View Single Post
Old 06-02-2019, 06:26 PM   #213
Steve Hurt

Garage
I just sold 1974 914 3.2 Carrera 1987 engine conversion.It had almost all the changes made to I including hydraulic clutch. Since I am getting to the age where it is hard to get underneath it, I sold the 914 and purchased a 2002 Boxster S with 134,000 miles and owned by long time Porsche members. They let me review records over the entire history (2-3 owners before me) including showing the IMS being change at 84-85,000 miles. Thread review shows Jake Rabey said change the IMS every 75,000 miles since the one in the car was LN Engeering ceramic one. The infomation resulting in dropping the transmission, pulling the clutch, removing the flywheel, etc. I always plan on doing things such as this when evidence is there to support it. found items that were marginal such as how the old INS had been installed, flywheel showing signs of future problems, clutch and pressure plate including system had extended life left. Mechanic also read through the records to verify major fault items such as water pump, servicing, etc

I put in a direct oil feed system including the bearing since this the type of bearing I am use to coming from commercial and general aviation. I would like to see a bearing similar to the front immediate shaft. Maybe later, but now I have complete confidence of driving it extended distances. Oil will go to higher grade/ weight full synthetic 5W40 and a brand having a higher level of phosphorus, etc 1100-1200 parts per million. Oil changes every 3000 miles or every three months; warmup for 1-2 minutes, drive accordingly until the engine is at running temp and drive it hard and within operating characteristics but never thrashing the car or going over limits; I do not use the car for very short driving distances, just intermediate driving to long distance driving; all Porsche events but not racing/auto-X; remember I sold a 914 because I essentially cannot do the heavy type building/maintenance.

Where did I find all the above and fit it to my situation? It comes from all the threads on this board and its members. I know I have extended life in my car , I can work on it within my limits, have very good idea when to turn it over to a trusted indie, and proper servicing intervals, etc.

New to the Boxster but "OLD" Porsche-a-file. Lot's to learn and great driving experiences ahead!
Steve Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote