Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2006, 02:39 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Dammit!!!!!!!!!!

Dammit! Stupid CEL came on again today,same codes that I thought I fixed;P1124 & P1126. I did alot of research and all indication pointed the the air/oil seperator,so I swappad my original one that was old and outdated with a new one. No problems,ran fine for 400 miles. Then today while I was out driving,it came back on. Car drove fine,no funny stuff. I will check this weekend to make sure it's all connected right and tight. Anyone know what else triggers P1124 & P1126? Is it me or does the CEL only come on when the car is idling?

Old 12-13-2006, 03:08 PM   #2

I just checked the oil seperator & "J" tube and it looks like this one has already accumilated a little oil buildup in the "J" tube. This time though it only has a small oil cuild up at the end connecting to the oil seperator....Hmmm. I will check underneath the car tommorow to see if the bellow connecting to the engine came loose.

Last edited by blinkwatt; 12-13-2006 at 11:46 PM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 03:08 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
crap, damn.. doesnt it make you wish you took it to the dealer to have them check it all out, right now i sometimes pull a P0410 and P1410 and i think, ok ill fix it, but then i think im going to replace the wrong part and waste time and money.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 03:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
but then i think im going to replace the wrong part and waste time and money.
I did a search on ppbb.com and alot of people reported that their oil seperator caused P1124 & P1126. Alot of the ones that reported the problem also said there was some oil residue in the "J" tube,mine had that as well. I looked at mine and it was an original designed part from Porsche ending in .01,the new one I put in ended in .04. Porsche revised that part three times so I figure it was time for a change anyways. Hopefully the screw tightened clamp I used on the bellow to connect to the engine just loosened a little and I need to tighten it again.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:48 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
so u just replaced the J tube or the whole seperator?
i dont have a CEL yet, but i suspect it will come soon couse i got some buildup around that area, and the engine bay need mad cleaning(spring time sometime)
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 11:11 PM   #6

My old oil seperator had 55k on it and I suspect it had had some small leak for a long time,everything around it where the "J" tube connects to the actual oil seperator had a light oil mist to it. I replaced both the oil seperator and "J" tube. When I replaced them I used a screw type clamp to connect the bellow on the seperator to the engine,it might have loosened causing the air leak. I will check it out more tommorow as I have the day off.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
When I replaced them I used a screw type clamp to connect the bellow on the seperator to the engine,it might have loosened causing the air leak. I will check it out more tommorow as I have the day off.
Well it is 1:35AM and I was full of energy after I got off work at mignight so I set up a bunch of lights under the car,checked the bellow connection and low and behold,the screw clamp was loose and the bellow wasn't properly seated all the way. There was some oil residue around where it connects so I cleaned it up,now I can tell if it leaks again because if it leaks it won't be clean anymore. Now time to take it for a spin and see if I can agrivate it. I'm confident though I found the cause!
Old 12-14-2006, 07:01 AM   #8

Blink, good for you! I tell you, if it doesn't kill you or drive you bonkers, it will make you stronger. I really want to become more proficient with a wrench and start doing my own troubleshooting the way you do.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 08:39 AM   #9
boggtown

I took my engine cover off this morning to check the air filter, dirty as hell. I used my air compressor to blow as much out as I could, its just like a stream of dust shooting out. I left the insulation off so I could drive around, and yes, its pretty nice. Mine will make a whining sound (thats the only way I can describe it) when its at around 3 grand or up just cruising, sounds normal to me, but does yours also do that. I might take the insulation off of the carpet and put that back on, I will have to see if its glued or what though. And my engine was completely gray with dust, not a spec of black, Im gonna clean it when I put the new airfilter in.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:45 AM   #10

Bog, why do you want to remove the insulation? Get more sound into the cockpit?

Problem is that you'll get a lot more heat too. Not the best move if it's just to hear the engine. Buy a sport exhaust.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote