Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2022, 12:51 PM   #1

Garage
Pedro Bar / Stabilizer bar etc

So, this thing has many names... I´m referring to the bar some have used to connect the two rear underframes.

I´m about to make my own right now, but when I start to think of it, the main side forces will clearly go through the LCA and into the front leg of the underframe, this leg is already connected to the other side via a oem bar. The Pedro bar etc are connecting the two rear legs of the underframe, those keep track of the toe-link/track rod. No major forces should go through this one I believe, and if so the effect would be a bit more toe out, not primarily reducing camber.

I guess many things can be percieved as great when they are new and all the hype, but now a few years after what do you guys think of this one. Is it really a percievable improvement, or just adding more weight?

Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 02:45 PM   #2

Do they work? Yes. What would an optimum unit look like, this with Heim joints are both ends so it can be preloaded, and this one includes chassis tie down loops as well:

Old 06-03-2022, 01:04 AM   #3

Garage
@JFP, that sure looks line a great solution.

So, du you agree that it's likely the toe rather than camber that is more stable with this bar? Would love to hear more about the percived effect, I know that there is a lot written already, but what I'm after is the present view, a bit after the "hype" or how I should put it.
Old 06-03-2022, 05:42 AM   #4

Depending upon the vehicle, compound of tire, and the load on the chassis, both toe and camber can be impacted to differing degrees and at various times.
Old 06-03-2022, 06:09 AM   #5

Would this be of any practical use in a street and mild HPDE use case? Or would this be geared more towards dedicated track vehicles?
Old 06-03-2022, 06:44 AM   #6

It is a definite plus on track cars where it is allowed by the rules, but its presence can also be felt on street cars. You are stopping the rear uprights from moving around as the chassis flexes.
Old 06-03-2022, 08:48 AM   #7
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Had one, made elsewhere, for several years. Perceptible difference at the time.
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 05:34 PM   #8

Yes to all the above.

Instead of dropping $100, I bought a 3/4" square x24" long bar of extruded aluminum, knocked out the OEM bolts, and drilled the bar to fit. I positioned mine above the diagonal braces so that it's completely out of sight.

If you only drive in a straight line you will never feel a difference. If you push it around corners though (even spirited daily drives) the difference is definitely there. It's hard to describe except to say that the rear end "feels more planted" and with less flex. For $30 it was a great mod.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2022, 04:48 AM   #9

Garage
Rod End Supply has everything you need to make this yourself with no fabrication needed. Just pointing out a resource I've used. I have no relationship with them.
Newsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 04:56 AM   #10

Garage
I use the Pedro bar. Yes it makes a difference especially under braking
Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 04:38 AM   #11

I use the Pedro bar on my CSS. Works great and is an easy DIY.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 07:26 AM   #12

A couple of questions for people who have put in a stabilizer- would it be better to install while the wheels have contact (e.g. wheel ramps) or totally off the ground (quick jack lift)?
Did you get your car's rear alignment checked afterwards?
Thanks for any help!
gonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 08:31 AM   #13

If you are using the type with adjustable Heim joints and preloading the bar, it should be done with the car fully resting on the tires. If you are using the fixed type, it doesn't matter.

We have not seen the need to realign the cars after putting in the adjustable type.
Old 06-09-2022, 08:32 AM   #14
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I installed a fixed stabilizer bar with the wheels off the ground, and I would recommend an alignment. If you manage to install the bar and everything stays lined up (aka you are easily able to reinstall the bolts) then you may be able to skip an alignment. When I installed mine I couldn't get one of the bolts back in even though nothing had visible shifted during the install. I had to have the place that did the alignment install that one bolt.
Old 07-07-2022, 05:40 AM   #15

I have a Pedro bar I can’t seem to move. Asking 50$ plus shipping. 40$ for local pick up and I’d probably help install if needed.
Old 07-08-2022, 10:07 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
Instead of dropping $100, I bought a 3/4" square x24" long bar of extruded aluminum, knocked out the OEM bolts, and drilled the bar to fit. I positioned mine above the diagonal braces so that it's completely out of sight.
Could you share a photo of this? It's hard to visualize exactly what you did, but I am interested in trying it.
casioqv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 12:23 PM   #17
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sveach756 View Post
I have a Pedro bar I can’t seem to move. Asking 50$ plus shipping. 40$ for local pick up and I’d probably help install if needed.
Is that going to fit the 98 Tiptronic? I believe, last time I checked, Pedro didn't have a bar for the tip.

Confirm? Could be interested. Thanks!
Old 07-12-2022, 07:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by casioqv View Post
Could you share a photo of this? It's hard to visualize exactly what you did, but I am interested in trying it.
Yes, I'll get a pic of it tomorrow

Old 07-16-2022, 11:56 AM   #19

Garage
So, I can report that I put in a 20x30mm bar, this is a bit too wide and it hits the exhaust just a bit. Just FYI :-)
Old 07-17-2022, 04:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by casioqv View Post
Here are the pics. Like I said, it's quite concealed. It runs on top of the sheet metal brace, connecting the two rear most bolt holes on the diagonal braces. It tucks under the exhaust on either side (my exhaust is totally custom though so I can't speak to OEM setups) and then bolts drop down from the top and go through the bar, the sheet metal brace, and diagonal brace) and secured via a nut on the bottom side. The oem bolts here just knock out from the bottom-up.