Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2017, 11:29 AM   #201

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster_S_girl View Post
I've gotten quotes on PPIs from two well known, recommend Porsche indies. One was $365, the other was $370 for the "basic" PPI and $560 for a more comprehensive check that includes a leak down compression check...

I'm I getting ripped off coming and going???
That is about right. My comment was "$300 at the very least". Better to pay hundreds now rather than thousands later.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:08 PM   #202

Advice for anyone buying a 986 Boxster....

You can find these here:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07396JKRM

Old 07-02-2017, 10:56 AM   #203

Was wondering what kinds of opinions you all had on this boxster. I've been looking through this website for hours in trying to make a decision, everything about this car seems reasonable for the price. Thanks!

2002 Porsche Boxster 77K Miles Only - Super Clean!! | eBay
paperboy221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:22 AM   #204

Here we go again

Questions arise whenever I look at a possible purchase. Current prospect, 99 base, 130k miles, comprehensive service records since new; clutch/IMS/water pump/shocks all done at or since 100k; good tires, brakes, top upgraded to glass, grin-inducing test drive. Price is somewhat above KBB, but I can live with that. The issue? CEL

P0140, P1117, P1121, P0410, P1411

of course, with the holiday I can't get it to a mechanic so I'm looking for some feedback from folks on here. First, should this be a deal-breaker? I've been reading (yes, search is my friend) and it seems this can be one of many things, but most folks who've had it done in a shop get it cleared for good for less than $1k. If anyone has been through this and has real world numbers to share, I'd be grateful. If those figures are as I suspect, then I think I'm ok moving forward, but happy for any and all insight on that score as well.

Oh, and PO has just one key and the electronics on it don't work. It locks the car and starts it, obviously, but no button function. IIRC this is like $500 to replace at the dealer?!

Thanks all. One day I'll complete a purchase and can perhaps contribute not just take from this board.

Last edited by bmsamson; 07-04-2017 at 02:00 AM.
bmsamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:52 PM   #205

Thinking of buying a Boxster ? - MUST READ !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmsamson View Post
Questions arise whenever I look at a possible purchase. Current prospect, 99 base, 130k miles, comprehensive service records since new; clutch/IMS/water pump/shocks all done at or since 100k; good tires, brakes, top upgraded to glass, grin-inducing test drive. Price is somewhat above KBB, but I can live with that. The issue? CEL

P0140, P1117, P1121, P0410, P1411

of course, with the holiday I can't get it to a mechanic so I'm looking for some feedback from folks on here. First, should this be a deal-breaker? I've been reading (yes, search is my friend) and it seems this can be one of many things, but most folks who've had it done in a shop get it cleared for good for less than $1k. If anyone has been through this and has real world numbers to share, I'd be grateful. If those figures are as I suspect, then I think I'm ok moving forward, but happy for any and all insight on that score as well.

Oh, and PO has just one key and the electronics on it don't work. It locks the car and starts it, obviously, but no button function. IIRC this is like $500 to replace at the dealer?!

Thanks all. One day I'll complete a purchase and can perhaps contribute not just take from this board.
While the key fob could just need new switches, if reprogramming is required, it's a no from me.. $200 + for that is a warning. The cel codes, oh man, so many things can cause those codes. At best, MAFs and AOS. Worse case, warped heads. Could be as simple as a vacuum leak but, at that mileage, I'd expect better. PASS.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:20 PM   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertKing View Post
While the key fob could just need new switches, if reprogramming is required, it's a no from me.. $200 + for that is a warning. The cel codes, oh man, so many things can cause those codes. At best, MAFs and AOS. Worse case, warped heads. Could be as simple as a vacuum leak but, at that mileage, I'd expect better. PASS.
Thanks Robert. It was indeed a pass. Picked up an 03 base after walking on that one, and driving it happily since.
bmsamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:00 AM   #207

Garage
Boxsters are fun and pretty easy to work on. I’m assuming most on this site are DIY folks (no problem if you’re not) so don’t be scared to get your hands dirty. Like my father always says “Just google it son. YouTube already tells you how to do it”. He’s kind of right...

Dealer oil change: $289.99 “special deal for service b”
DIY: $60 ish. 10 qt full syn Mobile 1 @Walmart and K&N filter or Mann from Amazon.

Drive belt replacement @ dealer: $699
DIY: $20.64 from Amazon and took me 50 minutes and beer the first time and 30 minutes no beer the second time on my fathers Boxster.

Front and rear brakes @dealer $1,199 WTH???
DIY: ebay $42 front and rear... 30-45 minutes

This can all be done with basic tools from Harbor Freight or local tool store. $100 @ Harbor Freight goes a long way!
512TXS is offline   Reply With Quote