and very faint.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowboxster01
I've got the dual canister which is their latest design. According to Fabspeed their original single canister didn't mount up at the stock points causing more drone than necessary so, they redesigned it.

All aftermarket exhausts have drone it's whether the drone is annoying or not though. Stebro's systems are annoying/headache drone that vibrates the entire interior of the car and your brain. Fabspeed doesn't have annoying resonance although it does have a slight bit of resonance. And the drone is only at about 2700 to 3000rpms. The Stebro's droned all the way from 2000-3000rpms, where you'd be in normal daily driving. 5th gear is where I hear the most resonance with the Fabspeed but, as I've said, it's not annoying and very faint.
If you don't mind me asking, why did you give up the B&B if it almost didn't drone, while giving a good sound? Did it still drone more than the Fabspeed?

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
If you don't mind me asking, why did you give up the B&B if it almost didn't drone, while giving a good sound? Did it still drone more than the Fabspeed?
I was offered a Borla in trade for it and wanted to try another. Looking back after a month I felt like a fool but, I decided to try another with the Fabspeed and I'm sold. Really is the best exhaust I've experienced and I'm sticking with it. The B&B and Fabspeed drone in the same spot but, the Fabspeed has a throatier more aggressive sound to it.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTP

I've also heard good things about the FVD. Here's a review on a new Boxster.
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/boxster-cayman/196256-fvd-muffler-2009-boxster-s.html
The FVD mufflers look identical to Dansk mufflers. I believe Dansk is the supplier for OEM Porsche mufflers also.

http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/Boxster_986-13-41/-/2001/group/items/VID_6257507-VCD_85158036-gid_30-start_0-total_6/Porsche_Tuning.html

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/986M/POR_986M_EXHmuf_pg1.htm

Looks like the exact same products to me.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:13 PM   #8
JTP

Yellowboxster, thanks for the input. I've been looking for a good exhaust for awhile now but difficult to decide on a good system that will not be overtly loud. The Fabspeed is looking better and better. When I return to NY, I'll have to make a trip down to Fabspeed in PA and see if they have a 986 I can listen to.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:57 PM   #9

JTP, I have the Dansk, it does resonate a bit but it's really only noticeable with the top up. Personally, unless one has the switchable sport muffler, I don't believe there is a performance muffler that makes the car louder with zero resonator effect. Having said that the Dansk isn't too loud, I'm considering the deletion of the secondary cats, a Fabspeed product, I wonder how loud that would be with a Dansk too?
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTP
Yellowboxster, thanks for the input. I've been looking for a good exhaust for awhile now but difficult to decide on a good system that will not be overtly loud. The Fabspeed is looking better and better. When I return to NY, I'll have to make a trip down to Fabspeed in PA and see if they have a 986 I can listen to.
Yeah, it's hard to judge exhaust note off a video online. That's what plagued me and why I went through so many. If they have a 986 there for you to listen to, I'm confident you'll find it to be what you're after.

I was very close to purchasing a Dansk w/super sound tips but, it seemed that for the price the Fabspeed had a lot more to offer. And like I've said previously, Joey@Fabspeed is a hell of a nice guy and knows the product inside and out.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:48 PM   #11

never too late to ask I hope: Yellowboxster, how does the GHLcompare to the other exhaust you've tried?
19" MHT Rims
Evo Intake, De-Snorkeled
CVstarBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:01 PM   #12

I've thought about going with straight pipes. Maybe someday.
Highlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #13

Im going to replace my NHP with a fabspeed race
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:18 PM   #14
Track rat

Garage
This is about the best sounding Boxster exhaust I have heard. No drone at all and it was very inexpensive to do.

Boxster S By-Pass Muffler Done!!!! - Pelican Parts Technical BBS
Old 04-18-2012, 01:01 PM   #15

I agree, as I have that exact modded muffler on my '02 S. The modified muffler, coupled with Fabspeed secondary cat bypass pipes has my car sounding like a junior GT3 RS.

All for far less than the aftermarket options and no drone or resonance.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #16

Love the sound of that bypass pipe .. can any 'competent' muffler shop do this ?

Also where can I get that pre bent pipe ? The pelican thread ended without an answer to that one...
vijen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #17

Can probably get the stainless from a muffler shop and the shop
could quite possibly bend it too.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #18

Make the Pedro Sport Exhaust
Old 04-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #19

Garage
I like my custom 9ff catback . It has 2.25" diameter piping leading up to 2.5" inlets and 3" outlets on the resonators followed by 3" piping straight through to the tips . The sound has a nice growl at idle that builds to an F1 type scream at mid to upper rpm's .
Old 04-19-2012, 07:47 PM   #20

I had so far (in addition to the stock exhaust):
* GHL: good sound, unbearable drone between 2k and 3k
* Stebro race exhaust: best sound EVER, less drone than GHL but still a good amount of drone and very, very, very loud

What I currently have is the stock exhaust modified by Mark @ Sporttech in Los Gatos (I see you're in San Jose)
What Mark does is opening the exhaust, removing all the baffling and changing the length of the inner tubes. Sounds now much like a C4S.
Cost was less than $500

If you're interested ping me and maybe we can figure something out so that you listen to it.

2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote