Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2009, 08:22 AM   #121

I checked online at half a dozen vendors and they all sell the pipe in a kit along with a cotton filter for approx $200-$250. I wonder can you get just the intake tube, clamps, and rubber boots? I don't need the filter.

Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:49 AM   #122

Here is a pic of in on the car for reference here. It is made out of a composite or plastic right? I wouldnt' waste my time if it was metal, but it doesn't appear to be.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:47 PM   #123

I'd pondered the thought in the past as well, to mate the AFE intake piping/tube with my current "hot air" Agency Power intake, but I really wonder if actually swapping out the oem tubing for the aFe unit will make any real world noticable gains.

In theory, it seems like it could/should help out, but I'm wondering if the cost:gains can be justified...

Looking forward to what any brave souls find out!

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:34 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Everytime I try to go to Pedro's page the computer is so slow it nearly locks up. It makes it nealy impossible to navigate his site. Is it just my computer, or is anybody else having issues? I'll try my lap top at home and see if I have the same issue there as well.
Looks like it was built with iWeb, which while easy to use, doesn't exactly produce efficient websites. Most of the text, for example, has been converted to images. This makes files much larger, in turn taking longer to load.

That said, I've had no problems viewing his page.
Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:17 PM   #125
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobiam
I'm wondering about that missing flex section on your new pipe. Will engine torqing and vibration possibly dislodge the new pipe? Or is that compensated for by the connecting sleeves?

Re your mods, I am wondering if you would notice more improvement because adding intake improvements possibly balance with the exhoust improvements, thereby getting more out of the intake than a stock car would. Perhaps speculation is the best we can do without lots of dyno time.

Bobiam
Bobiam, you can see the size of the connecting sleeves in the pictures posted by Adam. They are rather large and once installed, I felt comfortable about them staying attached. At the same time I plan on looking closely after some miles to make sure everything still looks good.

Your second question is also a good one. I wish I had an answer, but I don't. It would have been nice to have baseline dyno data to quantify any improvements. Since I don't I probably won't do any post-mod dyno tests. I'm just hoping the butt-dyno can detect an improvement. Maybe Jake or someone can answer the question, I'm curious too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay
I was just about to make my own from turbo tubing. How is the quality of the AFE tube? I notice there are no "flared"/over sized ends to make the connection with the air box and and throttle body.

How is the fit...any air leaks? How much did you pay for the tube/
jaykay, the quality of the material is quite adequate IMO. It is a hard plastic that is smooth on the inside with some texture on the outside. I do think it could be made better. The size isn't perfect and it therefore doesn't line up perfectly with the throttle body or the air box. Not having the flexible ribs like the OE tube exacerbates the installation process. You have to rely on the large flexible bands to give you enough play to make the connections. I like the design of the OE tube as far as the connection area and clamps. I've only driven a short distance but so far no sign of any leaks. Hopefully this weekend I can put on more miles and check the connections. AFE was willing to sell me the tube, connecting bands and clamps minus the price of the air filter which I didn't need or want (I recently installed a BMC filter). I however bought the whole kit and sold the air filter to a friend for his Boxster. I believe the whole kit was just under $250. Like I said in the earlier post Pedro's solution is probably the most cost effective and just as functional as any. If you are able to make your own I would probably go that route. Unfortunately I don't have very good fabrication skills so I figured I would give the AFE tube a try. If I don't like it I will put the OE tube back on and sell the AFE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-S
I suspect that the "wart" is a Helmholz resonator which would be designed to cancel noise at a certain frequency, in order to quiet the car down.
Blue-S, I'm looking forward to listening for changes at different RPM's especially while cruising at highway speeds. My initial reaction was good but I only drove for a short distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
I wonder can you get just the intake tube, clamps, and rubber boots? I don't need the filter.

It is made out of a composite or plastic right?
Adam, yes, they will sell you just the tube and clamps and it is made out of plastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudanova
but I really wonder if actually swapping out the oem tubing for the aFe unit will make any real world noticable gains. In theory, it seems like it could/should help out, but I'm wondering if the cost:gains can be justified...

Looking forward to what any brave souls find out!
chaudanova, my guess is just replacing the tube won't make any noticeable gains. I believe replacing the OE air filter with the AFE filter, or in my case, a BMC filter, is responsible for any HP and torque gains (I'm not an engineer so what do I know). I do think the tube will make a different intake noise. It is hard to justify the cost for this alone. But maybe I'm wrong, and in this case, a brave soul!

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:36 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb
Does anyone know the purpose of the oddly shaped piece on the tube from the air box to the throttle body? It is close to the throttle body end.
It's just a sound baffle to meet TUV standards and make it quieter.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 10-14-2009, 06:28 PM   #127

Thanks for answering all our questions ddb. Keep us posted on it once you get some more miles racked up.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:07 PM   #128

I just returned from the last DE of the year at Heartland Park over the weekend. I installed the Techno Torque 2 about a week prior to the event. I agree with Wingnut. There's a noticeable difference, not huge but enough that you can feel it. End of straight speeds were up about 5-7 mph. Is that the Techno Torque or me getting better coming out of the last turn onto the straight??? Probably a little of both, but out of the slow corners the car definitely accelerates a bit quicker. Overall lap times were down a few seconds. This is getting funner and funner.

Bob
7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
I'll never own another black car!
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:40 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O
This is getting funner and funner.
Thanks for your feedback guys.
Happy to hear you're satisfied.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 10-20-2009, 02:51 PM   #130
Porscheectomy

Any new dyno results?
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:11 PM   #131

I started a new thread in performance talk. Stay posted for dyno results.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:16 AM   #132

Just wanted to chime in on this topic since I just installed the TechnoTorque 2 this past weekend along with some of the other mods mentioned in this thread...

Quick background:

Bought a used 2003 2.7 last year with 26K miles. All stock. Got on these damn addicting boards shortly thereafter and my Boxster fever keeps getting worse!

First Porsche to own and this past weekend was the first time I put it in service mode and got to the engine.

Mods, upgrades, and maintenance performed on Saturday:

BMC1 air filter
AFE intake tube
Cleaned throttle body
Techno Torque 2

Also just had the following done a week prior:

Oil Change - Motul 5w40
LN Engineering - Spin on oil filter kit
160 degree thermostat
Water pump replaced - apparently was on the way out according to mechanic
Coolant flush

About Pedro and my order, it was mentioned earlier in this thread about Pedro sending out the TechnoTorque 2 prior to getting paid for the product and this was also the case with me. I actually got the TechnoTorque 2 and the TechnoBrace. Pedro sent both to me and said "pay me if you like it. Send it back if your not satisfied". I don't know how anybody can be treated any better!! So if you are on the fence, you have NOTHING to lose but time.

Thanks Pedro for being an outstanding member of this community!!

About the TechnoTorque2, it's exactly like you see in the pictures and is a really simple design. He uses the actual Porsche T and attaches his air splitter to it. The only recommendation I have for Pedro is that he give some thought to selling the parts as a kit so people can attach the air splitter to their own T's if they so desire. It seems like it would be an easy task and would save some people money if they are so inclined.

The AFE intake is pretty much like Adam described. It's basically a straight tube that replaces the factory tube with the wart on it. It is made out of thick plastic and is extremely rigid. I agree with Adam in that it would be nice if the tube was more like the factory to where it could flex when installing it. It also doesn't seem to align up perfectly either but it is close enough to not complain about. If your doing these similar mods I would suggest laying the AFE tube down first prior to re-installing the throttle body. I didn't do that and struggled getting the tube in not realizing the effort I would have to put into it, and then realized afterwards that if I'd just lay the tube down in its area prior to putting the throttle body back on, it would not be as much trouble. I also agree with Adam that Pedro's mod that accomplishes the same thing as the AFE tube is the more economical way to go. I think I paid around $235 for the tube and that is because I am lazy!

Once I got everything installed and back in place, I started her up. The first thing I noticed was that the idle was barely fluctuating between 975 and 1000rpms. Nothing real bad mind you but noticeable. Took it out for a spin and WOW!! The response was very smooth and was more responsive in the low and mid-range areas. The sound even picked up which I have to assume was from the BMC and the AFE tube. I drove her for about 30 miles and was completely happy with the results. Torque definitely improved on the low-end and mid-range. I could feel her pulling much better than before. After driving around and coming to a stop I noticed the idle was hovering right at 1100rpms. A little higher than normal but it was a smooth idle with the slight fluctuations I experienced earlier gone. I parked the car and then went to bed.

2 days later I took it out again to get my ECU to adjust to the mods as Pedro has stated it takes about 100 miles to accomplish this. Day 2 is where my problems started. The car started up fine and even idled correctly. The response in driving was still there from the night I took her out on her first run. Everything seemed normal then BANG! CEL.... I got about 40 miles on her prior so I don't think I have any leaks from my work but will have to see. After driving around a bit I noticed the idle was back at 1100rpms. Not sure what's going on there but I am going to install an 'S' oil cooler this weekend and I plan on cleaning the MAF to see if that is where part of my problem lies. Also at a stop light after the CEL came on, I noticed the temperature rise above 180 to the center mark which seemed really high considering the cool weather I was in. The car seemed fine outside of the CEL, 1100rpm idle and the engine temperature getting a little warmer than normal. I purchased the Durametric software as well as the Softronic ECU tune today so I am hoping that will solve my problems. I will post my results once I get it taken care of.

All in all, I am happy with the results. I just need to figure out what caused the CEL and get it fixed.

Hope that helps.

Greg
McLuvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:35 AM   #133
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Greg,

Nice mods and nice review. I've done much of the same recently and am thrilled with the way my car is running. It is just plain and simple more fun to drive. I haven't yet done an ECU flash but am going to do so as soon as I decide which vendor to go with. I'm closely following some of the threads on this topic.

As far as your CEL, I would guess it is an air leak or something unrelated to your recent work. I've been 300+ miles since installing my TT2 and AFE tube (and 1000+ since my exhaust and cooling system work) and no CEL.

I too have the LN 160 thermostat and it isn't unusual for my temperature gauge to rise when sitting in traffic. If you've properly completed the air purging procedure I wouldn't worry too much about the temperature. Just keep an eye on the coolant level and the gauge making sure they are OK. Let us know what you find about the CEL and how you like the Softronic upgrade.

Thanks,

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:59 AM   #134

Thanks ddb and after going back through the thread, I realized I referenced the wrong person. I meant to reference your comments and not Adam's about the AFE tube.

Yes, the mods have made the car much more fun to drive. It really is a nice improvement and I highly encourage others thinking about doing them to go for it.

Thanks for the feedback and I will definitely let you know how things turn out. As far as your decision is concerned about which flash vendor to go with, it's a tough call. Both Softronic and FVD get high praises from people that use them, so I struggled to make a decision myself. I ultimately went with Softronic because of a few minor things - a little cheaper, I believe they are the same company that programs the Durametric software, and they are in the US as apposed to sending your ECU files to Germany. I don't think you can go wrong with either vendor as they offer a very similar experience. Keep us posted on your decision as well as I would like to hear more from others on the topic.

Greg
McLuvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 04:04 PM   #135

Thanks for the write up Mcluvin. I would guess air leak as well but it wouldn't hurt to clean the MAF sensor and see if that clears up the CEL and idle hunt.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:31 PM   #136

any new updates?

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:44 PM   #137

Heading to the dyno tomorrow possibly. It finally stopped raining here.

Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote