View Single Post
Old 09-12-2004, 04:45 PM   #4
Ad Sach

Spotch - your question is a bit overwhelming.

I think a good approach might be to take yourself over to renntech.org - this is the best technical repair message board for Boxsters.

With all the stories it is hard to know how many cars actually have had problems. For example, long time web lurkers all know that Rear Main Seal(RMS) leaks are a common problem. I had one myself. What we don't know is if 20% of Boxster owners have had RMS leaks or 80% (consumer reports might be the best source of numbers). Even worse, we don't know how bad the RMS leaks were. About 5 months into ownership, I mentioned to the dealer that I had a quartersize oil spot on the floor of the garage and had had one about a month earlier. I asked him at what point I should be concerned. The dealer response was 'any leak in a new car is unacceptable' and the replaced the RMS. So I can tell you I had an RMS leak but I can't tell you whether there was any real cause for alarm.

My Laundry list of problems since Feb 2002 is:
RMS - see above

Transmission - 2nd gear synchro failing on my 6-speed

Cam belt tensioner - Shortly after dealer 30,000 mile service incl. tension adjustment - I suspect human error at dealership.

Sway bar clamp missing - shortly after dealer did 4-wheel alignment, again I suspect human error at dealership.

- - - - -
When I compare it to my prior Nissan and Volvo, 4 problems in 30 months-37,000 miles sounds bad. When I remember that both these cars had larger, unrepaired oil leaks and discount the 2 human errors it sounds better.

It is hard to trust even my own repair stories because I am much more emotionally attached than I have been to any other car. I want this car to be good, because I love driving it. This car is also asked to do more than other cars. I never took other cars onto the race track, or took my warn out tires out to a parking lot to 'scrub them bald' on my way to the tire store (though my Nissan Sentra did go offroad and forded a few streams).

For me, driving a Boxster is all about how it makes me feel - for this there is no substitute.
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote