View Single Post
Old 09-13-2004, 06:51 AM   #7
RandallNeighbour

We'll let's see. I have an early made 1997 boxster... it was probably one of the first to roll off the assembly line.

With this said, I've owned the car for 8 weeks now and I have done the following:

1. Replaced the horn pad under the airbag $200
2. Had the catalytic converter rewelded to it's support rod ($20... it rattled and bugged me).
3. Replaced the instrument cluster due to the MPH LCD's single digit being out. $300 for a brand new cluster found on ebay, $99 to get it installed and programmed. Dealer wanted $1300.00 for the cluster.
4. The center, clear wind stop rattled like a snake while driving because the clips were broken off of the piece itself and the clips that are bolted on to the rollbar. I bought a used, 3 piece set (incl. the black plastic pieces that go behind the seatbacks) on ebay for $154.00. Dealer has quoted $35 for the rollbar pieces.
5. My tranny is making a rattling, slight banging noise in 1st gear and I'll probably have to have it replaced. Something's loose inside there. Dealer quoted $3800.00 for a rebuilt tranny incl. labor, but I'm sure I can get a used one and have them install it or have an independent shop work on it for less, say $2000.
6. Foolishly, I bought the car off Ebay sight unseen and fortunately, it was in good shape. The dealer in Miami who bought it at auction and flipped it never found out it had the engine replaced with a brand new (not rebuilt) 2.5L engine days before it went to auction. Good for me, stupid for him not to put it on a lift and look under the car before he sold it! So, if the previous owner had not done it, I might have been forced to replace the engine as well. Tranny problems might be due to the new engine though... lots more torque in the new engine compared to the old one with 75k on it.

You asked a tough question and you got a long reply from me, but I snagged this car for 15,500 and I fully expected to spend another 3-4K on it to get it working and safe to drive fast.

Porsches are by no means the cheapest car to own, as you probably know. If you can afford to put a couple thousand a year into maintenance beyond the insurance and fuel costs, you'll be fine. Some years you'll spend less and some years you'll spend more... especially if you get an older one like I did.

I must agree with Ad Sach though.. there is simply no better driving experience than being behind the wheel of the finest sports car on the planet. I see guys in new S2000's and 350Z's that stare at me at lights... their cars may be a little faster off the line and be shiney and new, but doggonit, they still wish they'd have saved more money and bought a German sports car, not a rice burner!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote