Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2018, 05:44 AM   #1

Urgent WTB: 986/996/987/997 shift alignment bridge tool

Hi all,

I am in a bit of desperate need to find a shift alignment bridge, they look like these:

They're typically light green or light blue, part number is 00072196190.

Reasonably priced & fast shipping to Sweden please

square-root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:46 AM   #2

Shipping from USA is absolutely cost prohibitive (guessing something $75+) but FWIW, the part # stamped on mine is :

Maybe try searching eBay or parts suppliers in Sweden w/ that info.

Good luck
Old 07-18-2018, 07:00 AM   #3

In my opinion you don't need it, just make sure that your front to back action is about in the middle, and that your left/right action doesn't cause the shifter to bind up against the inside of the console.

The transmission doesn't know where the shifter is or where/what the "center" position of the shifter is, as long as you can move the cables where they need to go to make the shifts. As long as you can get fullr ange of motion fore/aft and left/right without binding the shifter up or running out of room, you are all good.

Are you running into an issue that you are trying to resolve? Or just proactively getting all your tools together in advance of making a shifter change?

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:04 AM   #4
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
In my opinion you don't need it, just make sure that your front to back action is about in the middle, and that your left/right action doesn't cause the shifter to bind up against the inside of the console.

The transmission doesn't know where the shifter is or where/what the "center" position of the shifter is, as long as you can move the cables where they need to go to make the shifts. As long as you can get fullr ange of motion fore/aft and left/right without binding the shifter up or running out of room, you are all good.

Are you running into an issue that you are trying to resolve? Or just proactively getting all your tools together in advance of making a shifter change?

Steve
ive replaced 2 shifters myself and found no need for this tool. Unless you are running into issues, just consider what Steve points out here and you should be fine.
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:07 AM   #5

Quote:

Steve
I’m trying to gather all things together so I don’t have to back out or have the car off the streets for too long.

Cheers
Old 07-18-2018, 09:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by square-root View Post
I’m trying to gather all things together so I don’t have to back out or have the car off the streets for too long.

Cheers
In that case you are all good!

What shifter are you going with?
Old 07-18-2018, 09:31 AM   #7

Quote:
In that case you are all good!

What shifter are you going with?
I currently have the 986 bracket with the B&M shortshifter—but I am not super happy about it as I find it too notchy—and I’m going to try the standard 997 shifter assembly and see if that is more my style.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:44 AM   #8

Quote:
I currently have the 986 bracket with the B&M shortshifter—but I am not super happy about it as I find it too notchy—and I’m going to try the standard 997 shifter assembly and see if that is more my style.
I ran the 9x7 shifter for a while, I liked it and it was a nice improvement and was not notchy at all. I'm on the Ben's shifter now, which is very similar to the B&M except that it has ball bearings. If you think the B&M is too notchy, you might not like the Ben's shifter. It is smoother since it has the ball bearings, I like it.

If you do get the 9x7 shifter you could probably sell your 986 shifter with the B&M and make back some of your money.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:16 PM   #9

Quote:
I ran the 9x7 shifter for a while, I liked it and it was a nice improvement and was not notchy at all. I'm on the Ben's shifter now, which is very similar to the B&M except that it has ball bearings. If you think the B&M is too notchy, you might not like the Ben's shifter. It is smoother since it has the ball bearings, I like it.

If you do get the 9x7 shifter you could probably sell your 986 shifter with the B&M and make back some of your money.
That’s fantastic feedback, thank you!

Do you recommend any specific grease for the contact points? Silicone grease would be my choice but I’m more than open for alternatives
Old 07-18-2018, 02:39 PM   #10
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
That’s fantastic feedback, thank you!

Do you recommend any specific grease for the contact points? Silicone grease would be my choice but I’m more than open for alternatives
My 2 Cents worth . . . You don't need the centering tool and use lithium grease. The pull back into second gear is the longest on the 6 speed so judge that and you should be good. Did mine 3 years ago and shifts smooth as silk.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:44 PM   #11

If you buy the 997 shifter new, it will have the tool installed. Just make sure you mark your cables where they are currently when you remove them, and as long as you have no issues now, just put them in the same place in the new shifter and you should be fine.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
If you buy the 997 shifter new, it will have the tool installed. Just make sure you mark your cables where they are currently when you remove them, and as long as you have no issues now, just put them in the same place in the new shifter and you should be fine.
I bought mine used, and I am not 100% convinced the cables are correct currently—hence the need for the alignment tool.

I'm considering borrowing one and making it into a 3d model and having it 3d printed.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:44 PM   #13
1999 base

Garage
I will send you main if you promises to return it.
I shipped an airbag cover to Lithuania for $20.
With that said, it took some time to get there. You are probebly better off with this option:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-OEM-Tool-9619-1-Shift-Cable-Adjustment-Type-997-987-Locking-Bridge/322615607420?epid=1628653531&hash=item4b1d63807c:g:X0UAAOSwPRxbMkzJ
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:47 PM   #14
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Interesting, I tried Ben’s short shifter and didn’t care for it (nothing wrong with the quality). I then installed the 987 and found it quite pleasing for street and track. YMMV
The tool isn’t really necessary in my opinion.
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:26 PM   #15

Quote:
I bought mine used, and I am not 100% convinced the cables are correct currently—hence the need for the alignment tool.

I'm considering borrowing one and making it into a 3d model and having it 3d printed.
Can’t hurt to try. If they are off, you won’t be able to shift it well. If you were driving the car with shifter you are taking out, then it shouldn’t be any problem.

Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote