Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2010, 04:55 AM   #41
Carnut

When I got the car HTR 3 (17") were mounted. I was really concerned but have to admit that these tires are really good. Grip is good, handle crisp, comfortable and, they don't squeal as much as other tires when pushed. Can't comment on wet, though.

Keep in mind that there are very few "bad" tires out there, only advice, stay away from anything Chinese!

Old 08-29-2010, 03:05 PM   #42

Htr Z Iii

I have a 2000 Boxster.......my car(women driver) is my every day car in Dallas Tx...so my concerns are a tire that holds up to the heat and has traction in the rain. I do not race but have a heavy foot and tend to always drive over the speed limit. Texas some times has hard rains and this last year 104 temps and snow twice (which is unusual). The HTR Z III was recommended but would rather spend more if I am not going to be safe in the rain...but will also be sad if I spend a bunch of money for a tire that wears quickly. Had Toyos from Kaufman Tire who is no longer in business....belts had separated in the back tire and then this last weekend I had a blow out on the highway...so need to get all or at least two. Any comments would be appreciated...
tornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:31 AM   #43
Porscheectomy

I was really impressed with the Sumis at a driver's skills a few months ago and especially my DE yesterday. Really sticky when they heat up. The track has some choppy, beat up sections through a turn and the car didn't feel unsettled at all. The release of grip at the limit was communicated very clearly. They inspired alot of confidence. No strange wear or damage either. I'm really glad I went with these tires.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:10 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado
I have a 2000 Boxster.......my car(women driver) is my every day car in Dallas Tx...so my concerns are a tire that holds up to the heat and has traction in the rain. I do not race but have a heavy foot and tend to always drive over the speed limit. Texas some times has hard rains and this last year 104 temps and snow twice (which is unusual). The HTR Z III was recommended but would rather spend more if I am not going to be safe in the rain...but will also be sad if I spend a bunch of money for a tire that wears quickly. Had Toyos from Kaufman Tire who is no longer in business....belts had separated in the back tire and then this last weekend I had a blow out on the highway...so need to get all or at least two. Any comments would be appreciated...
The guys at the track in College Station (similar heat and climate issues you face in Dallas) are all very impressed with Hankook Ventus V12s. They perform as well as Michelin PS2s at half the price on the boxster.

I'm planning on buying two sets of them, for my 18 inch street rims and my 17 inch track rims.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:17 PM   #45
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado
My Sumi's were very good in dry and ok in the rain. If you get a lot of standing water when it rains there may be a couple better choices: Hankook V12 are about the same price and better in the rain. Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec might be the best rain tire I ever used and they are amazing on hot dry pavement as well. Dunlop Star Specs will not last as long as the Sumi's and are a bit more money.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:05 AM   #46

My car came with mis-matched tires. Don't ask.....

Anyway, since I have 2 hankook tires, I am gonna get 2 more hankooks for the front.

I have a brand new sumi for the front if someone wants it. Throw me an offer. I'm in Wisconsin.
The dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:33 PM   #47

Just a FYI NTB has a buy 2 get 2 free on the sumi htr Z III.

Set of 4 installed around $760 with 3 yr alignment. Hard to beat that.
gred-04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:20 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke
for the one time in a tires life you have to react in an emergency mode. For that one time, the characteristics of a tire may save your life...or may not. May save your car, or not.

I've had tires cost me a Boxster and a VW. In the one case I was driving on UHPS tires and the road was cold and I just slid on top of the pavement instead of the rubber digging in to the micro indents in the pavement..not even a Boxster's brakes could save the car. In the other, the dealer that sold me the car switched the tires on me from good tread when I bought the car to almost bald when I picked the car up in the dark. Slid going around a curve when the fronts just didn't bite at all.

Go look at the tirerack comparisons and see the stopping distance and imagine that you have to stop to prevent your car hitting something or someone. Think how much faster that hit will be if you have 2 car lengths difference in stopping distance ... which can happen between 2 tires.

Whatever you do, drive cautiously the first 200-300 miles. And read the tirerack discussion of wear versus stopping distance and don't run the tires to the wear bars if you drive in the wet. I've seen someone killed doing that. Hit a puddle at the beginning of a bridge and started playing pinball off the concrete bridge abutments. I sailed through the same puddle at the same speed just fine.

+1 I have experience with crummy tires in the rain. I lost it in a curve during a drizzling rain, went down an embankment and rolled over into a corn field. If I had had 2 or 3 more feet I would have stopped, but it went over in agonizing slow motion. Miraculously didn't get hurt, but totaled my 260Z. The tires were to the wear bars and I had been putting off new tires for a couple of months. A long time ago, but a lesson I've never forgotten! I always buy high end tires and replace them early. I have close to 10k on the Dunlop Star Specs on the Boxster now. They have plenty of tread left, but the rears are really noisy, so I'll put on new ones before I take a chance on getting wet.