Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2020, 11:55 PM   #561

After a bit of research it seems as if the 986's are quite heavy on the batteries. I may just have a crappy battery. Any recommendations for a good battery that will last and won't break the bank?

Or is there no such thing?

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:16 AM   #562

Garage
A trickle charger is the key for non-daily cars, IMO. Not easy when it's outside though. Is a solar battery minder a workable solution?
Silver' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:01 AM   #563

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver' View Post
A trickle charger is the key for non-daily cars, IMO. Not easy when it's outside though. Is a solar battery minder a workable solution?

Luckily the driveway is in front of the kitchen windows, which are wood. One of the frames has a natural wood knot missing in the corner, which is perfect to get a wire through. It's how it's wired up now but it's a paint to keep connecting it up to the battery.

I'll most likely invest in a cigarette charging one, but again when I'm using it the end is left on the ground outside, which isn't ideal. An outdoor box would be an option, but then it would be easier to just connect the whole thing to an outdoor power socket, which I can't do as it's a rented house and I'm moving in a year.

May have to be a solar one.

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
Old 01-08-2020, 10:18 AM   #564

Just checked with a multimeter.

Engine off: 14.16v
Engine on: 16.25v

Normal?

Old 01-08-2020, 12:32 PM   #565

Garage
You must have a bad multimetere. Those voltages are too high!
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:46 PM   #566

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker View Post
You must have a bad multimetere. Those voltages are too high!
Interesting! I'll check with another. You set it to 20v right?

Old 01-08-2020, 01:02 PM   #567

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraintthomas View Post
Interesting! I'll check with another. You set it to 20v right?
DMM set of 20V(dc) is correct.

The +2V difference from car OFF to ON is sufficient to confirm your alternator is still in good shape and charging.

I'm guessing your DMM just needs to be re-calibrated. If you pop open the enclosure you should find 1 (or more) resistor/potentiometer. One of those should be for voltage offsetting (you'll need a known voltage source to calibrate it). Plenty of tut online/YT.

Tags
3.2 , black , boxster s , oem+ , porsche