Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2008, 10:11 PM   #21

Stress Bar Update

The lower stress bars should be going out the first week of March (next week). They're in transit to me now, I've got shipping tubes, mounting hardware, and instructions also all ready to go. Unless something got screwed up with the order (specs or plating), then everyone who ordered them should have them in their hands shortly. I just sent out an update about a week ago to all those who had confirmed orders for bars.

Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:52 AM   #22
Track rat

Garage
Good news!
Old 03-04-2008, 05:54 PM   #23

Stress Bars Shipped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
The lower stress bars should be going out the first week of March (next week). They're in transit to me now, I've got shipping tubes, mounting hardware, and instructions also all ready to go. Unless something got screwed up with the order (specs or plating), then everyone who ordered them should have them in their hands shortly. I just sent out an update about a week ago to all those who had confirmed orders for bars.

The bars came in as expected. My assistant and I were up past midnight getting everything ready to ship! The main bars are plated and should hold up fine, but it also can't hurt to paint them for extra protection. Please be careful with the aluminum side bars. They're all aluminum - bars, heim joints, and jam nuts. That's great for weight savings, but be careful when threading the heim joints into the bars. You don't want to screw up the threads. Otherwise, there's six pages of instructions (mostly pretty pictures, it's not a hard install) to help you guys along the way. Please contact me though if you need any help. I'll be on vacation next week, but I will still stay plugged into this site and my e-mail if there are any questions or problems.

I've sent e-mails with tracking numbers to everyone in the group buy. Harvey - your e-mail bounced though. Hit me up with a PM and I'll give you your tracking number.

Kirk Bristol
Old 04-06-2008, 07:24 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
Gary, you and I have talked before over on 6speed about your need for bracing with that intercooler. Unfortunately though, looking at your pictures I don't think the main bar would fit with the intercooler there. I'm not 100% on that, but it's my best guess from the photos. I think the only option would be to use a spacer to drop the bar down lower, but then you might have ground clearance issues.

If you're ever up in Northern California (which I don't expect), I'd be happy to take a look and probably work something out for you...

Otherwise the side bars look like they should fit fine.

Kirk

Well...here we are a few months later...
the main bar fit...and it makes a LARGE improvment.

I could not fit the bar on top of the mounts as per the directions, mainly becasue of some intercooler that someone stuck on my car

But the bar fit below the intercooler with no problems.

The car feels more planted now than before. Thats the only way I can think of describing it. This was a worth while mod for me.

Thanks Kirk you did good.

Gary

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:00 PM   #25

Is there any chance I can still get one of these, or did I miss the boat? I asked about them a while back, but never actually paypaled money to anyone. I'm VERY interested.

-Eric
HammerESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:01 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerESQ
Is there any chance I can still get one of these, or did I miss the boat? I asked about them a while back, but never actually paypaled money to anyone. I'm VERY interested.

-Eric

I've had half a dozen other people asking me the same question. I had ordered six extra sets, but they all sold out before I even received them! Sorry, I thought those extra sets would cover any stragglers.

Since there are still some people interested I'll put in another order, but it will take about 5 weeks until the bars are made and I won't be able to match the group buy pricing I had before because of the lower volume... sorry again. I'll keep you updated.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:08 AM   #27

More Bars Ordered

Okay, since some people missed out on the group buy I’m willing to put together a few more sets for them. These will be sold on a first come – first served basis. You can wait until I get them in, or to assure one is reserved for you PayPal (kbristol@lycos.com) me now or PM me for my address for sending payment. I’m putting together 6 complete sets and 6 main bars. I’ve put in orders for the parts I need and expect to have everything by May 30th. I can’t hold the group buy pricing though because of the lower volume, higher costs, and a hardware change noted below. Plus the original $10 fixed shipping charge was too low. What I can do now is $75 plus $12 shipping on the main bar and $175 plus $12 shipping on the complete set. Add $5 more for shipping to Canada.

I asked for some feedback from the folks that got the group buy bars and overall it was very positive. One clear area for improvement though is with the mounting hardware (nuts and bolts). I went with zinc plated grade 5 bolts. Compared to the high quality bars, these came across as functional but kind of cheap. I will upgrade the mounting hardware this time around, probably to stainless steel. Here is some of the feedback I received by folks in the group buy:

“I am very happy with the quality of the materials and workmanship.”

“Very pleased with parts quality, first class. Installed them the first day I got them, great instructions for the install. I think I could feel the difference right away on hard cornering and going over sharp bumps, rear end seems tighter. I would recommend the kit to all boxster owners”

“Although I haven't tried to install them yet, the stress bars appear to be very well made and the fittings are substantial enough to take whatever stress may be put on them. My one minor concern is about whether the nuts and bolts will rust and whether it would have added a lot to the cost of the bars to have the nuts and bolts made of stainless steel. I have read the instructions and they seem very straightforward and complete. Overall, the stress bars are excellent and a great value. Couldn't be happier and can't wait to get them installed.”

“The quality of the parts appears to be good. I appreciated that every piece was protected, and when it arrived the shipping tube was intact. Your instructions appear to be well written.”

“The quality of the bars and rod ends is excellent, I really like the look of the parts.”

“I have not installed the lower stress bar yet, but if your products is anything like your communications during this transaction, I'm sure it is top notch. I have been impressed with every part of this group buy.”
Old 06-20-2008, 02:22 PM   #28

Bars Are Here

BUMP... I'm moving this thread back up to the top since I FINALLY have received the lower stress bars. There was a huge hold up in the plating process, so it took some time. I have a few main bars and a few sets with the side bars. These are for all of those folks that missed the group buy and still wanted bars. Pricing and all of the details are in my last post, but basically it's $87 for a main bar and $187 for all three - shipped. I'm using stainless steel hardware now and it looks great.

For those who pre-ordered bars thanks again for your patience. I shipped the bars out today and have already sent out individual e-mails with your tracking numbers.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:02 AM   #29

Still Some Bars Left

Bump to the top again.

As of July 9th I still have a few sets of main bars and complete sets (main bar plus two side bars) left. Speak now or forever hold your peace... once these are gone, they're gone. I don't think there's really enough interest to warrant doing the group buy again, which is okay by me. :dance:

PM me or e-mail me if interested - $87 for the main bar or $187 for the complete kit, shipping to the U.S., stainless steel hardware, and instructions included. I take PayPal at kbristol@lycos.com or e-mail me at that address for my snail mail address.

Kirk
Old 07-09-2008, 12:18 PM   #30

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Kirk do you have pics of the main bar installed?
Old 07-09-2008, 09:00 PM   #31

Kirk how about some pics por favor.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:10 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Kirk do you have pics of the main bar installed?
I'll have to dig to see what pictures I've got on the main bar. It's kind of hard to see once it's on the car, so it's definitely not something to show off. The side bars you can show off a bit though. This picture shows the latest iteration of side bars and the main bar is there too, it's just kind of hidden behind the rear anti-sway bar.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:26 PM   #33

I've got some decent pics of the main bar installed and it looks like I haven't posted those before. When I had the rear bumper and exhaust off to install the Gemballa pieces I was able to get in there and get some good pictures. I don't have them on my camera or PC at home though. I'll check my work PC tomorrow and post a few once I find them.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:38 AM   #34

Okay, here's the main lower stress bar actually mounted in my car. The main bar is the one on the top, above the rear anti-sway bar. Now keep in mind that this is the prototype installed on my test car, so it's untreated bare metal. I've since painted it bright red, as you can see in one of the earlier pictures in this thread where my assistant is test fitting it to a 987 Boxster. The bars I had made up are yellow zinc chromate plated for corrosion resistance. You can paint them too of course if you want to make it look cool.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:44 AM   #35

Here's where the main lower stress bar mounts to the car. Again this is the prototype on my test car, so the main bar is unplated and the mounting hardware is clear zinc chromate plated. For the bars I have now I've replaced the mounting hardware with stainless steel. Also, the washer that's on top of the heim joint as shown in this picture actually should not go there, as detailed in the instructions I send with the bars.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:20 AM   #36

kirk sign me up for the main bar please
Old 07-21-2008, 11:11 AM   #37

Cayman S Tiptronic Fitment

One note here - I had a fella with a tiptronic Cayman S where fitment of the main lower stress bar was a real issue. There just wasn't enough room there for it. He managed to work something out, but I thought I should make you guys aware of this if someone was looking to do this mod on an automatic Cayman S, whether you're using my bars or someone else's. I don't have a tiptronic Cayman at my disposal right now, but I will look into this the next time I'm at my Porsche dealer. Also, if you want me to look at your specific vehicle, feel free to send me a photo of the area where the bar installs. It's pretty intuitively evident whether or not the bar will fit because it's not just tight, but impossible with the Cayman S tiptronic. The side bars do fit though.
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Old 08-23-2008, 06:35 PM   #38

Polished Bars

Did something cool and thought I'd pass it along.... The side bars that come in the complete lower stress bar kit are made out of aluminum. It turns out that they polish up pretty good and very easily. I like shinny stuff, so here are some pictures of my now polished bars. I've still got three complete sets for $187 shipped.

Kirk
Old 10-28-2008, 08:39 AM   #39

Still Available

I've still got three complete sets of lower stress bars (main bar, two side bars, stainless mounting hardware, and instructions) for $187, including shipping. I've been meaning to get them up on eBay but just have been too busy lately. If anyone still hasn't got a set, drop me a line and I'll hook you up.

Kirk
Old 12-30-2008, 05:55 PM   #40

Hope they are still availiable

I need a post Christmas present for myself.

Thanks,

CW

Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
-M. Delaney (Steve McQueen, "Le Mans")
Cold Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote