Thread: Techno Torque 2
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 11:16 AM   #132
McLuvin

Just wanted to chime in on this topic since I just installed the TechnoTorque 2 this past weekend along with some of the other mods mentioned in this thread...

Quick background:

Bought a used 2003 2.7 last year with 26K miles. All stock. Got on these damn addicting boards shortly thereafter and my Boxster fever keeps getting worse!

First Porsche to own and this past weekend was the first time I put it in service mode and got to the engine.

Mods, upgrades, and maintenance performed on Saturday:

BMC1 air filter
AFE intake tube
Cleaned throttle body
Techno Torque 2

Also just had the following done a week prior:

Oil Change - Motul 5w40
LN Engineering - Spin on oil filter kit
160 degree thermostat
Water pump replaced - apparently was on the way out according to mechanic
Coolant flush

About Pedro and my order, it was mentioned earlier in this thread about Pedro sending out the TechnoTorque 2 prior to getting paid for the product and this was also the case with me. I actually got the TechnoTorque 2 and the TechnoBrace. Pedro sent both to me and said "pay me if you like it. Send it back if your not satisfied". I don't know how anybody can be treated any better!! So if you are on the fence, you have NOTHING to lose but time.

Thanks Pedro for being an outstanding member of this community!!

About the TechnoTorque2, it's exactly like you see in the pictures and is a really simple design. He uses the actual Porsche T and attaches his air splitter to it. The only recommendation I have for Pedro is that he give some thought to selling the parts as a kit so people can attach the air splitter to their own T's if they so desire. It seems like it would be an easy task and would save some people money if they are so inclined.

The AFE intake is pretty much like Adam described. It's basically a straight tube that replaces the factory tube with the wart on it. It is made out of thick plastic and is extremely rigid. I agree with Adam in that it would be nice if the tube was more like the factory to where it could flex when installing it. It also doesn't seem to align up perfectly either but it is close enough to not complain about. If your doing these similar mods I would suggest laying the AFE tube down first prior to re-installing the throttle body. I didn't do that and struggled getting the tube in not realizing the effort I would have to put into it, and then realized afterwards that if I'd just lay the tube down in its area prior to putting the throttle body back on, it would not be as much trouble. I also agree with Adam that Pedro's mod that accomplishes the same thing as the AFE tube is the more economical way to go. I think I paid around $235 for the tube and that is because I am lazy!

Once I got everything installed and back in place, I started her up. The first thing I noticed was that the idle was barely fluctuating between 975 and 1000rpms. Nothing real bad mind you but noticeable. Took it out for a spin and WOW!! The response was very smooth and was more responsive in the low and mid-range areas. The sound even picked up which I have to assume was from the BMC and the AFE tube. I drove her for about 30 miles and was completely happy with the results. Torque definitely improved on the low-end and mid-range. I could feel her pulling much better than before. After driving around and coming to a stop I noticed the idle was hovering right at 1100rpms. A little higher than normal but it was a smooth idle with the slight fluctuations I experienced earlier gone. I parked the car and then went to bed.

2 days later I took it out again to get my ECU to adjust to the mods as Pedro has stated it takes about 100 miles to accomplish this. Day 2 is where my problems started. The car started up fine and even idled correctly. The response in driving was still there from the night I took her out on her first run. Everything seemed normal then BANG! CEL.... I got about 40 miles on her prior so I don't think I have any leaks from my work but will have to see. After driving around a bit I noticed the idle was back at 1100rpms. Not sure what's going on there but I am going to install an 'S' oil cooler this weekend and I plan on cleaning the MAF to see if that is where part of my problem lies. Also at a stop light after the CEL came on, I noticed the temperature rise above 180 to the center mark which seemed really high considering the cool weather I was in. The car seemed fine outside of the CEL, 1100rpm idle and the engine temperature getting a little warmer than normal. I purchased the Durametric software as well as the Softronic ECU tune today so I am hoping that will solve my problems. I will post my results once I get it taken care of.

All in all, I am happy with the results. I just need to figure out what caused the CEL and get it fixed.

Hope that helps.

Greg
McLuvin is offline   Reply With Quote