Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2009, 01:16 PM   #1

Replacing bulb, Serious problem

Last Friday I removed my instrument cluster because I had a bulb that went out. I had to wait the weekend before i could get another bulb. Well today I put the new bulb in, hooked everything up, and now my clock/oil guage lcd display has some weird type of splatter in it. I don't see how this is even possible since the splatter is inside of the casing. Even when I press my finger on it lightly, I couldn't emulate the same type of damage. Bending lightly won't do anything either. I was gentle with the whole cluster and I don't see how the inside could have been damaged. If touching or bending doesn't cause that type of damage, then what the hell does? It's encased and I couldn't expose that part to anything even if I wanted to. Is it repairable without having to buy an entire cluster???

Last edited by Viper5; 07-06-2009 at 05:11 PM.
Viper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:53 PM   #2

I was also wondering, if I need to get a new cluster, does the odometer read what the ECU from the car gives it, or does the cluster have the info inside of it. In other words, will my car read a different odometer reading if I get a new cluster?
Old 07-06-2009, 08:59 PM   #3

The odo is set by the dealer using a PIWIS or PST2 computer. They will not roll it back, but will roll it forward to your current mileage.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:59 AM   #4

I have a 2001 S cluster i'll sell for 100 shipped if you need one.
BoxsterLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:21 PM   #5

Darn, I really think the 2000 S was unique. Heres a pic. Tell me if this is what you have and I'll take it (exact guages, cruise control light position, etc.) Also not sure if this is relevant, but I do have OBC active. Normally, the broken lcd displays oil guage level for first 10 sec of bootup, then goes to clock. Also pay attention to tachometer. I know some read up to 8 (even though redline is same).

I also talked to the dealer and they told me that they need both VIN numbers due to the options and such. PM me if you'd like with that info and I can say for sure if it'll work. I drive stick too, in case you couldn't tell from the pic.

Last edited by Viper5; 07-10-2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:27 PM   #6

Viper that is slightly different than mine, you havea 2000 S? it is the same shape so it'll slide in but not sure if it is compatible. Does it have 3 connections on the bakc, grey, green, and blue?
BoxsterLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:52 PM   #7

Yes it is a 2000 S. And I do have connectors in back. I think they are black, white, blue or something like that. I just need your VIN because there are many different versions of these things due to options.