View Single Post
Old 08-28-2019, 06:48 AM   #219
BruceH

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGPCAR View Post
HELP!! I have been searching for months for a Boxster to get before my 30th birthday. I found one with only a week left. Here is the dilemma: 2001 Red Boxster S, 80,000 miles, $7000. Just had the IMS, Flywheel, Clutch, RMS, new transmission mounts and new left side axle, and Oil change for $4,454 at a local (and reputable) indy shop. Parts $3045.55 and Labor $1078. Current owner also upgraded the audio with some decent, but basic stuff. My issue: REBUILT TITLE from a total loss accident in 2010.

Known issues: It needs new front tie-rods, alignment, driver-side window motor or regulator needs replacing, replacement washer reservoir, a major cleaning and detailing (cobwebs and leaves in the forward boot), convertible motor sounds like a dinosaur scream. It appears the front bumper cover is also sagging. And the rest is cosmetic.

Would you buy this for $6000-$7000? If not, what would you pay?
Is the afore mentioned repair cost a fair market repair cost?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlebog View Post
I wouldn't say that you need to steer clear of it, but that does seem a bit high for a rebuilt title. None of the remaining repairs you need to do are very difficult/expensive, but it's still a burden to take on with a new car. The IMS is nice, but considering the amount of work that's been done, it would be kind of sad if it hadn't been.
I certainly wouldn't pay 7 for it, and even 6 seems high. I think 5ish would be just fine though, since it is an S.
Strange that the seller would put in so much money in the IMS etc but neglect the rest, including the basics of just cleaning it up. 5 to 6K is probably about right but I would have it looked over by another mechanic to make sure there aren’t any more “known” issues. Still, $6K for a car with the IMS done is not a bad deal as long as the rest is minor. A heckuv a car for that amount of money.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote