Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2018, 11:07 AM   #181
B6T

Here is what a V8 fits like inside the engine bay of a Boxster using the factory 5-speed transmission and transmission mounts. The front of the engine is not in the correct position as it sits too low. I believe this is where the 'cutting' of the sheet metal that was mentioned before comes into play. There is also no space for the air intake duct at the back of the engine.

This is how I hoisted it up into place. I used a ratcheting strap to adjust the pitch of the engine.

Last edited by B6T; 10-20-2018 at 11:15 AM.
B6T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:09 AM   #182
B6T

This is as high up as the engine could be lifted. Major interferences at this point wasn't even between the top of the IM and the engine room sheet metal but rather the timing belt covers and the angled part of the 'firewall'. At this point the oil pan was approximately 2" lower than the H6, and the transmission was noticeably angled downards.

Last edited by B6T; 10-20-2018 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:11 AM   #183
B6T

You can see the throttle body opening in the top of the picture (I have a ziploc bag over the TB):

Also shown is the interference between the RH side variable cam actuator and the engine cover quick-turn latch.

Last edited by B6T; 10-20-2018 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:13 AM   #184
B6T

This shows the interference on the LH valve cover and the engine cover quick-turn latch.

Last edited by B6T; 10-20-2018 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:19 AM   #185
B6T

So does anyone have a chain drive V8 available that they want to drop off at my house for a test fit?
Old 10-20-2018, 07:38 PM   #186
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by B6T View Post
This shows the interference on the LH valve cover and the engine cover quick-turn latch.
That's about how mine looked. I cut the tabs off and beat the front firewall out a bit with a hammer to get better clearance for the timing belt covers. The next fitment problem that I have to figure out is how to run the shifter cable. I still haven't really tried to solve it yet, but mine runs a little short after going around the V8.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:31 PM   #187
B6T

What are you going to do about the throttle body inlet? Have you thought about flipping the IM around so the TB faces the front of the engine and then bashing the firewall some more?
Old 10-25-2018, 09:44 AM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
That's about how mine looked. I cut the tabs off and beat the front firewall out a bit with a hammer to get better clearance for the timing belt covers. The next fitment problem that I have to figure out is how to run the shifter cable. I still haven't really tried to solve it yet, but mine runs a little short after going around the V8.
I built a whole new engine cover. There is no easy way to keep the dip at the back of the engine cover, I cut all that out to give space for the intake. Once it is gone, you can get a better angle on the engine with the stock trans mounts and most of the upfront clearance issues go away.

I used 6 speed Cayman cables and ran them around the sides. No good for a street car, but for a race car it works perfectly. No way I could see running them over the top of the engine would work, so I split them left and right for a 6 speed trans, and ran them both to the RHS for a 5 speed.
specboxCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:10 PM   #189

Quote:
Mind sharing the file?
Here is link to my ECU file. This is a Manual S6 ecu file for a version 7.1.1 ecu. It has been modded for needing no VSS signal.

TinyUpload.com - best file hosting solution, with no limits, totaly free
Old 11-01-2018, 04:41 AM   #190

Gavin, I didn't see you at Hallet. Are you going to make it to COTA?
Old 11-23-2018, 06:51 PM   #191

Bump. What happened to titaniumdave?

I've got a 4.2l S6 motor and ecu heading my way. Hoping to have this completed by next track season
1thenaton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:57 PM   #192

Quote:

If anyone in Ontario has a hoist and wants to do this to their car, I'll design the parts, get them fabricated, and do the wiring. You supply the V8 and the Boxster (preferably a later model 986).
I know you've already started your build, but would you by chance want to so another one in parallel? Always wanted a V8 986, but don't have the space nor skills to make it happen. Would be happy to supply car, Audi front-cut/parts car and etc. Thanks!
PlaneReflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:44 AM   #193
INFOSEC Ninja

This thread, among others, has me wanting to do this swap to my Boxster. So far, I've got an S8 AYS engine and a Cayman S 6 speed transmission. Next step is to sell the 2.7L.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:17 PM   #194

Meh, this thread is kind of the opposite for me. Two years on and no one in the thread has one up and running? And the guy talking about making a kit has gone awol?
1thenaton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 03:38 PM   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1thenaton1 View Post
Meh, this thread is kind of the opposite for me. Two years on and no one in the thread has one up and running? And the guy talking about making a kit has gone awol?
Yup, all for the glory of having an Audi motor in it because it shares German blood. Should just LS swap it and be done.
Mine was lots of fun, maybe one day i'll do that budget swap I was wanting to do...
BoxsterLS376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:50 PM   #196
B6T

"Just LS swap it and be done"

Oh that simple eh? Was it your build thread where there was multiple pages devoted only to the cutting and welding required to get the LS to fit between the seats and the transmission?

I've gotten a decent amount of research and trial fitting with both the V8 and V6 engines. I'm at a point where I can start designing and fabricating mounts/frames/etc.
However, I'm holding out on my own swap until I can find a decent Cayman S transmission - the way I look at it is that there is no point doing the swap with the Boxster 5-speed since you'll be limited to around the same sort of power a Boxster S makes from the factory anyway.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:11 PM   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1thenaton1 View Post
Mine is running and has been for a while. Not a great solution for a road car, but not too bad a build for a racecar.

Biggest problem I've been facing is keeping it cool - think i have that solved now with a turbo center radiator and high quality aluminum side radiators.

The big advantage for me putting an Audi motor is is that it is legal in NASA GTS racing.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:02 PM   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by specboxCO View Post
Mine is running and has been for a while. Not a great solution for a road car, but not too bad a build for a racecar.

Biggest problem I've been facing is keeping it cool - think i have that solved now with a turbo center radiator and high quality aluminum side radiators.

The big advantage for me putting an Audi motor is is that it is legal in NASA GTS racing.
Fellow NASA guy here. Do they consider it the same manufacturer?

Last edited by truegearhead; 03-05-2019 at 04:04 PM.
truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 04:28 PM   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegearhead View Post
Fellow NASA guy here. Do they consider it the same manufacturer?
NASA GTS allows engine swaps within the same "family" i.e if its in the VAG group its fair game, so you could swap a Bugatti Veyron engine into a Skoda fabia and it would be GTS legal. Putting a Mercedes sprinter engine in a VW Caddy however would not be legal.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:01 PM   #200

Quote:
I'm holding out on my own swap until I can find a decent Cayman S transmission - the way I look at it is that there is no point doing the swap with the Boxster 5-speed since you'll be limited to around the same sort of power a Boxster S makes from the factory anyway.
I'm planning on putting 450bhp through my 5 speed, wish me luck.

Escy is offline   Reply With Quote