986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Blown Engine (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/23166-blown-engine.html)

tony0214 12-24-2009 03:50 PM

Blown Engine

Does anybody know how much is a 2002 boxter engine 2.7 H6 new or rebuilt???

gschotland 12-24-2009 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony0214

Search engine failure threads on this site. The number I've heard commonly bounced around is $13,000 installed for a factory replacement. Flat6Innovations can build you something better than factory, but it probably won't be any less, and it could be substantially more with performance enhancements.

jmatta 12-25-2009 06:44 AM

Agreed...click the upper right hand ad for Flat6...and read the engine posts on this forum. It will definitely steer you away from the temptations of an eBay/salvage yard motor!

jcb986 12-25-2009 08:19 AM

It's all about cost

If it's going to cost a bundle, them you might consider on buying another Porsche and sell the one you have as is. I seen some nice Boxster S and Carrera's for sale at very attractive prices...new and preowned:cheers:

JTP 12-25-2009 10:49 AM

How did you blow your engine?

mikefocke 12-26-2009 12:30 PM

Your options...

http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/sowhatcanyoudoiftheengineblows%3F

And the short answer $4k-20k depending...

Fred Demara 12-27-2009 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony0214

Hey Tony,

If you haven't, I suggest you click flat6innovations logo in the upper right corner of this page and call Jake Raby.

After my second engine failure, Jake walked me thru my options (about 45minutes of his time). Jake is the leading authority on fixing and maintaining our engines, and, he's a nice guy.

He might be able to give you some good suggestions. Best of luck.

Wingnut2u 12-27-2009 05:52 AM

I just replaced the 3.2 engine in my 2001 S with a used eBay engine and my total cost was approximately $8k

Engine $5k
Shipping, parts & installation $3k

tony0214 12-27-2009 05:54 AM

Blown Engine

I haven't blown the engine as a matter of fact my car only has 1128 and 1130 CE cell codes on. But I hear in different blogs that 2 out of 10 cars sold suffer from IMS problems so I'm kind of scared about it because as the other fellow said can cost $4 to 20 thousand to fix depends. But they also say that most of them happen before 50 thousand miles and mine has 80,000 so hopefully I have a better chance!!!!!. how often it happens????

mikefocke 12-27-2009 06:06 AM

No one really knows

the percentage of IMS failures except Porsche and there is no way they would tell.

Change your oil every 5k miles and drive it seems to be the best defense. If you are really worried, change the IMS bearing to a LNengineering bearing.

Paul 12-27-2009 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikefocke

Excellent article, thanks!

Another thing I've noticed about owners that I have replaced motors for:

Almost all of them sell the car within a year. When I ask why, they usually say: "It was running fine, but I can't trust the car anymore so I sold it while it was still in good shape."

tony0214 12-27-2009 10:28 AM

tiptronic

Based on the article the failure happens more on stick shift cars than tiptronic cars, the oil change is expensive but if you change the oil every 5000 miles and add a PROLONG bottle to it every time you change oil it should be maybe the only way to fight this problem. The key is maintaining the bearings lubricated to the max. anybody know for 80000 miles the oil that I should put???

Paul 12-27-2009 11:23 AM

The IMS bearing that fails is not lubricated by engine oil.

gschotland 12-27-2009 11:35 AM

Plenty of debate here on oils and no one right answer or even much consensus besides many thumbs down on Mobil 1, with "it's not what it used to be" being the common refrain. Look em up and read to your heart's content. Everyone's got their pet brands for varying reasons. There seem to be a number of good choices available. Some use 0W40, others 5 or 10, and some W50. I don't recall seeing anyone recommending a different oil based on mileage. If you're changing often enough, it seems this shouldn't be an issue.

My car's a little over 70k and I've been using Mobil 1 0W40 since 43k. Seems fine. When Jake did my IMS retrofit recently, we spoke at length about oils and he never said to start using a different weight at a certain mileage, just be diligent about changing it every 5k. He was referring to general engine health, not the IMS bearing which, as the last poster said, is sealed.

Based on the fact that the M1 0W40 can be a PITA to get around here (gotta order it by the case a week in advance) and LN Engineering, developer of the IMS retrofit bearing, sells 5 liter bottles of Motul 8100 5W50 for not much more, I'm going to buy a case of 4 - 5l bottles and give that a spin.

mikefocke 12-27-2009 11:43 AM

Not that expensive

I buy my filter and crush ring mail order, but the oil at a discount store. And for $32 my local fast-lube place puts it in (I'm lazy and old). Total around $60. So it comes out maybe $25 more than for my Honda. And a little more work to assemble the parts but not much..I buy in quantity. Heck I even hand them a freshly cleaned oil filler plug just because I have an extra one.

The IMS bearing is designed to not be lubed by oil (sealed grease) but, when the inner seal fails and the oil penetrates to the bearing, the oil is all the lubrication it gets. So the condition of the oil does matter to the life of the bearing.

The LNengineering replacement bearing is designed to be oil-lubed.

Every 5k or sooner. Good quality oil. No additives.

Paul 12-27-2009 03:25 PM

I've heard a rumor that Porsche is having a sale on Cayman S 3.4 factory rebuilt motors for $7000 with no core charge and a 2 year warranty.

tony0214 12-27-2009 05:51 PM

Ims

Are all your Boxters stick shifts?????

Paul 12-27-2009 06:15 PM

Yes, both are 5 speeds.

otis 12-28-2009 07:13 AM

hi everyone i'm brand new and this is my first post ever.We (wife and I) bought a 2002s last summer i have fallen in love with it,its a complete joy.So now after reading about ims failure and the fact we have no previous maint. doc. and no maintenence agreement i get a scared feeling every time i drive it! It has 44kmi and 6spd stk yellow black top,we posted it on craigslist.

JTP 12-28-2009 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otis
hi everyone i'm brand new and this is my first post ever.We (wife and I) bought a 2002s last summer i have fallen in love with it,its a complete joy.So now after reading about ims failure and the fact we have no previous maint. doc. and no maintenence agreement i get a scared feeling every time i drive it! It has 44kmi and 6spd stk yellow black top,we posted it on craigslist.

If you love it so much, why sell it? The chance of engine failure exists in every car, and although the threat of IMS failure is real, there are ways to alleviate or reduce the likelihood of an IMS failure. You can easily search for them here. Forums like this one are full of people who are really into their cars and tend to talk about every aspect of the car, some good and some bad, more than your average consumer. Porsches are high performance sports cars and require more maintenance and care than say an old Honda or Chevy but the driving experience is worth the cost. Don't give into fear and sell the car out of a "possible" failure that has not occurred and may not ever occur.