Thread: catback exhaust
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
lahalte

catback exhaust

Good day all.I have always wanted to change the exhaust on my Boxster 2000 and decided to tackle it this week.I got one of those exhaust on E-Bay.When I received it it looked terrific and I was looking forward to an easy change.I don't do much work on my car as I don't have that many tools but I tackle the simple stuff.I looked at the video on youtube to get a feel of the difficulty involved.It looked quite straightforward.I did remove the screws holding the bumper shell and lifted it part way to have better access to all the bolts .All went well loosening the bolts on the U pipes but the difficulty came when I tried to access the top bolts on the muffler.The space is quite limited but I managed to get a socket in them and tried to loosen them to no avail.Spent a few hours trying to think of a way to loosen them without stripping.I then managed to get to one of the nuts behind the top aluminum bar on the muffler.That done I tried to remove the bolt and it would still not turn and come out.Only to find out that there is a metal flange that stops the bolt from turning so the nut can be installed.The access to the other one is even worst as there is very limited space to get to the nut.I did get it with patience.I never saw in any description of muffler removal this flange being a problem as everyone seems to do it in a few hours.How do you the top bots and nuts so easily?It took me 7 hours to finish a job that I thought would take 4.I must say though I love the sound but the drone takes getting use to.
lahalte is offline   Reply With Quote