Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2004, 04:17 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to spotch
What's broken on your boxster?

Well I don't own a boxster (yet) but I really love those cars and depending on the job situation over the next few years I hope to own one before too too long.... Until then I'm stuck being a porsche-less porsche fanboi

Anyway, I was driving today thinking about boxsters and their competitors and my mind drifted towards the reliability aspect. I don't generally trust consumer reports 100% and would rather get info from actual owners so I figured I would go straight to the source. What kinds of problems have you experienced in your boxsters, small or large? Are there any years that one should generally avoid buying? How impossible is it to do the repairs yourself? I know my friends 944 is a real PITA to work on and relatively simple jobs seem to take quite a while (yes an entirely different car but my only firsthand experience w/ porsches sadly enough ). So anyway, if you bought a boxster with 40,000-50,000k miles and planned to own it for the rest of your life what kind of stuff would YOU predict would break or start planning to repair?

Thanks in advance
-jon

spotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 08:08 PM   #2
Watch Freak

Where are you located, Jon?
2006 BMW 750i 19" Sport Wheels BK/BK-Daily
2005 Lotus Elise Sport & Touring Package-Fun
2001 Lexus RX300-Back-up Winter Beater
2001 Mercedes-Benz S500 Sport AMG-Sold
2000 Boxster S Heavily Modified-Sold
2000 Nissan Altima GLE-Parking Spot Holder
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Stryke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 07:20 AM   #3

Re: What's broken on your boxster?

Atlanta Ga. i drive a 96 integra RS for now (just purchased it after totalling my neon).

*goes to update my profile*
Old 09-12-2004, 04:45 PM   #4

Spotch - your question is a bit overwhelming.

I think a good approach might be to take yourself over to renntech.org - this is the best technical repair message board for Boxsters.

With all the stories it is hard to know how many cars actually have had problems. For example, long time web lurkers all know that Rear Main Seal(RMS) leaks are a common problem. I had one myself. What we don't know is if 20% of Boxster owners have had RMS leaks or 80% (consumer reports might be the best source of numbers). Even worse, we don't know how bad the RMS leaks were. About 5 months into ownership, I mentioned to the dealer that I had a quartersize oil spot on the floor of the garage and had had one about a month earlier. I asked him at what point I should be concerned. The dealer response was 'any leak in a new car is unacceptable' and the replaced the RMS. So I can tell you I had an RMS leak but I can't tell you whether there was any real cause for alarm.

My Laundry list of problems since Feb 2002 is:
RMS - see above

Transmission - 2nd gear synchro failing on my 6-speed

Cam belt tensioner - Shortly after dealer 30,000 mile service incl. tension adjustment - I suspect human error at dealership.

Sway bar clamp missing - shortly after dealer did 4-wheel alignment, again I suspect human error at dealership.

- - - - -
When I compare it to my prior Nissan and Volvo, 4 problems in 30 months-37,000 miles sounds bad. When I remember that both these cars had larger, unrepaired oil leaks and discount the 2 human errors it sounds better.

It is hard to trust even my own repair stories because I am much more emotionally attached than I have been to any other car. I want this car to be good, because I love driving it. This car is also asked to do more than other cars. I never took other cars onto the race track, or took my warn out tires out to a parking lot to 'scrub them bald' on my way to the tire store (though my Nissan Sentra did go offroad and forded a few streams).

For me, driving a Boxster is all about how it makes me feel - for this there is no substitute.
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 06:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Spotch - your question is a bit overwhelming.

I think a good approach might be to take yourself over to renntech.org - this is the best technical repair message board for Boxsters.

Thanks for the reply, I know it's a tough question
Old 09-13-2004, 06:50 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
I just bought a 2000 Boxster with 54,000 miles on it. Here's what I got in the package:

-The Mass Air Flow Sensor needs to be replaced

-The front sway bar clamps didn't exist-had to be replaced

-Convertible top is worn at contact points, and plastic window a disaster

-Rock chips and a poorly re-done paint job to try and "cover up" an accident (bonnet, boot, left door, left front quarter panels all replaced! Holy Crap!) means an expensive body work project to get it back to being impeccable.

-Tires don't rotate, so a heavy right foot can leave you paying for new rubber quickly...and I suspect the last owner had a heavy foot.

-Alignment was so terrible that it took 3 hours to get it back within normal numbers (you should see the graph!).

-Lug nuts were all rusted on all 4 wheels.

-Wind deflector material on the undercarriage was hanging, and I removed it.

-Bulbs were out on the instrument panel, and was a costly replacement by Porsche dealership.

-Cables were hanging under power seats, threatening to be cut by seat movement.

-Headlight casings showing signs of "yellowing."

Okay, I know that this is a laundry list of things that you might argue are not "common" problems, but I figured I'd list most of what I had to deal with upon buying a 2000 Porsche with just over 50,000 miles. Don't forget the impending 60K service, which will cost just over $1,000, and the oil changes every 12K miles or so that cost roughly $150.

Plan to spend some money at first, but also plan on loving life everytime you open the garage.

Good luck!

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 06:51 AM   #7

We'll let's see. I have an early made 1997 boxster... it was probably one of the first to roll off the assembly line.

With this said, I've owned the car for 8 weeks now and I have done the following:

1. Replaced the horn pad under the airbag $200
2. Had the catalytic converter rewelded to it's support rod ($20... it rattled and bugged me).
3. Replaced the instrument cluster due to the MPH LCD's single digit being out. $300 for a brand new cluster found on ebay, $99 to get it installed and programmed. Dealer wanted $1300.00 for the cluster.
4. The center, clear wind stop rattled like a snake while driving because the clips were broken off of the piece itself and the clips that are bolted on to the rollbar. I bought a used, 3 piece set (incl. the black plastic pieces that go behind the seatbacks) on ebay for $154.00. Dealer has quoted $35 for the rollbar pieces.
5. My tranny is making a rattling, slight banging noise in 1st gear and I'll probably have to have it replaced. Something's loose inside there. Dealer quoted $3800.00 for a rebuilt tranny incl. labor, but I'm sure I can get a used one and have them install it or have an independent shop work on it for less, say $2000.
6. Foolishly, I bought the car off Ebay sight unseen and fortunately, it was in good shape. The dealer in Miami who bought it at auction and flipped it never found out it had the engine replaced with a brand new (not rebuilt) 2.5L engine days before it went to auction. Good for me, stupid for him not to put it on a lift and look under the car before he sold it! So, if the previous owner had not done it, I might have been forced to replace the engine as well. Tranny problems might be due to the new engine though... lots more torque in the new engine compared to the old one with 75k on it.

You asked a tough question and you got a long reply from me, but I snagged this car for 15,500 and I fully expected to spend another 3-4K on it to get it working and safe to drive fast.

Porsches are by no means the cheapest car to own, as you probably know. If you can afford to put a couple thousand a year into maintenance beyond the insurance and fuel costs, you'll be fine. Some years you'll spend less and some years you'll spend more... especially if you get an older one like I did.

I must agree with Ad Sach though.. there is simply no better driving experience than being behind the wheel of the finest sports car on the planet. I see guys in new S2000's and 350Z's that stare at me at lights... their cars may be a little faster off the line and be shiney and new, but doggonit, they still wish they'd have saved more money and bought a German sports car, not a rice burner!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 12:32 PM   #8

I've had my Boxster since June 1st. I had the climate control panel replaced due to some of the LCDs being dead, and the transmission that works the top assembly croaked last weekend. Both were coveredunder the remainder of the factory warranty.
F1CAR4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 04:33 PM   #9

Great Question:

As a follow up, what are most of you spending per year on maintenance?

I'm especially interested in hearing from those of you who are not as mechanically inclined (as it appears many of you are).

Thanks in advance. This board continues to be a great resource for prospective buyers. As background, I'm hoping to find a low mileage 2001+ in early 2005 for daily driving in the Mid-Atlantic region.
Onad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 05:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally posted by Onad
Great Question:

As a follow up, what are most of you spending per year on maintenance?

I'm especially interested in hearing from those of you who are not as mechanically inclined (as it appears many of you are).

Thanks in advance. This board continues to be a great resource for prospective buyers. As background, I'm hoping to find a low mileage 2001+ in early 2005 for daily driving in the Mid-Atlantic region.

find me one too
Old 09-14-2004, 05:47 PM   #11

I have 2002, so Maintenance is just Oil and the 15,000 mile dealer visits. Warrantee good for another 1.5 years

Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote