Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2009, 02:46 PM   #1

Techno Torque 2

Has anyone installed a Techno Torque 2 from Pedro's Garage. The price seems reasonable, $260. If you did, did you notice any difference in performance?

Eric

E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 03:55 PM   #2

I believe it's comparable to this...

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:33 AM   #3

Eric-

Yes, I have installed the TechnoTorque in my '99 (approx 2 months ago) and ABSOLUTELY there is a noticeable increase. Pedro has details on his site w/ data to back up. TechnoTorque2 is for later MYs of the 986 but results are same.

Bottom line, I don't have a dyno, but I can tell you based on the car's reaction after installing, it took some time for the ECU to adjust to the increased airflow. Not just at WOT but also starting around 2800 RPMS. Once adjusted, there is definitely more pull/torque throughout. Plus the extra kick we're used to feeling when hitting the power band comes earlier - now in the 3300 RPM range.

The technoTorque replaces the OEM Plenum Tee (takes ~ 1hr to install). His insert eliminates turbulent air flow into the plenum and thus into the cylinders. In layman terms, think of it kind of along the lines of DFI but for air (yes I know it's not 100% correct as it would be more forced air induction but I'll use it as an example since most people understand DFI and the results of it).

Anyhow, I won mine at this years BRBS but I would definitely pay for and put one in my Boxster now knowing the positive results and minimal cost.

Go for it!

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 08-10-2009 at 06:37 AM.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:43 AM   #4

I would be very interested in Dyno before and after install. Even if you have to wait for you software to catch up to the change. I just hate to feel like a sucker.

My friend did put a vornado or what ever in his ford. He swears by it. I didn't have the heart to show him the true data on it. I think its similar to those magnets you put on your wrist or those pads you put on the bottom of your feet.

I have the utmost respect for pedro as his "free" site has saved me a small fortune. Anybody that goes to that much trouble to help other Boxster owners, has my vote for man of the year.

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg

Last edited by mptoledo; 08-10-2009 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Bad INFO, my bad!!
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mptoledo
oil in the second to last picture. (mobil 10w30)
Following Pedro's postings, hacks, explanations etc. for a number of years, I can tell you he made the switch to 10W30 for a good reason. If I recall correctly, it had to do w/ stopping the weeping from his RMS. Plus, the first # in the oil rating doesn't apply as much to his climate - south FL as the first # in the oil's weight rating is it's cold flow rating. Cold in south FL is just a tad bit different than cold here in PA (or OH) for 50 weeks or so of the year...

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:54 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Oh man......I'm buying it. Just give me a month or so.

I don't see what the point or porting and polishing the piece would be,wouldn't it make sense if the throttle body was ported and polished with it?

Does anyone know if the 3.2L S and the 3.4L 996 engine share the same plenum?
Old 08-10-2009, 08:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mptoledo
Now I have the utmost respect for pedro as his "free" site has saved me a small fortune, but look at the oil in the second to last picture. (mobil 10w30)
http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/Change_the_Oil_%26_Filter.html
I looked at the link you provided, and its an upside down bottle of 15W-50 in the picture. I don't get what you're talking about.

BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladecutter
I looked at the link you provided, and its an upside down bottle of 15W-50 in the picture. I don't get what you're talking about.

BC.

I stand corrected, I might need a monitor upgrade as It looked like 10W30 on my itty bitty screen. Thanks for the corrections, I will edit accordingly.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Kaplan
Has anyone installed a Techno Torque 2 from Pedro's Garage. The price seems reasonable, $260. If you did, did you notice any difference in performance?

Eric
I'd be very interested in seeing some independent dyno testing of this thing. Items like this always make me think of the millions and millions of dollars that Porsche spends on engineering... if it is actually beneficial, why didn't they do this in the first place? It makes sense on a basic level, but does it actually do anything measurable? Seat-of-the-pants testing doesn't count.

All of that said, screwing around with cars is what makes them fun. Way to go Pedro.
Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
I believe it's comparable to this...

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
It's far from The Tornado.
There's data on my website to back my claims.
Also wait a few days and I'll have a short video which shows how much more efficient the piece is.
I'm working on it right now. Should be up towards the end of the week.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 08-10-2009, 10:05 AM   #11

I made the switch from 10W40 ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster
Following Pedro's postings, hacks, explanations etc. for a number of years, I can tell you he made the switch to 10W30 for a good reason. If I recall correctly, it had to do w/ stopping the weeping from his RMS. Plus, the first # in the oil rating doesn't apply as much to his climate - south FL as the first # in the oil's weight rating is it's cold flow rating. Cold in south FL is just a tad bit different than cold here in PA (or OH) for 50 weeks or so of the year...

... (I've never used 10W30) quite a few years ago, as Burg says.
When my car developed an RMS leak, I decided to try a heavier blend (15W50) and it completely cured my leak.
I've been using it ever since.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Last edited by ppbon; 08-10-2009 at 10:52 AM.
ppbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:08 AM   #12

On my car I have the throttle body polished ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Oh man......I'm buying it. Just give me a month or so.

I don't see what the point or porting and polishing the piece would be,wouldn't it make sense if the throttle body was ported and polished with it?

Does anyone know if the 3.2L S and the 3.4L 996 engine share the same plenum?
... and ported. I highly recommend everyone do it.
My goal in making the TechnoTorque was to get as much efficiency as possible in the flow of air.
Because the factory "Tees" are left with all of the mold seams and rough surfaces, the first step was to polish to get laminar air flow.

The early 996s (3.4L) from '99 and '00 share the same Tee as the '97 through '99 Boxsters.
The '00 through '04 Boxsters need to go with the TechnoTorque2 which is somewhat different, but works in the same manner as the TechnoTorque.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Last edited by ppbon; 08-10-2009 at 10:10 AM.
ppbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:18 AM   #13

A few people share your concern...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samson
I'd be very interested in seeing some independent dyno testing of this thing. Items like this always make me think of the millions and millions of dollars that Porsche spends on engineering... if it is actually beneficial, why didn't they do this in the first place? It makes sense on a basic level, but does it actually do anything measurable? Seat-of-the-pants testing doesn't count.

All of that said, screwing around with cars is what makes them fun. Way to go Pedro.
... and that's why I encourage people to test and check and investigate and try before buying.
I even offer an iron-clad guarantee that if you're not 100% satisfied with any of my products you get a 100% refund. No questions asked.

Remember that Porsche made a fun car, a roadster, when the initially manufactured it.
They didn't set out to extract every single pound of torque or HP possible from the engine (they would slowly do that through the subsequent model years).
If that would have been the case, the initial Boxster would have had over 250 HP (100 HP per liter of displacement) which is standard for a super high performance engine, but it only had 201HP. So they left a lot of room for improvement and that's where I've been doing my R&D.
The newer 987s are close to that displacement/power range so they are MUCH harder to get any improvements from and why I haven't offered any performance-enhancing products for those engines.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 08-10-2009, 11:02 AM   #14

How are you determining that you have established laminar flow? At what velocities?

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:00 PM   #15
Track rat

Garage
I must admit the concept has merit. All my training has led me to eliminate flat surfaces and right angles in an intake or exhaust system to avoid turbulence and standing waves that interfere with ideal flow. Pedro has a product and in house testing to back it.

The next step is to get some unbiased, independent testing done to verify the claims. Logging 50 miles or so before re-testing to allow the DME to adapt to the change in plenum will be important. Other companies have developed their own plenum upgrade and testing results have been very mixed so far. I look forward to the results of further testing.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:20 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppbon
... and ported. I highly recommend everyone do it.
My goal in making the TechnoTorque was to get as much efficiency as possible in the flow of air.
Because the factory "Tees" are left with all of the mold seams and rough surfaces, the first step was to polish to get laminar air flow.

The early 996s (3.4L) from '99 and '00 share the same Tee as the '97 through '99 Boxsters.
The '00 through '04 Boxsters need to go with the TechnoTorque2 which is somewhat different, but works in the same manner as the TechnoTorque.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Well my Pops has a 01' 3.4L....so would the 00'+ TechnoTorque2 work on it as well?
Old 08-10-2009, 12:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppbon
It's far from The Tornado.
There's data on my website to back my claims.
Also wait a few days and I'll have a short video which shows how much more efficient the piece is.
I'm working on it right now. Should be up towards the end of the week.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Wow, I must be slow today, I just put it together, PPBON= PEDRO

Hey, Iv'e gotta give you a big shout out for all your help and your great site. Your next project should be how to "DIY" easily in about 30 minutes replace my IMS bearing!!(with only 1 wrench)

Sorry if I offended you by bringing up the vornado(not comparing it to). I too am interested in increasing hp at any "cost effective" way I can.

PS. You must have little itty bitty hands cause I couldn't get the ignition switch done your way. I had to take the side panel and vent off. It was actually "cake" after that!!

Old 08-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #18

All I know is that it is 650$ cheaper than a ipd plenum or rss plenum, what ever you want to call it. It is the same thing with factory parts and I think better because the abs plastic will not hold heat like a metal piece will. There are some real nice midrange gains on the ipd piece. I am not pushing ipd but the results seem great. I was hesitant from there price but I think for 260 I can manage. My .02

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFmLlwKD69w
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:19 PM   #19

I just got off the phone with pedro's garage and I may have to pick one of these up for my 3.4 I will dyno it before and after. Gimme a week or so and it will be done.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:24 PM   #20

This is similar to the intake manifold "turtles" that became popular on the Mopar Magnum engines. Basically, a small pyramid bolted to the flat bottom of the intake manifold to help direct air towards the runners. Multiple designs are offered based on RPM range.
These have been independantly proven to add a couple hp.