Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2010, 09:38 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Scare tactics.

Enjoy your car.
I'm at the 100k mark, and the basic maintenance and wear items are still the only things wrong with it. Just keep replacing the wear items as they fail, change your oil every 5k with the proper synthetic, and keep on driving her. I drive mine as though I stole it every time I take her out. IF the engine blows, then the fun truly begins anyway....

time to upgrade

Previous Toys:
2005 RX-8, RIP
1989 GTA, 5 Speed, Procharger Supercharger and 2 Core Intercooler, 1 3/4" headers, 3" Flomaster Exhaust, cat-delete, digital ignition, bigger fuel injectors
Oaktown 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:19 AM   #42
JTP

Jake really knows his business and will honestly tell people all that could go wrong with the car and since he's seen alot more destroyed engines than most of us combined I would trust his judgement. Having said that, his honest assessment of the M96 has the unintentional result of scaring people into wanting to sell their beloved Boxster. He wants to stay in business too and he will not succeed if everyone sold their 986/996s.
There's a chance my engine will implode but I will keep enjoying my car. I might get struck by a semi while driving my Boxster too but I will keep driving it rather than a Volvo. There was a chance I would have gotten blown up while I was in Iraq but I didn't and I kept doing my job and enjoying my time with my buddies. After becoming aware of the faults of the Boxster, one needs to balance their desire to enjoy the car and the chances of an engine failure, risk vs. gain.
If the failure rate was so high, Consumer Reports would not give it a 'better than average' reliability rating and I don't think most of us would continue owning these cars.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:32 AM   #43

Retrofit kit

I already order the retrofit kit bearing because I have to change the RMS anyway and taking advantage of that i will install de bearing!!! i am impresed of the fact that the guy from flat6 innovations told me that people that drive porsches like a Grand mother are the ones having the problems and people that race the cars don't. It looks like we have step on it a lot LOL!!!!
tony0214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:58 AM   #44
Engine Surgeon

I have been away over the Christmas period and today I am home sick with the Flu... So I thought I'd add a bit to this conversation.

I am a control freak and because of that the reputation of everything we sell has remained flawless. I do not give problems the opportunity to occur and today thats the only way to maintain perfection.

I do prefer to complete the IMSR procedure at my facility where we can evaluate the engine both before and after the process is carried out. We have had a couple of instances where the engine was found to have other impending issues and I refused to apply the bearing retrofit in fear that my work would be blamed for a failure. If the enginefails and it has the IMSR applied it would be fairly simple for someone to blame the bearing or procedure for some off the wall issue.

With us evaluating the engine before and after with dyno evaluations we are able to see exactly what our work has done to the engine and ensure that nothing is left untouched.

Yet again, I would rather ose a sale and lose money as to do a procedure that could forever tarnish the reputation of what Charles and I have expended so much development time in.

The key is sharing knowledge and making people informed of the issues and how to remedy them. Thats what 2010 is dedicated to here at my facility with classes, DVDs and other means of creating reference materials.

I certainly haven't seen a down turn in business, we are at 125% and wide ass open. If it was any better than this I would not know what to do, I guess we chose not to participate in the recession.

BTW- One poetr mentioned that he called my facility and was told that the crs that were driven easier failed more often, well that is the truth based on our numbers. He had talked to my assistant, Dean and ALL that Dean does here is handle failure calls and emails from all over the world while I do my work in the lab. He came in to 7 failure emails this morning! Some people say we are using scare tactics, but thats just not the case as we are only telling the truth and sharing it with the public. Not many people you'll find today are as straight forward as we are.
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:43 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby
ALL that Dean does here is handle failure calls and emails from all over the world while I do my work in the lab. He came in to 7 failure emails this morning! Some people say we are using scare tactics, but thats just not the case as we are only telling the truth and sharing it with the public. Not many people you'll find today are as straight forward as we are.
Man, I've never thought so seriously about selling my car.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:50 PM   #46
Engine Surgeon

That was 7 over the entire period of our Christmas shut down.. Thats not very bad at all, we've had 5 in one day before!
Old 01-04-2010, 04:39 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman
Man, I've never thought so seriously about selling my car.
Why?
Because Dean answers the phone at Jake's office?
That's kinda harsh.

Its a possibility that it could happen.
Its also a possibility that my chiropractor could break my neck, and kill me while making an adjustment, but its a small percentage. I know my life is worth more than a Porsche engine.

Heck, my new hip is worth more than a brand new Boxster S!

BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:27 PM   #48

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how many M96 engines are out there?
Old 01-05-2010, 09:07 AM   #49

cylinder wall crack

Quote:
That was 7 over the entire period of our Christmas shut down.. Thats not very bad at all, we've had 5 in one day before!
Hi Jake how many 02 Boxters M96's have you had with cylinder wall crack or cylinder failure??? because it looks like IMS is not the only problem with this engines. What I dont understand how is it possible that a $50000 grand car could come with so many problems not even KIA motors which I retain the worst car in human history has so many problems. And how 7 in a month is not bad???? we are talking about Porsche here!!!!! again not KIA
Old 01-05-2010, 10:28 AM   #50
Engine Surgeon

We have identified 20 modes of failure for the M96 engine.. The IMS is the most wide spread MOF, and there are instances where the IMS is blamed for a failure when it really isn't the root of the issue.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:30 AM   #51

Modes Of Failure

[QUOTE=Jake Raby]We have identified 20 modes of failure for the M96 engine.. The IMS is the most wide spread MOF, and there are instances where the IMS is blamed for a failure when it really isn't the root of the issue.[/QUOTE

Can you tell me what are these modes of failures besides the IMS which we already know. See i'm in the process of selling the car if is to problematic I will get rid of it. it meas there are 20 modes for the engine to blow??????? or general failures that could happen to any car????
Old 01-06-2010, 07:10 AM   #52
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
[QUOTE=tony0214]
Quote:
We have identified 20 modes of failure for the M96 engine.. The IMS is the most wide spread MOF, and there are instances where the IMS is blamed for a failure when it really isn't the root of the issue.[/QUOTE

Can you tell me what are these modes of failures besides the IMS which we already know. See i'm in the process of selling the car if is to problematic I will get rid of it. it meas there are 20 modes for the engine to blow??????? or general failures that could happen to any car????
All I can say is it is a shame you are being scared into wanting to now get rid of the car. Look- against all recommendations (most people would suggest changing your oil at shorter intervals), in the 8 yrs. I have owned my car, I have been only changing my oil at 12-15k mile intervals (using only Mobil 1 0W-40 motor oil), and at 61k miles now on my car, my engine still has not imploded (no D-chunk failure, no slipped sleeve issue, no IMS bolt failure, etc). I do not have an upgraded LN IMS bolt. I do not have the low temp thermostat installed. I do not have that magnetic oil drain plug, and all the other goodies. My engine is still running. Ain't that amazing?! Listen, there may be a hundred different ways an engine can fail, but that does not mean that your engine will not last well over 100k miles without doing any of these upgrades. The percentage that do fail...even if at a high rate of let's say 10%, means that the other 90% will never see any issues whatsover!

I'm not saying that you shouldn't do any of those so called upgrades if you are worried, but it is a shame you are being scared into possibly selling the car, and not enjoying what a wonderful car the Boxster can be because of what you are reading on the internet. Again, take a deep breath, and relax. You car will most likely not implode on you, as the failure rate is still a minority percentage relative to all the cars produced.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 01-06-2010 at 07:13 AM.
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:25 AM   #53

My advice, just drive the car and enjoy!

you're going to get very little money out of an '02 with 80,000 miles. I personally think catastrophic failure rates a greatly exaggerated, and it's probably between 1% and 10%.

If you like the Boxster, save what money you can and upgrade to a newer model, with fewer problems, when you can. The '06 has an improved IMS bearing that should hold up much better, the '07 has a revised drive chain configuration that will improve things more, '09+ has no IMS.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:45 AM   #54

Failures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
All I can say is it is a shame you are being scared into wanting to now get rid of the car. Look- against all recommendations (most people would suggest changing your oil at shorter intervals), in the 8 yrs. I have owned my car, I have been only changing my oil at 12-15k mile intervals (using only Mobil 1 0W-40 motor oil), and at 61k miles now on my car, my engine still has not imploded (no D-chunk failure, no slipped sleeve issue, no IMS bolt failure, etc). I do not have an upgraded LN IMS bolt. I do not have the low temp thermostat installed. I do not have that magnetic oil drain plug, and all the other goodies. My engine is still running. Ain't that amazing?! Listen, there may be a hundred different ways an engine can fail, but that does not mean that your engine will not last well over 100k miles without doing any of these upgrades. The percentage that do fail...even if at a high rate of let's say 10%, means that the other 90% will never see any issues whatsover!

I'm not saying that you shouldn't do any of those so called upgrades if you are worried, but it is a shame you are being scared into possibly selling the car, and not enjoying what a wonderful car the Boxster can be because of what you are reading on the internet. Again, take a deep breath, and relax. You car will most likely not implode on you, as the failure rate is still a minority percentage relative to all the cars produced.
i HAVE THE BEARING WHICH i'M SUPPOSED TO CHANGE THIS WEEKEND BUT i WANTED TO KNOW OTHER UPGRADES THAT i COULD DO TO BE SAFE DUE TO THE FACT THAT MY TRANSMISSION AND OTHER THINGS ARE GOING TO BE APART
THANKS IN ADVANCE
Old 01-06-2010, 08:09 AM   #55

I'm gad to hear you're keeping the car, and if the IMS bearing upgrade lets you relax and enjoy it, it's well worth it.

I believe the other failure modes require more engine disassembly, off the top of my head : timing chain tensioners, lifters (not catastrophic), C-chuck failures ( rare except for '99 or so ) , oil pump drive ( very rare, only racing? ), rod bolts ( very rare-racing? ), oil starvation under racing conditions ( only with racing tires? ), cracked heads ( rare ) , heat exchanger leaking water into oil ( rare ), water pump failure-broken shaft.

I believe you have a Tip, so no clutch issues?
Old 01-06-2010, 10:02 AM   #56

Failure Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson
I'm gad to hear you're keeping the car, and if the IMS bearing upgrade lets you relax and enjoy it, it's well worth it.

I believe the other failure modes require more engine disassembly, off the top of my head : timing chain tensioners, lifters (not catastrophic), C-chuck failures ( rare except for '99 or so ) , oil pump drive ( very rare, only racing? ), rod bolts ( very rare-racing? ), oil starvation under racing conditions ( only with racing tires? ), cracked heads ( rare ) , heat exchanger leaking water into oil ( rare ), water pump failure-broken shaft.

I believe you have a Tip, so no clutch issues?
YEs I have a tiptronic transmission, my car runs fine just bad air oil sep and some vacum leacks, valve cover and RMS leaks i am doing all that thi weekend and the bearing!!!!!! hopefully my cylinder walls wont crack
Old 01-06-2010, 03:11 PM   #57

Tony,
Keep us informed as to how it all goes with your Big Weekend.
Theres probably a lot of us out here interested in your bearing changeout.......
Steve Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:58 PM   #58
Engine Surgeon

[QUOTE=tony0214]
Quote:
We have identified 20 modes of failure for the M96 engine.. The IMS is the most wide spread MOF, and there are instances where the IMS is blamed for a failure when it really isn't the root of the issue.[/QUOTE

I have an article being completed for my site that illustrates and covers in detail each of the MOFs. A post detailing it would take 4 days to write.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:28 AM   #59

failures

Quote:
I have an article being completed for my site that illustrates and covers in detail each of the MOFs. A post detailing it would take 4 days to write.
Hi Jake!!!! well I thank you for trying to help me but by saying that it would take about 4 days to write I realized that Porsche is a piece of garbage beacause a car so expensive with so many problems??? I think it is worth to by a Corolla!!!!! at least never have a problem!!!
Old 01-07-2010, 12:04 PM   #60

Jake is a bit of a glass-half-empty kind of guy on this subject!