Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2006, 09:56 PM   #1

Schnell Short Shift kit problems! You get what you pay for!

The short shift kit is making a very strange
noise during shifting, sounds like the shifter lower
metal part is striking the circumference of the
housing especially on gears 1, 3 and 5 the noise is
very annoying and to be honest terrible.

To be honest I should of purchase b&m instead of saving me a few bucks, dont know how to correct the issue (if it can be fixed) and now I lost money in the process....

DO NOT BUY SCHNELL PERIOD!!!

chgolatin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 05:30 AM   #2

I noticed when I installed mine there is a small plastic piece under the cables that really doesnt do anything, its green. This piece of plastic just snaps into place and is right below the adjusters. The cables would snag this plastic and make a popping sound. I just removed that piece and all is good. I ran through the gears before I put the center counsel back in. Did you do the install? Im sure thats all the noise you are hearing. Im surprised noone else had this problem. I dont have a Schnell shifter either.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:49 AM   #3

Schnell!

No, the problem is not the green plastic but the metal part from the shifter that is hitting the housing of the shifter. Strange but true, I will be doing a double check sometime today however that is what the problem is. Nothing else is in the way, its a clean install....
Old 11-24-2006, 06:31 AM   #4
boggtown

I bought the cheapest shifter alive on ebay, its a shorter throw than the schnell and it cost me $60. No problems. But you should try to see if there are any plastic washers in between the stick and the housing. Or maybe yours came upside down and you need the take the stick out and switch it.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:04 AM   #5

I had been thinking about a short shift kit ever since I got my Boxster. I suprised when I started test driving the cars how long the throw was in the stock cars. Stock shifters felt very smooth, but it was the longest throw I have used before.

I started thinking about a short shift kit, but I was concerned about some of the reports of others that had put the kits in. Then when I was in the shop recently getting a new clutch and flywheel installed, I had the chance to drive another customers car that had the B&M short shift kit and it felt very nice, so I had one installed while they were doing the clutch. I love it, very smooth, gives me a new smile every time I go through the gears.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 07:21 AM   #6

Yeah, mine is the 60.00 dollar one on E-bay too and the thing works great, Im thinking its the installer.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:06 AM   #7

I had the same problem with the Schnell shifter but like ohioboxster I removed the green tab, it does absolutely nothing I don't know why it is there. I called customer support and they were fantastic. If it isn't the green tab you may want to give them a ring. I am sure they will walk you through it.

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 11:22 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
@ Ohio & Boggtown,

How does the eBay shift feel comparede to stock? Is it easy to use? Does it go into gear easily? Does it make it a pain to go into first? Is it constructed well?
Old 11-24-2006, 01:53 PM   #9

@ Blinkwatt, I cant believe there is any difference between the 60 dollar one and the 230 dollar one. It shifts great and looks to be a quality piece of machined aluminum. Get the cheap one and if you really wanted to you could tell everyone it was a B&M, lol.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:01 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioboxster
@ Blinkwatt, I cant believe there is any difference between the 60 dollar one and the 230 dollar one. It shifts great and looks to be a quality piece of machined aluminum. Get the cheap one and if you really wanted to you could tell everyone it was a B&M, lol.
Have you driven the B & M? Does it make it hard to go into certain gears? If I didn't like it would it be easy to go back to stock?
Old 11-24-2006, 02:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Have you driven the B & M? Does it make it hard to go into certain gears? If I didn't like it would it be easy to go back to stock?
Blink I listened to everyone out there and bought a B&M about a year ago. Let me tell you, if you like smooth easy shifts I would skip on any SSK for your boxster. It was really, really hard to get into first and reverse. The rest of the gears engaged a bit easier but still way notchier and with much more effort than stock. Plus, there did seem to be a clunk of some sort like someone else mentioned when shifting into 1st, 3rd and 5th. I went back to stock after only a day or two after redoing the install to insure it was done right. It was. You can go back to stock, but the catch is you can't return the SSK and get your money back because during the install proccess you MUST break the stock bushings and use the ones supplied in the kit. Now I have a stock shifter with B&M bushings. Those were two very expenisve aluminum bushings let me tell you. My advice is to try before you buy on this product. I think the factory shifter is much better despite the longer throws.

Last edited by Adam; 11-24-2006 at 02:39 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 04:23 PM   #12
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I agree. I've driven a couple Boxsters with the B&M and the Ebay clone shifters, and don't like the feel. Yeah, the shift action is shorter, but the smooth, buttery feel is no more, and the gearbox ends up being more notchy...especially in cold weather. Reminded me of the shift action of an 86 Mustang GT one of my high school friend's used to have.

I suggest you drive one with a B&M before switching.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 06:49 PM   #13
boggtown

Mines not hard to get into first or reverse at all. Its awesome. Same with you ohio? Yes, very quality piece of work, my stick was installed wrong as another member who bought it told me, so all I did was undo the bolt, turn it around, and re do the bolt and its perfectly straight up and down.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:59 PM   #14

All I'm saying is there is a big increase of shift effort when I put the B&M shifter in. I had it checked by two people...one being a certified mechanic and they also agreed that it felt like crap and verified the install. I dunno...maybe my car is an anomoly (sp?)

Last edited by Adam; 11-24-2006 at 08:02 PM.
Old 11-25-2006, 04:29 PM   #15

It sounds like the shift cables need to be adjusted. The fore-aft cable basically adjusts the position of the shift lever relative to the housing. If the lever is contacting the housing it sounds like it is moving too far in one direction. This can actually be dangerous because if the lever is not allowed to move far enough the gears may not be fully engaging.

I would suggest moving the cable a couple of notches in the appropriate direction and see if the problem persists.

I personally hate the action of the short shift kits out there, they shorten the throw way too much and make it hard to engage the gears. The factory throw is long and ropey but at least I've never missed a shift.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 05:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V
It sounds like the shift cables need to be adjusted. The fore-aft cable basically adjusts the position of the shift lever relative to the housing. If the lever is contacting the housing it sounds like it is moving too far in one direction. This can actually be dangerous because if the lever is not allowed to move far enough the gears may not be fully engaging.

I would suggest moving the cable a couple of notches in the appropriate direction and see if the problem persists.

I personally hate the action of the short shift kits out there, they shorten the throw way too much and make it hard to engage the gears. The factory throw is long and ropey but at least I've never missed a shift.
I appreciate the advice but I've been there done that with cable positioning. We tried everying in the book but bottom line to several people the shift feel was pretty bad and unacceptable.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:39 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
I appreciate the advice but I've been there done that with cable positioning. We tried everying in the book but bottom line to several people the shift feel was pretty bad and unacceptable.
I was making the suggestion for the original poster.

Agreed though, the shift feel is terrible. Nothing you can do about it except put the stock shifter back in. that's what I did.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 08:02 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V
I was making the suggestion for the original poster.

Agreed though, the shift feel is terrible. Nothing you can do about it except put the stock shifter back in. that's what I did.
Actually there is an alternative. Put your stock shifter back in but use the EVOM swift shift kit http://www.evoms.com/marketplace/ViewProduct.asp?Now=12%2F5%2F2006+8%3A58%3A30+AM&ProductID=%7B66A0842F%2D117B%2D4EA1%2DAEA7%2D9910D 0A2A6FB%7D&OrgID=%7BCA5E16BC%2DD877%2D4137%2D8237%2D7EB9084DD 3D8%7D&ParentID=%7B39421AB2%2D78D9%2D49C0%2D8628%2D86236E F51945%7D&Curr=%7B39421AB2%2D78D9%2D49C0%2D8628%2D86236EF519 45%7D

The combination of stock shifter, roller bearing bushings and heim joint linkage gives you about 20% shorter throw with a better feel than the stock unit.

It's not cheap but it's worth every penny IMHO (I have it and love it). I removed a Schnell shifter that I hated to install this.

Current Porsches:
2004 Cayenne Turbo
2003 Boxster S
Past Porsches:
1989 911 turbo
1981 911SC
1984 944
1973 914
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 01:53 PM   #19

FYI, Brandywine Porsche (i think) had an add in this month's Excellence for the factory short shifter (usually $450) for the 986 / 996 on sale for like $199.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 06:01 PM   #20

Got It Done!

Apparently I did the installed correctly however I didnt adjust the shifter cables, got it done today and finally I could say that the shifter does work nicely, no more knocking or metal hitting the housing. Silly me! Quess I dont have good mechanical skills, lol!