Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2021, 08:26 AM   #21

Make believe is so fun! If there were a performance gain to be had here, it would be documented. Your butt dyno or your feelings or emotions are not data. F outta here with that, lol

1thenaton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 01:07 PM   #22
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1thenaton1 View Post
Make believe is so fun! If there were a performance gain to be had here, it would be documented. Your butt dyno or your feelings or emotions are not data. F outta here with that, lol
I've posted before and after Dyno plot previously showing some small gains. Most people never bother putting their car on a Dyno let alone at various stages of mods.
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 02:24 PM   #23

Garage
Howdy! Itīs been a long and frustrating road for me, during the winter I installed the following on my 03s:

-987 airbox
-987 MAF
-74mm TB
-IPD-plenum (From a 3.4 Cayman)
-New oem injectors (Why not)
-Ebay headers
-Testpipes
-FVD Sound version

The car started right up, but as expected it didnīt run well due to the larger MAF diameter. It runs well the first 1/3 of the trottle position but if I get on the throttle it dies. I had an appointment with a tuner two month ago to fix the MAF part and do the mapping, but due to an extreme amount of bad luck we never got it done. Very long story btw ;-)

Anyway, now I have found another tuner that will take on the project starting tomorrow, so if everything works out I will have my car back in working order on friday, then I will find out at least what my well calibrated but dyno tells me.
The new tuner has just changed location and I donīt think they have the Dyno installed yet so, I donīt expect to get any real numbers unfortunately.. However at this stage I just want to have the car back in working order not to miss the track days in June. Wish me luck! :dance:

Last edited by Robert986; 05-26-2021 at 02:27 PM.
Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 03:23 PM   #24

I have the 987 box, but its not installed yet,..I will do the IPD and the 74 MM TB,.with free flow secondary cats with the topspeed exhaust this weekend..to see if that helps my 2.7 going to also try to complete the 3rd radiator mod this weekend too..but that's very optimistic Iam sure..LOL
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 03:57 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert986 View Post
Howdy! Itīs been a long and frustrating road for me, during the winter I installed the following on my 03s:

-987 airbox
-987 MAF
-74mm TB
-IPD-plenum (From a 3.4 Cayman)
-New oem injectors (Why not)
-Ebay headers
-Testpipes
-FVD Sound version

The car started right up, but as expected it didnīt run well due to the larger MAF diameter. It runs well the first 1/3 of the trottle position but if I get on the throttle it dies. I had an appointment with a tuner two month ago to fix the MAF part and do the mapping, but due to an extreme amount of bad luck we never got it done. Very long story btw ;-)

Anyway, now I have found another tuner that will take on the project starting tomorrow, so if everything works out I will have my car back in working order on friday, then I will find out at least what my well calibrated but dyno tells me.
The new tuner has just changed location and I donīt think they have the Dyno installed yet so, I donīt expect to get any real numbers unfortunately.. However at this stage I just want to have the car back in working order not to miss the track days in June. Wish me luck! :dance:
Robert, all you need is a 996 tune. You can do this with a piwis. I don't know how much your tuner is charging but buying the piwis com box online is not very expensive and the software can be found with the help of Mr Google.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2021, 09:11 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
Robert, all you need is a 996 tune. You can do this with a piwis. I don't know how much your tuner is charging but buying the piwis com box online is not very expensive and the software can be found with the help of Mr Google.
Ike, how does the PIWIS.com box online works?

I believe that the PIWIS is a Porsche service tool (pricey as well..) and also that you have to pay a no so cheap yearly subscription..

Could this be a Chinese PIWIS..?
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 05:17 PM   #27

There are two parts to a piwis system - the software and the hardware. For the piwis 2 system (which is no longer used by Porsche), the hardware module was produced by a company called samtec. I don't know the how or why, but those units (which appear to be genuine from samtec, not Porsche branded) are now being funneled for sale through 3rd party vendors in china.

Software is a different story. Obviously porsches software is propietary and copyrighted. There are 2 requirements for the piwis software to work properly - "tester imprinting" which is the active "subscription" for which vendors would have to pay porsche in order to keep their machines running, and a com unit that the software will recognize.

Someone along the way (at least twice that I am aware of) used a hard drive backup system to clone a piwis computer. It is pirated software and yes, it is illegal in every sense of the word. And no I AM NOT TELLING ANYONE TO BREAK THE LAW AND I ACTIVELY DISCOURAGE DOING SO.

But, it's not illegal for me to describe it to the good folks of this forum...

One copy is piwis 15.x and runs on windows XP. This is a very difficult copy to work with in any manner so stay away from it. The second copy is piwis 18.1 which ran on windows 7. This version is very workable. If you buy a piwis com unit from overseas you will have the option of purchasing a tablet or laptop with that software already loaded and the "tester. Imprint" addressed. It adds considerable expense though. On the other hand it is possible to find the software (along with instructions for bypassing the imprint requirements) for download on the interwebs. You have to be tech savvy in order to get it to work, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out - either restore the image as a VM using oracle box or VMWare and use the com unit as usb passthrough, or just use an older PC lying around and restore the image as a physical machine (don't sideload win 7 on a machine that is currently running windows 10, just trust me).

Hope that answers. Your questions.

Btw, porsche built in this interesting feature to piwis ii - they planned on discontinuing use of it around 2018, so the programming features of the software won't work if your windows system date is set to anything after that time....or so I have been told...

Last edited by ike84; 05-27-2021 at 05:19 PM.
ike84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 05:48 PM   #28

It gets worse than that. The current version of the PIWIS is PIWIS III, and the last update I have seen for it was version 40.000. As all these units operate only when fully networked back to the fatherland, older versions cannot be updated to current standards, and the networking requirement also allows Porsche to literally kill any unlicensed versions remotely. This system is lease only; it was never offered for sale; first year's lease outlay is $20,000 for a legitimate system.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 05-27-2021 at 05:52 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 06:45 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
It gets worse than that. The current version of the PIWIS is PIWIS III, and the last update I have seen for it was version 40.000. As all these units operate only when fully networked back to the fatherland, older versions cannot be updated to current standards, and the networking requirement also allows Porsche to literally kill any unlicensed versions remotely. This system is lease only; it was never offered for sale; first year's lease outlay is $20,000 for a legitimate system.
You are correct, without a network connection the systems cannot be updated. With that being said, piwis ii received support through 2018 so I think it's safe to say that any updates porsche wanted to push out for 986s or 987s would have been distributed by then. The software (at least for piwis ii v18.1) does not require network connectivity for full functionality though, so long as the tester is imprinted.

Old 05-31-2021, 05:32 AM   #30

Garage
Quote:

Thanks a lot for the suggestion!

Anyway I just got a call from the tuner and the car is finally done!!!! After 1,5 days of tuning, he told me it runs perfect and pulls like a Carrera... Man am I excited.. One more note, he said that the mods Iīve made on intake and exhaust-side seemed to work out well together, very balanced.

Will pick it up tomorrow! will report back! :dance:

Last edited by Robert986; 05-31-2021 at 05:34 AM.
Old 06-01-2021, 11:51 AM   #31

Garage
Quote:
Thanks a lot for the suggestion!

Anyway I just got a call from the tuner and the car is finally done!!!! After 1,5 days of tuning, he told me it runs perfect and pulls like a Carrera... Man am I excited.. One more note, he said that the mods Iīve made on intake and exhaust-side seemed to work out well together, very balanced.

Will pick it up tomorrow! will report back! :dance:

Ok, the car is back from the Tuner!

The bad part: It seems my emergency brake on one side has collapsed somehow, there is an evil scraping sound inside it, so I can not (should not) drive the car.

The good part: When the emergency brake for a short while stopped making those noices I took it out for a proper spin, and man it runs really really well. You know the old tale "Porsche cut the nuts of the Boxster not to compete with the 911" Well, the nuts are back, and this time itīs personal..
Seriously, it does pull stronger than before and the sound is glorious.. Dark low tone when cruising and angry GT3-ish when stepping on it at high revs. And there is no drone.

Tomorrow I will take a look at the emergency brake, or rather whatīs left of it. Then hopefully I can finally get this season started. :dance:
Old 06-01-2021, 06:07 PM   #32

Quote:
Ok, the car is back from the Tuner!

The bad part: It seems my emergency brake on one side has collapsed somehow, there is an evil scraping sound inside it, so I can not (should not) drive the car.

The good part: When the emergency brake for a short while stopped making those noices I took it out for a proper spin, and man it runs really really well. You know the old tale "Porsche cut the nuts of the Boxster not to compete with the 911" Well, the nuts are back, and this time itīs personal..
Seriously, it does pull stronger than before and the sound is glorious.. Dark low tone when cruising and angry GT3-ish when stepping on it at high revs. And there is no drone.

Tomorrow I will take a look at the emergency brake, or rather whatīs left of it. Then hopefully I can finally get this season started. :dance:
Robert, I am curious. Did your tuner share with you exactly what he did and how he did it? How did he measure performance gains (dyno, street runs)? How did he dial in adjustments? What are your knock sensors (if still enabled) telling you about the setup? Do you have any EGT measurements? Any AFR measurements?

Curious minds want to know!

Also, did you wind up going with the colder dial plugs? (I think that was you who mentioned that, right??

Old 06-03-2021, 02:28 AM   #33

Garage
Quote:
Robert, I am curious. Did your tuner share with you exactly what he did and how he did it? How did he measure performance gains (dyno, street runs)? How did he dial in adjustments? What are your knock sensors (if still enabled) telling you about the setup? Do you have any EGT measurements? Any AFR measurements?

Curious minds want to know!

Also, did you wind up going with the colder dial plugs? (I think that was you who mentioned that, right??

Ike, must admit that I donīt know all details, but here goes...

Since they have just changed location the Dyno was still not set up yet, so I got no measurements unfortunately. He explained what he did and I guess I understood about half of it.. But in short I belive the steps where -

1) Set up a MAF transfer table to match the new MAF, this was the part most other Tuners didnīt want to get into..
2) He put a broad band lambda in the headers
3) One guy was driving the car while the tuner set the mapping, this took quite some time as I understand it to get it perfect.

I honestly have no info on the other details, after this long time I just wanted to drive the car.. if you want I can PM you the contact info, I guess you are more qualified than me to ask and understand ;-)
Old 06-03-2021, 05:11 PM   #34

Quote:
Ike, must admit that I donīt know all details, but here goes...

Since they have just changed location the Dyno was still not set up yet, so I got no measurements unfortunately. He explained what he did and I guess I understood about half of it.. But in short I belive the steps where -

1) Set up a MAF transfer table to match the new MAF, this was the part most other Tuners didnīt want to get into..
2) He put a broad band lambda in the headers
3) One guy was driving the car while the tuner set the mapping, this took quite some time as I understand it to get it perfect.

I honestly have no info on the other details, after this long time I just wanted to drive the car.. if you want I can PM you the contact info, I guess you are more qualified than me to ask and understand ;-)
Thanks for the info Robert! I'm glad youre back to driving, it's definitely hard to watch sunny days go by without letting the top down.

The MAF table is definitely the first step, followed by smoothing out idle and then building from there. If this guy really built a MAF table from scratch I would love to talk him!

Anyway, I'm happy you're driving again! Have at it brother!

Old 06-10-2021, 01:55 AM   #35

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the info Robert! I'm glad youre back to driving, it's definitely hard to watch sunny days go by without letting the top down.

The MAF table is definitely the first step, followed by smoothing out idle and then building from there. If this guy really built a MAF table from scratch I would love to talk him!

Anyway, I'm happy you're driving again! Have at it brother!

@Ike, I sent you a PM with my tuners contact info, good luck!

I can confirm that the car goes really well, a bit smelly without the cats though, will need to address that.. Also for environmental reasons it doesnīt feel totally ok without.
Old 06-10-2021, 04:33 AM   #36

Quote:
@Ike, I sent you a PM with my tuners contact info, good luck!

I can confirm that the car goes really well, a bit smelly without the cats though, will need to address that.. Also for environmental reasons it doesnīt feel totally ok without.
I had the same problem - without cats it stunk. And without some kind of muffler it was deafening. I can send you links to what I put on mine if you want. They worked well.

One thing that is for sure though - make sure your exhaust tips terminate behind the bumper. Ever notice on old cars (pre cat era) those things stick out the back like 6 inches? This is why! (Learned that the hard way).

Also, VERY IMPORTANT - if you're working on the car, run a fan under the vehicle briefly before getting under there. The rear bumper acts as a bonnet and traps carbon monoxide since it's lighter than ambient air. I actually got CO poisoning because of this. It was not pleasant.

Last edited by ike84; 06-10-2021 at 04:36 AM.
ike84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 12:08 PM   #37

Garage
I believe!

Well boys, now I know..

As stated before I had no chance to get a dyno reading. However last weekend I did my first track event with the newly mapped engine (And my new Hartech race sump, can tell all about that later)

I can confirm that for the first time I was totally even with the 996/997 carreras on the main straight. I also shared car with my father who ran in another class, he noted that the car defenitely had more power than at previous events.

How much extra? Wish I knew, but itīs significant.

Old 06-22-2021, 04:00 PM   #38

Thats very good news..what fuel Octane do you guys run on.. Frank
Old 06-23-2021, 09:38 AM   #39

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmont View Post
Thats very good news..what fuel Octane do you guys run on.. Frank
98 octane (Sweden)
Old 06-23-2021, 10:10 AM   #40

Thats pretty good..My Area the state of Arizona,..and probably nation wide its 93 at best !

Last edited by flmont; 06-23-2021 at 10:23 AM.