Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #1

catback exhaust

Good day all.I have always wanted to change the exhaust on my Boxster 2000 and decided to tackle it this week.I got one of those exhaust on E-Bay.When I received it it looked terrific and I was looking forward to an easy change.I don't do much work on my car as I don't have that many tools but I tackle the simple stuff.I looked at the video on youtube to get a feel of the difficulty involved.It looked quite straightforward.I did remove the screws holding the bumper shell and lifted it part way to have better access to all the bolts .All went well loosening the bolts on the U pipes but the difficulty came when I tried to access the top bolts on the muffler.The space is quite limited but I managed to get a socket in them and tried to loosen them to no avail.Spent a few hours trying to think of a way to loosen them without stripping.I then managed to get to one of the nuts behind the top aluminum bar on the muffler.That done I tried to remove the bolt and it would still not turn and come out.Only to find out that there is a metal flange that stops the bolt from turning so the nut can be installed.The access to the other one is even worst as there is very limited space to get to the nut.I did get it with patience.I never saw in any description of muffler removal this flange being a problem as everyone seems to do it in a few hours.How do you the top bots and nuts so easily?It took me 7 hours to finish a job that I thought would take 4.I must say though I love the sound but the drone takes getting use to.

lahalte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #2

Garage
Hmm, maybe i found it easy because I have a full 4-arm lift, but I seemed to have plenty of access on mine. The bracket between the transmission and the muffler was kind of a pain to get all of the bolts out, however I never had a point where i felt there was no way I could get a socket on them.

Maybe you need to invest in a set of shallow sockets. They're very helpful in times like this.

Took me about an hour and a half to get my muffler in and out when I did a solid polishing job on it.

At least you got it done and didn't loose hope! All is well
Best of luck next time!
~Brad
Mrmaddbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #3

Garage
It also helps immensely to use a penetrating spray if you haven't done so. A spray called PB Blaster has saved my butt many times, and if you're fearful of taking it off the parts in the future, anti-seize will be great.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:35 PM   #4

do you have a link for the ebay and how much was the exhaust? did you take pictures of your DIY? any ECL after install? Im planning on changing mine.
jovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:14 AM   #5

exhaust

I paid $290 on EBay for the exhaust and that is including shipping.I will try to get pictures of the installation .
Old 12-03-2012, 04:44 AM   #6
Ex Esso kid

I pulled a 986 exhaust on a four post lift and once on my back under the car. All I have to say is if people think that hardware is tough to reach and get an angle on they should never, ever attempt repairs on an X/19 Fiat. Taking that muffler out is very easy and does not require any rear cover removal.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:43 AM   #7

exhaust

Yes it is easy to remove but my information was not totally correct.It would have been much easier just removing the four nuts on the aluminum bar .Two at each end.Instead of trying to remove the two middle nuts and bolts.The video I had told me to remove the two middle ones which are much harder to access.To do it again it would be much easier.Live and learn.That is why we have this forum.Her are a few pictures showing the new exhaust.I lifted the flange one one side of the old muffler to show why you cannot unbolt it from that side.The flange blocks the bolt from turning.That is the reason the corner nuts on the aluminum bar are much easier to get to.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #8

it's too late for this muffler removal, but for others that may want to swap out muffler, there's lots of thread on this topic,
and here's my rendition for removal without taking the bumper off
1) remove the two u-tubes
2) remove the lower muffler hanger.. the little round wire
3) remove the two nuts holding the muffler (plate)
4) push the plate towards the bumper to clear the two bolts.. the muffler should just drop out

Quote:
Originally Posted by lahalte View Post
Yes it is easy to remove but my information was not totally correct.It would have been much easier just removing the four nuts on the aluminum bar .Two at each end.Instead of trying to remove the two middle nuts and bolts.The video I had told me to remove the two middle ones which are much harder to access.To do it again it would be much easier.Live and learn.That is why we have this forum.Her are a few pictures showing the new exhaust.I lifted the flange one one side of the old muffler to show why you cannot unbolt it from that side.The flange blocks the bolt from turning.That is the reason the corner nuts on the aluminum bar are much easier to get to.

i

Last edited by sb01box; 12-03-2012 at 11:08 AM. Reason: placed response on top
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:45 PM   #9

I agree with your steps and they are as simple as that.But number 3 where you remove the two nuts from the plate may cause a problem as the bolt heads are facing the rear towards the bumper and cannot be remove without accessing the nuts that are on the other side close to the transmission and difficult to get to without proper tools.That is why I am suggesting removing the two nuts that are at each extremity of the plate that are much easier to get to then removing the muffler.The plate can be removed later with the muffler removed.It is an easy project so don't be afraid to tackle it.I do not do a lot of mechanical work so eveything is a bit of a challenge for me but I am willing to give it a shot.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lahalte View Post
I agree with your steps and they are as simple as that.But number 3 where you remove the two nuts from the plate may cause a problem as the bolt heads are facing the rear towards the bumper and cannot be remove without accessing the nuts that are on the other side close to the transmission and difficult to get to without proper tools.That is why I am suggesting removing the two nuts that are at each extremity of the plate that are much easier to get to then removing the muffler.The plate can be removed later with the muffler removed.It is an easy project so don't be afraid to tackle it.I do not do a lot of mechanical work so eveything is a bit of a challenge for me but I am willing to give it a shot.
the long bolts are captive and the nut will (should) come off without putting a wrench or socket to the bolt heads.

sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote