Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #1

Garage
De snorkled

I don't know how much RWHP I gained by de-snorkling the beast but it added 50 HP to the sound!

davedeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:23 PM   #2

Garage
Davedeck, what if any are the disadvantages. I've been thinking about doing it, but figure it's there for a reason. Any ideas or thoughts that may help me in my decision to desnorkel or not desnorkel.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:43 PM   #3

Oh Noes!! Not another de-snorkling pros/cons thread!
Old 07-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olin View Post
Davedeck, what if any are the disadvantages. I've been thinking about doing it, but figure it's there for a reason. Any ideas or thoughts that may help me in my decision to desnorkel or not desnorkel.
its tere for noise emissions...

removed mine a few years ago. no issues. lots of threads, just do a quick search.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedeck View Post
I don't know how much RWHP I gained by de-snorkling the beast but it added 50 HP to the sound!
Look at the first post on this thread:

http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/9671-finally-dyno-charts-de-snorked-986s-6.html

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:44 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon View Post
its tere for noise emissions...

removed mine a few years ago. no issues. lots of threads, just do a quick search.
Thanks Tony, hadn't, heard the terminology before, or being new to this forum didn,t realize it had such a big thread previously.

Obviously pissed off others for asking the question.

Done the research now and much wiser.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:59 AM   #7

Garage
Hey Olin ya gotta be thick skinned to run with this bunch. I haven't noticed any real performance change but the sound is worth running with the top down in 106 degrees
davedeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #8

Garage
My mission was to do this yesterday. I failed miserably. I just cannot get the blinds to pop. Maybe I'm just skeered? I've read at least 5 articles on this with pictures. If I'm having this much trouble getting the blinds pushed in, I'm really scared as to how much trouble it will be to pull the tube out, which I heard is the hard part. My next option will be to use a hammer on them unless someone has some information that is not in the step by step instructions.
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:51 AM   #9

Hammer is not the way to go. Just push harder
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBeerToad View Post
My mission was to do this yesterday. I failed miserably. I just cannot get the blinds to pop. Maybe I'm just skeered? I've read at least 5 articles on this with pictures. If I'm having this much trouble getting the blinds pushed in, I'm really scared as to how much trouble it will be to pull the tube out, which I heard is the hard part. My next option will be to use a hammer on them unless someone has some information that is not in the step by step instructions.

I just stuffed my hand in there and pulled it out
2 sekonds operAtion

Stop by if you want
I'll help out
I'm 60659

Last edited by golonaus; 07-30-2012 at 11:15 AM.
golonaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedeck View Post
Hey Olin ya gotta be thick skinned to run with this bunch. I haven't noticed any real performance change but the sound is worth running with the top down in 106 degrees
Haha thanks Dave, I will obviously have to lift my game.

Might have to give this desnorkelling a try, I was a tad concerned about water and crap getting in. They sure need a little bit of noise though.

Cheers mate

Last edited by Olin; 07-30-2012 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Mistake on last line
Olin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:49 AM   #12

Garage
I may take you up on that. You're about an hour north of me. I'm in Lansing IL. I'll get in touch with you on this board when I'll be able to make the trip. This weekend is out because I am becoming old this weekend and the car will be parked and I will more than likely be drunk. Thanks.
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:08 AM   #13
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olin View Post
Might have to give this desnorkelling a try, I was a tad concerned about water and crap getting in.
As long as you don't go and spray a bunch of water directly into the intake duct you should be fine.

Just to be on the safe side I'm going to cut some mesh and put it over the hole that the snorkel will be leaving once it's removed, but I'm not really worried about anything the snorkel is alleged to prevent.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:19 PM   #14

Garage
Thanks O/D sounds like a plan. I was thinking along those thoughts. Will give it a go shortly.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:59 PM   #15
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono0001 View Post
Hammer is not the way to go. Just push harder

Ya know? I have to laugh I'm a perfect 3/3 (3 cars three breaks) for the cursive writing that Porsche makes from the same high quality plastic used in CD holders. Couldn't they just ask GE to make them out of Lexan? They would outlast the car! Anyway no hijack point being you don't want to force ANY Porsche plastic unless you want to be replacing it. Especially those blinds that have a small foot that fits into a sleeve that just happens to be at the end of a dainty plastic arm.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:29 PM   #16
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
I've tried a few times to remove the body-colored vent surround first instead of pushing on the vanes to try and get access to those clips to push on them rather than directly on the vanes. I felt like the vanes were so flimsy when I pushed on them that they would snap and leave me with an ugly gaping hole while I wait for new vanes to come in. That being said, I can't see how one can remove either of these pieces without a good amount of force involved. The surround just wouldn't come out, and I didn't want to see just how far I could push before the vanes cracked. Am I just being skittish or will that 15 year old plastic indeed give way before coming out of its clipping points?

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:12 PM   #17

i remember thinking the same thing. i wish i could offer more advice, but it was 2 years ago when i removed mine. i just remember being certain it was going to break, and i remember i ended up doing it wrong. in the end, nothing broke and once i finally got done i realized just how wrong i went about it.

**edit**
so i found a post where i mentioned what i did wrong. http://986forum.com/forums/218912-post26.html looks like i didn't push on the vents and loosen them before trying to remove the surround. from what i've seen, you have to push the vents loose, then remove the surround, then remove the vents from the clips.

Last edited by tonycarreon; 07-31-2012 at 02:19 PM.
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon View Post
i remember thinking the same thing. i wish i could offer more advice, but it was 2 years ago when i removed mine. i just remember being certain it was going to break, and i remember i ended up doing it wrong. in the end, nothing broke and once i finally got done i realized just how wrong i went about it.

**edit**
so i found a post where i mentioned what i did wrong. http://986forum.com/forums/218912-post26.html looks like i didn't push on the vents and loosen them before trying to remove the surround. from what i've seen, you have to push the vents loose, then remove the surround, then remove the vents from the clips.
You need to separate the vanes from the outer piece before withdrawal. You actually have to push in on the vane to free them from the clips (to sheet metal)ing before pulling out the outer piece. The trick is to find the small rests on the outer body coloured piece and dislodge the vane piece off of them before pushing in to get it of the clips.......phew

You really have to look for these they are tiny and very hard to see.....get it wrong and you could break something
Old 08-03-2012, 08:49 AM   #19

Protective screen

Here is how a 1/4 mesh screen (hardware cloth) looks added to the back of an '03 vent. Keeps cigarettes and leaves out of the intake after de -snorkeling.

AKL
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:45 AM   #20

I've been de-snork'd for about 3 years. I drive on all kinds of roads, rain and shine, and I have experienced no problems whatsoever. No water getting in, no leaves, cigarette butts,gum wrappers, bugs... nothing. Perhaps I have just been lucky.

That said, I still think installing a screen is a really good idea , probably looks good too. Got a pic of the view from the outside?