Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2009, 04:22 PM   #21

Except

for the one time in a tires life you have to react in an emergency mode. For that one time, the characteristics of a tire may save your life...or may not. May save your car, or not.

I've had tires cost me a Boxster and a VW. In the one case I was driving on UHPS tires and the road was cold and I just slid on top of the pavement instead of the rubber digging in to the micro indents in the pavement..not even a Boxster's brakes could save the car. In the other, the dealer that sold me the car switched the tires on me from good tread when I bought the car to almost bald when I picked the car up in the dark. Slid going around a curve when the fronts just didn't bite at all.

Go look at the tirerack comparisons and see the stopping distance and imagine that you have to stop to prevent your car hitting something or someone. Think how much faster that hit will be if you have 2 car lengths difference in stopping distance ... which can happen between 2 tires.

Whatever you do, drive cautiously the first 200-300 miles. And read the tirerack discussion of wear versus stopping distance and don't run the tires to the wear bars if you drive in the wet. I've seen someone killed doing that. Hit a puddle at the beginning of a bridge and started playing pinball off the concrete bridge abutments. I sailed through the same puddle at the same speed just fine.

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:11 AM   #22
Porscheectomy

These guys have really impressive prices, bested tirerack by about $45 shipped.

http://www.onlinetires.com/

Last edited by blue2000s; 02-24-2010 at 09:49 AM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:01 AM   #23

As you can see by my siggy line, I bought the Sumis.
Only about 1k miles, so far, but am very happy with them. They are more sticky and more quiet than the PS2s they replaced, but the PS2s were GONE, so take the comment with a major grain of salt. They're better in the rain, but the PS2s were almost slicks!
I did extensive research on them and found two tests that included PS2s to Bridgestone RE050s in one and RE050s to HTR ZIII. The Bridgy number on the tests was almost identical (7.2 in one 7.35 in other). The PS2 number to the HTR number was about 5% different, with the PS2 higher (7.92 - 8.15 or there abouts).
The HTR's points loss was wet traction. Dry traction numbers were identical to PS2.
Now, considering I could buy a complete set of Sumis and two new pairs of rears for less than the PS2s, I sure don't see it as being a "cheap ass" as someone said above.
I also bought the OZ wheels at the same time, but I think the Sumis were about $725 mounted and balanced, plus freight.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:11 AM   #24

PS2 Price Drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickurt
I came here looking for paying less than PS2's because, as I drive the car, usually with wifey in board I don't NEED PS2s.
I think Silver Bullet made the most sense a good while ago, to paraphrase, "If you'r enot doing track days or driving like you are but mainly use your car to cruise, why would you buy track quality, rediculously expensive PS2s?"
I want a set that will be safe when I need it, but will mainly not cost a dime a mile to use for cruising. Someone above also made the comment on the speeds needed to have fun with really sticky, high tech tires.
We switched to a required, much harder compound, Hoosier slick for Club Ford racing. Want to guess how much more fun they were to go 2 seconds a lap slower?
I have always ran Michelins on all my vehicles. I have PS2 on my car now and recently noticed when searching the websit a price drop. At the end of last year I was seeing around $288 a piece for 265/40/17 and now they are around $213.00.
TechArt Strut Brace Front and Rear
Technobrace (Thanks Pedro)
Michelin PS2
G2 Red Caliper Paint
DamageINC123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:22 AM   #25
pboxstercar

Here is a test of ten tires - may help you decide.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/09q2/tire_test_nine_affordable_summer_tires_take_on_the _michelin_ps2-comparison_tests/michelin_pilot_sport_ps2_page_2
Old 03-01-2010, 07:18 AM   #26
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
These guys have really impressive prices, bested tirerack by about $45 shipped.

http://www.onlinetires.com/
Four days in shipping and the tires are sitting in the garage! I should have the car out of storage this week (50F tomorrow) so that I can get them mounted and try them out.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:16 AM   #27

mixing HTRZIII R & PS2 F..?

[QUOTE=Quickurt] The HTR's points loss was wet traction. Dry traction numbers were identical to PS2.
Now, considering I could buy a complete set of Sumis and two new pairs of rears for less than the PS2s, I sure don't see it as being a "cheap ass" as someone said above.

Did you considered running the PS2 on the front with the Sumis on the rear..?
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:44 PM   #28

What optimal tire pressures are you guys running with the HTRZ-III?

I've experimented with standard 29F/36R, 30F/36R, 31F/32F/33F/34F&36R setups... Not entirely sure which I like best yet, but it's quite variable for me, since I've been experimenting with different front and rear damper stiffness settings as well.

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts

Last edited by chaudanova; 03-01-2010 at 12:50 PM.
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:48 PM   #29
Porscheectomy

[QUOTE=Gilles]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickurt
The HTR's points loss was wet traction. Dry traction numbers were identical to PS2.

Did you considered running the PS2 on the front with the Sumis on the rear..?
It's generally not the best idea to mix the front and rear tire manufacturers.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:50 AM   #30

I put the Falken 912's on mine. Great grip wet or dry...awful in the snow from what I've read. So far, the are handling well. Not made for track, just pleasure driving with a little attitude.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:53 AM   #31

i have about 5k on my htr II and they seem to do well. They do not like damp pavement at all.
dallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:31 PM   #32

I don't know if they are HTR I's, II's, or III's Z's on the 02 I bought in August. Picked it up and drove throught 2 states in the rain with no problem. Weather cleared for Fri. rush hour in Chicago. Next day cruise through Wi., corner of Iowa, and MN good, with one problem that still re occurs. I live in North Dakota and the car has been a daily driver all but maybe 5 days because of blizzards. The traction is better with the HTR's than my pickup has in 2 wheel drive.

The secret is to drive for the conditions and not the cars maximum potential.

Oh, and the re occurring problem is other drivers pulling in front of me to show how fast they are and then the drivers slowing down because they don't have the ability to handle the limited number of curves we have in this state of flat straight roads, when the Boxster wants to start showing it's stuff.
Nds crvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudanova
What optimal tire pressures are you guys running with the HTRZ-III?

I've experimented with standard 29F/36R, 30F/36R, 31F/32F/33F/34F&36R setups... Not entirely sure which I like best yet, but it's quite variable for me, since I've been experimenting with different front and rear damper stiffness settings as well.
The 987 has 30/37 as standard pressures. I found 28/36 gave the best wear on the PS2s, so I've set up the new Sumis the same. So far, I have no discernable wear, so as I put more miles on them I should be able to see.
These are cruising pressures.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:07 PM   #34

Have Continental Sport Contact on mine and lov'n it. But want more grip on wet so I'm going with the Continental DW (rear tires getting bald). Anybody have these one their Porsche?
Old 03-03-2010, 05:56 PM   #35

Cheepest So Far

http://www.discount-tires-2go.com/Page.cfm?InfoID=4853
Michelin PS2
G2 Red Caliper Paint
Old 03-04-2010, 07:27 AM   #36
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageINC123
HTRZIII:

Discount-tires-2go = 356 before shipping
onlinetires.com = 330 before shipping
Old 03-04-2010, 04:53 PM   #37

Michelin PS2

I was looking at the Michelins. Not interested in the HTRZIII.
Michelin PS2
G2 Red Caliper Paint
Old 03-14-2010, 09:49 AM   #38
Porscheectomy

I've had the Sumis on for a couple of weeks now. Going from Continental Extremecontacts, there's a noticeable improvement in dry road grip. Steering response is maybe just a bit more crisp. Steering feel is actually improved. I notice alot more road texture through the steering. Feels like I'm on rails with the M030 suspension and dry roads.

I haven't had a chance to see what breakaway feels like. That will come when the mountain roads are a little less sandy. The Contis were very progressive and gave alot of warning.

Flatspotting really isn't any more noticeable than with the Contis. No objectionable road noise.

Ride is firm but acceptable. The tire shop noted that the stiff sidewall made the tires a challenge to mount.

So far, I'm very happy. What a great car.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:17 AM   #39

I've been able to push my HTRs a little more and they are feeling very progressive and communicative on breakaway. I haven't broken them all the way loose, yet, but the feedback is very good. I am gaining lots of confidence with them.
My bankrupt, houseless housing development has been purchased and they are building houses in it, so I'm searching for a new "test track." My pic, below, was taken at the brick round-a-bout and the covered area in the background is at the opposite corner of the 8 turn, .9 mile circuit.

Last edited by Quickurt; 03-14-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Quickurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:00 PM   #40
Porscheectomy

Five months now, a couple thousand miles, lots of mountain drives. I really like these tires. The grip is quite high and there's plenty of warning on breakaway. I'll definitely buy another set.

They definitely flat spot over time, but that's not a big deal.