Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2009, 11:04 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 46
Question What should I have maintenanced?

Hey guys,

I just purchased a 2003 Porsche Boxster with a little over 60,000 miles on it. Unfortunately, I do not know how well this car was taken care of. The carfax report shows:

- Oil and filter changed chassis lubricated (7,000 miles)
- Oil and filter changed chassis lubricated (11,000 miles)

And then the car was sold and there are no Carfax service records. The car may have been serviced... but I have no way of knowing.

I know that at 60,000 miles there are some major maintenance things that need to happen. I learned this by calling a local Porsche dealer/service place.

Can someone tell me what are the major things I would want to have serviced? I realize that it will cost four figures ($XXXX). I just want to make sure I'm not having things done that aren't necessary.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I'm 23, and I have a great respect for automobiles. (Not to mention very excited to be a Porsche owner!)

kerplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:58 AM   #2
Log
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 18
60,000 service

oil change, new spark plugs, polyrib belt, air and pollen filters, trans oil.
Look in the phonebook for an independent Porsche/ european car shop to save money. It will be 1/2 the cost!!!
Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:32 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Spring Hill, Florida
Posts: 205
In addition to the 60,000 service, I would also get the brake fluid changed. This is recommended every 2 years. I would also run a few tank fulls of fuel injector cleaner. I like the Chevron brand which you can purchase at any auto supply store. Enjoy the car!
E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:59 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 27
There's a list of maintenance on renntech here: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?autocom=maint&code=maint_menu_box

That should be a good start.
sandyman65535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:35 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Posts: 131
Garage
i thought tranny flush was at 90k mile. is that wrong?
__________________
01 Boxster - Lapis Blue - Aerokit II Daily Driver.
98 Pontiac sunfire - Winter beater- TRADED IT IN FOR 200 DOLLARS
2010 Honda Civic Coupe - Gunmetal Grey - Lease ended and returned
2011 Mercedes Benz GLK350 - Gunmetal Grey
ramo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:43 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramo80
i thought tranny flush was at 90k mile. is that wrong?
Without knowing the history of the car or how it was cared for, I would suggest doing everything just to be on the safe side. I am in the same boat with my 2001 box "s", it just turned 60k . Rather than risk it I will just get it over with now.
__________________
I'll take my Guns, Religion, and Money; You can keep the "CHANGE" B.O.!!

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:45 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: BC
Posts: 1,261
You bought a car like this that has no maintenance records for the last 50,000 miles? Wow, you've got more guts than I do.

I trust you had a thorough PPI done on it before handing over the cash...
__________________
2001 Boxster, 5 spd, Seal Grey
clickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:30 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Log
oil change, new spark plugs, polyrib belt, air and pollen filters, trans oil.
Look in the phonebook for an independent Porsche/ european car shop to save money. It will be 1/2 the cost!!!
Haha, thanks. I am currently in Fargo, ND. There is one option here, unfortunately. Maybe I should wait until I move to Tampa, FL, near the end of the month. This is great advice, though. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Kaplan
In addition to the 60,000 service, I would also get the brake fluid changed. This is recommended every 2 years. I would also run a few tank fulls of fuel injector cleaner. I like the Chevron brand which you can purchase at any auto supply store. Enjoy the car!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyman65535
There's a list of maintenance on renntech here: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?autocom=maint&code=maint_menu_box

That should be a good start.
That looks like a lot of stuff, haha. It just makes me wonder which of those things are absolutely necessary and which are just things that are just put on the list for diehard fanatics, you know? I'm surprised those lists just don't say: "Buy a brand new car."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mptoledo
Without knowing the history of the car or how it was cared for, I would suggest doing everything just to be on the safe side. I am in the same boat with my 2001 box "s", it just turned 60k . Rather than risk it I will just get it over with now.
That is probably good advice. No need to take any unnecessary risks. SIGHHHHHH, I will probably end up doing "the works" haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman
You bought a car like this that has no maintenance records for the last 50,000 miles? Wow, you've got more guts than I do.

I trust you had a thorough PPI done on it before handing over the cash...
I wouldn't say your thoughts here were particularly helpful to me, but I do appreciate you taking the time to reply.
kerplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:48 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Texarkana, Texas
Posts: 959
I bought my 2000 Box S with 35,000 miles and limited history. It looked like most of the proper service was done at a dealership. STILL, just to be safe, at 40K miles I went through just about everything. I've done this with any used car I purchased. It's not too expensive for me as I do the work myself. Here's what I did on my Boxster:

Replaced fuel filter
Flushed brake system
Changed oil
Changed spark plugs
Changed pollen filter
Changed air filter
Changed transmission oil
Changed serpentine belt
Removed front bumper and cleaned radiators
Replaced battery

None of this service was required according to the vehicle history and mileage. HOWEVER, I sleep better at night knowing exactly where my car is at now. I may not be 100% sure on the history, but I do know that starting at 40K miles all of the regular maintenance that could be done to the car is at least up to date. At 60K miles I'll probably do it all again.

The only thing I didn't do was change the coolant as it's "supposed" to be a lifetime fluid and looked good. Brake rotors and pads were still within the spec limits so they were left alone and I bought new wheels with tires, so those were good.

Kirk
__________________
2000 Boxster S - Gemballa body kit, GT3 front bumper, JRZ coilovers, lower stress bars
2003 911 Carrera 4S - TechArt body kit, TechArt coilovers, HRE wheels
1986 911 Carrera Targa - 3.2L, Euro pistons, 964 cams, steel slant nose widebody
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:06 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 7,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerplunk
I wouldn't say your thoughts here were particularly helpful to me, but I do appreciate you taking the time to reply.
Whether or not you realize it, you joined a very large global family when you signed up for this forum. Expect helpful advice, some really lousy advice, and comments that don't really answer your questions, all in the same thread. It's like a dinner table experience. Dad gives good advice, your sister sneers at you, and your little brother can't wait to show you the food-yet-swallowed they've been chewing for the last 90 seconds.



Someone recommended bleeding your brake lines above, which is great advice. What I'd add to that would be to have the brake system's master cylinder reservoir pumped out electronically (done at a dealer or Porsche shop) if you have a manual transmission. Flushing brake lines doesn't actually replace all the brake fluid in the reservoir and it's used by the clutch as well.

A pre-purchase inspection after the fact will yield a lot of good information about your car and cost you about $250. I'd do that if I were you plus change out all the fluids just in case they're original.

Enjoy your Porsche and don't hold back. Drive it hard and to the redline when you get the chance. The car really does love to stretch its legs and run hard. Just remain cautious... our cars are the most forgiving version of the Porsche lineup with the engine in the middle where it belongs, but new owners usually find themselves in a predicament sooner than later from the simple thrill of ownership. My car got away from me more than once when I was finding the limits in those first exciting months of ownership. Thank God no curbs or brick walls were anywhere near me back then!
__________________
'97 Boxster (Black Hole for 42,000 Dead Presidents and counting) - 122k
New motor, transmission, suspension, and on and on and on it goes...

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 07-10-2009 at 12:11 PM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:08 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Posts: 131
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
My car got away from me more than once when I was finding the limits in those first exciting months of ownership. Thank God no curbs or brick walls were anywhere near me back then!
I found the curb twice. I had to replace 2 rims once and 1 rim the other time. Wheel carrier, bearings and had to get the bumper fixed and repainted.

Both times i was with girls showing off like an idiot. Never again.... NEVER!!!
__________________
01 Boxster - Lapis Blue - Aerokit II Daily Driver.
98 Pontiac sunfire - Winter beater- TRADED IT IN FOR 200 DOLLARS
2010 Honda Civic Coupe - Gunmetal Grey - Lease ended and returned
2011 Mercedes Benz GLK350 - Gunmetal Grey
ramo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:21 PM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Drive it hard and to the redline when you get the chance. The car really does love to stretch its legs and run hard.





I have actually run across a lot of thoughts on running your car hard and IMS falilure rates(by no means a scientific study).
Now I am just repeating what I have read and have no proof of the claims. but is goes something like this:..

People who baby their porsche and never get close to the redline don't get enough oil flowing. Now people like, well , me (and others) who "drive it like you stole it" and love to here the engine rev out through the gears apparently get more oil to ims and subsequently have fewer engine failures. Now this is assuming you have the proper levels of fluids and regular mainenaince done.
__________________
I'll take my Guns, Religion, and Money; You can keep the "CHANGE" B.O.!!

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:48 PM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sanford NC
Posts: 2,344
Not sure if it is driven hard that does it

or is it a function of the driver who does also being more fanatical about maintenance than the driver who drives it like a Volvo.

I'd say getting the oil hot and keeping it clean are two keys to longevity.

I bought my current Boxster (my second) at 42k miles and with an uncertain history and it being 4 years old at the time, I asked for a 60K, coolant flush, trans flush and brake fluid flush. That was 4 years ago and the car has been more reliable than any of my other 3 cars (Honda, Acura, Mazda) in the years since.

Before you go do that and spend the $1k+, see if a bit of detective work can give a hint about if the 60k was done. Have the mechanic pull one sparkplug and look at the poly/serpentine belt. Their condition might tell him if the 60k was done. Or look at the air cleaner. You can do that yourself. If it is really foul, you know it hasn't been done.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:26 PM   #14
Porsche "Purist"
 
Paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,064
Garage
The 60K is not hard to do yourself....
__________________
1998 Boxster with 7.8 DME, 2005 3.6 liter/325 hp, Variocam Plus, 996 Instrument panel
2001 Boxster bought new. Installed used motor at 89k.
1987 924S. 2002 996TT. PST2
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Have driven them all the way the Dr intended...
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:42 PM   #15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
I bought my 2000 Box S with 35,000 miles and limited history. It looked like most of the proper service was done at a dealership. STILL, just to be safe, at 40K miles I went through just about everything. I've done this with any used car I purchased. It's not too expensive for me as I do the work myself. Here's what I did on my Boxster:

Replaced fuel filter
Flushed brake system
Changed oil
Changed spark plugs
Changed pollen filter
Changed air filter
Changed transmission oil
Changed serpentine belt
Removed front bumper and cleaned radiators
Replaced battery

None of this service was required according to the vehicle history and mileage. HOWEVER, I sleep better at night knowing exactly where my car is at now. I may not be 100% sure on the history, but I do know that starting at 40K miles all of the regular maintenance that could be done to the car is at least up to date. At 60K miles I'll probably do it all again.

The only thing I didn't do was change the coolant as it's "supposed" to be a lifetime fluid and looked good. Brake rotors and pads were still within the spec limits so they were left alone and I bought new wheels with tires, so those were good.

Kirk
Thank you for sharing your experience. I plan on keeping my Boxster for a long time, so I'll try and do as much as I can afford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Whether or not you realize it, you joined a very large global family when you signed up for this forum. Expect helpful advice, some really lousy advice, and comments that don't really answer your questions, all in the same thread. It's like a dinner table experience. Dad gives good advice, your sister sneers at you, and your little brother can't wait to show you the food-yet-swallowed they've been chewing for the last 90 seconds.



Someone recommended bleeding your brake lines above, which is great advice. What I'd add to that would be to have the brake system's master cylinder reservoir pumped out electronically (done at a dealer or Porsche shop) if you have a manual transmission. Flushing brake lines doesn't actually replace all the brake fluid in the reservoir and it's used by the clutch as well.

A pre-purchase inspection after the fact will yield a lot of good information about your car and cost you about $250. I'd do that if I were you plus change out all the fluids just in case they're original.

Enjoy your Porsche and don't hold back. Drive it hard and to the redline when you get the chance. The car really does love to stretch its legs and run hard. Just remain cautious... our cars are the most forgiving version of the Porsche lineup with the engine in the middle where it belongs, but new owners usually find themselves in a predicament sooner than later from the simple thrill of ownership. My car got away from me more than once when I was finding the limits in those first exciting months of ownership. Thank God no curbs or brick walls were anywhere near me back then!
Very good post!!! Hahaha... I hope you guys are serious about driving the Porsche hard. I plan to.

I got the automatic tranny, I hope that doesn't make you guys think less of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mptoledo
I have actually run across a lot of thoughts on running your car hard and IMS falilure rates(by no means a scientific study).
Now I am just repeating what I have read and have no proof of the claims. but is goes something like this:..

People who baby their porsche and never get close to the redline don't get enough oil flowing. Now people like, well , me (and others) who "drive it like you stole it" and love to here the engine rev out through the gears apparently get more oil to ims and subsequently have fewer engine failures. Now this is assuming you have the proper levels of fluids and regular mainenaince done.
I definitely didn't steal it, hahaha $$$$, but I will drive it like I did. You guys are getting me so pumped up. I just hope it lives up to my expectations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke
or is it a function of the driver who does also being more fanatical about maintenance than the driver who drives it like a Volvo.

I'd say getting the oil hot and keeping it clean are two keys to longevity.

I bought my current Boxster (my second) at 42k miles and with an uncertain history and it being 4 years old at the time, I asked for a 60K, coolant flush, trans flush and brake fluid flush. That was 4 years ago and the car has been more reliable than any of my other 3 cars (Honda, Acura, Mazda) in the years since.

Before you go do that and spend the $1k+, see if a bit of detective work can give a hint about if the 60k was done. Have the mechanic pull one sparkplug and look at the poly/serpentine belt. Their condition might tell him if the 60k was done. Or look at the air cleaner. You can do that yourself. If it is really foul, you know it hasn't been done.
I wonder how viable this is to do. Could I really ask the mechanic to do this, or will he just laugh at me and either way just tell me the work needs to be done? (The Jiffy Lube syndrome, haha)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
The 60K is not hard to do yourself....
I'm a computer guy, not a car guy!

kerplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page