Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2020, 06:15 AM   #21
Racer Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Just finished putting in a rollbar in my Cayman, rollbar in yesterday and today modifying 4 trim pieces to account for the rollbar, and then fitting it all back in. Hope I never have to do that again :,-)

Just curious, Steve - do any of the track organizations you run with require diagonal supports for roll bars? When I had my street Miata, I had to put a diagonal bar in to be able to run on the track.

Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:38 PM   #22

name that car.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:59 PM   #23
Racer Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post

name that car.
Hmm, looks like a GT6 roof grafted onto a TR6. "GTR6"?
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:21 AM   #24

winner. i like the look of it. a car triumph should have made. perhaps change up the quarter windows a little bit. i wish there were more pics available of it; i fear the rear view might be a bit unfortunate, as the tr6 has a boxy rear end and not sure how that works with the smoother lines of the gt6 roof. side profile has a bit of swb going on hey.

Old 01-22-2020, 07:26 AM   #25
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
winner. i like the look of it. a car triumph should have made. perhaps change up the quarter windows a little bit. i wish there were more pics available of it; i fear the rear view might be a bit unfortunate, as the tr6 has a boxy rear end and not sure how that works with the smoother lines of the gt6 roof. side profile has a bit of swb going on hey.

This car (above) I like.

but this car (below) I do not.

maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:53 AM   #26

that is a slightly dr zeuss response, sam-i-am. here's a swb you can put on a miata:

https://www.simpsondesign.net/italia-3-swb

and here is one you can put on a z3:

https://www.facebook.com/TributeAutomotive/
Old 02-01-2020, 09:59 AM   #27
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
There's a nice car in the classified section. Figured I'd repost here since that thread got trashed with Off-Topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy View Post
2001 Porsche Boxster S, 51,422 miles, WP0CB29861U660324, 6-speed manual, Lapis Blue over Savannah Beige full leather interior, TPC Racing supercharger kit, SSR 3-piece wheels, extensive recent maintenance, super clean inside and out, clean Carfax, $15,500 OBO.

Factory Options:
Metropol Blue top
Full leather interior
Sport touring package – CD changer, door and rear speakers, cruise control, rear storage box, windstop, on-board computer

Upgrades:
TPC Racing Supercharger kit – installed by TPC racing, includes Eaton M62 supercharger, high-flow headers and cats, upgraded suspension bushings
SSR 3-piece forged wheels 18x8 and 18x9.5
Numeric Racing shifter
Function First aluminum shift knob with embossed shift pattern
Redline Goods Nappa leather shift boot
Non-smoker console panel
Weathertech floor liners
Removed intake silencer
Painted rear bumperettes
Front Bumper Plugs
Rear badging removed

Recent Maintenance:
Major service including spark plugs, RH coil packs (behind supercharger), oil change, coolant change, fuel filter, air filter, pollen filter, transmission fluid
Michelin Pilot AS3 tires front and rear
Removed supercharger to replace coupler, change oil, and replace idler pulleys
Alignment
Rear lower control arms
Rear cooling ducts
Battery
Ignition switch
Water pump
Turn signal switch
Radio knobs
Serpentine belt

History:
The original owner had the supercharger kit installed at TPC Racing in Jessup, MD, trucking the car both ways. I purchased this Boxster from the second owner, who purchased the car in 2004. Originally sold and delivered in Omaha, where it stayed until my purchase. Never a daily driver, never driven in the snow or ice, always a nice day car for all owners. The second owner drove it on nice days and otherwise kept it in the garage under a cover on a battery tender the remainder of the time. He only sold the car because of recent hip and knee surgery making it difficult to drive.

Exterior:
Lapis Blue is a fantastic color, and fairly rare. The paint is in excellent condition with a wonderful deep shine and great gloss. It was always hand washed by myself and the previous owner, and frequently waxed. Very slight swirl marks but overall the paint is in excellent condition. No door dings, two very shallow dents on the rear hatch that are almost impossible to see, no other body damage. Headlights and taillights are clear with no haze. Wheels are in great condition without any bends or damage, there are slight scratches on the center sections from mount and dismount (see detailed pics). The top is in excellent condition without any noteworthy wear and excellent operation, and the plastic rear window is very close to perfect. The only flaw of any real note is a spot of failed clearcoat on the driver’s side mirror, which is very subtle and could be easily fixed. Like nearly all of these cars, there are scratches on the underside of the front bumper, but you can’t see them unless you are under the car.

Interior:
Again in excellent condition. Most of the interior panels are leather as part of the full leather interior option, and it gives the car a much higher quality feel than the standard vinyl. Thanks to being garage kept the leather dash is in excellent shape, it doesn’t have any of the shrinking or cracking that you’ll find on cars that have sat in the sun. Plastics are also in excellent shape, without the normal scratching you’ll find on most Boxsters in areas like the door sills, console, and dash. When I purchased the car it had a stick-on woodgrain installed that was very tacky, I disassembled much of the interior to remove the woodgrain and give it an extensive cleaning. I also replaced the driver’s side mirror trim panel for a cracked tab, and installed a non-smoker console kit. No stains, no tears, no smoking, no pets. All interior features work 100% correctly, with hot heat and cold A/C. The previous owner replaced the driver’s side seat bottom, which has excellent leather but isn’t a perfect match with the upper. There is moderate wear on the driver’s side upper leather and passenger side seat, but no tears or heavy wear. There is slight shadowing on the door panels from where the woodgrain panels were installed, but it’s very subtle. There are a few light scuffs on the door pocket covers and console, but again very slight.

Mechanical:
As you would guess from the maintenance list above, the mechanical condition is excellent. I’ve owned a number of 9X6 Porsches over the years, and have a good handle on what these cars need to be right. All maintenance is up to date, this car will not need any work for a long time. The TPC Racing supercharger kit provides about 4.5 psi of boost, which provides a moderate bump in power. I would compare it to the performance of a 996 generation 911, substantially quicker than a standard Boxster S. The supercharger does a great job of filling in the normally weak low-end torque of the 3.2L, making for a much more responsive and quick feeling car. Other than some rotational noise at idle and whine under boost, drivability is like OEM. No codes, no stage 2 overrevs. Steering is excellent as with all Boxsters, no vibration or kickback, and smooth tracking with a recent alignment. Brakes are strong and without vibration and noise, and an excellent stiff pedal. The transmission shifts great, the Numeric shifter is expensive but by far the best shifter available on the market for a modern Porsche. No second gear pop issues, it shifts great. The sport exhaust provides a little more noise but is subtle, especially at highway cruise. Overall it’s a really great driving car that I would take anywhere.

Summary:
Overall this is a very clean and attractive Boxster S with a number of excellent upgrades, being sold for the same money as a comparable low-mileage stock car. I have invested a lot of time and money in making this car turnkey, and it will make the next owner very happy. Clean Carfax and maintenance records available upon request, two working keys, full owner’s manual, and records from myself and the second owner will all be provided. I will also include a custom fit sunshade and a rear window pad to protect the plastic rear window when the top is folded. Clean and clear KS title in hand, ready to sell. PM me or email at mattjessupbba at gmail.com.

Old 02-28-2020, 05:02 AM   #28
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Pandemic: We need a Plan...

Old 02-28-2020, 05:35 AM   #29
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
bwahahaha. Classic! haha
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 05:26 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamOxford View Post
So what's in your pile?

TO
I sold off the last of accumulated vintage gear last weekend, kind of sad but about a year back I realized all of it was never going to do anything but sit and collect dust. Several Marantz / Pioneer receivers from late 1970's, several sets of EV Interface speakers (B's, C's, D's and Sentry's) from the same era, all pristine. Met many great guys who were all around the same age as me lol, one nice fellow drove down from Canada to SW Ohio to pick up a pair of speakers that almost did not fit in the car he brought, wow. Great hobby with great people but I'm kind of in the dumping stuff I don't need / use stage of life.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:32 PM   #31
Damn Yankee

Garage
I'm in the same boat as you, but every time I crank up one of my old units, the analog sound just blows me away, and I eventually regress.

I inherited my first pieces of "hi-fi" equipment, a Voice of Music Model 714 reel-to-reel and a Garrard turntable, when my grandfather passed away. I was just 8 years old, but I wore the heck out of those units.

Maybe my heirs will cherish my equipment the way I cherished my granddad's.

Just sayin'.........

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:17 PM   #32

I've got vintage stuff as well and like all of you, not sure why except why not.

I'm original owner of the following...
Adcom Preamp/tuner. GTP 535 (I think) from 1985
Hafler DH-200 (I built from kit) in 1983 and have not had apart since. I've used it and the ADCOM preamp/tuner in my garage until last year when I finally got them back into an air conditioned space.
Magnapan MGIIIa- Finally rebuit the speaker last winter (re-glued voice coil wires) along with new grill cloths. They still sound great!
AR Turntable - Installed new belt and did general tune up. Have new Grado cartridge but for some stupid reason, have not finished playing with the table to put it back in operations.
2 Nakamichi cassette deck (480 and BX-300). Sitting in a closet. Not sure what to do with them.

My oldest son has my Marantz 2230 receiver. It still works but need general cleaning and bulbs replaced. Lots of sentimental value in this thing....I took out a $400 loan from a credit union to by this and a belt drive turntable at age 14!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:59 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
I've got vintage stuff as well and like all of you, not sure why except why not.

I'm original owner of the following...
Adcom Preamp/tuner. GTP 535 (I think) from 1985
Hafler DH-200 (I built from kit) in 1983 and have not had apart since. I've used it and the ADCOM preamp/tuner in my garage until last year when I finally got them back into an air conditioned space.
Magnapan MGIIIa- Finally rebuit the speaker last winter (re-glued voice coil wires) along with new grill cloths. They still sound great!
AR Turntable - Installed new belt and did general tune up. Have new Grado cartridge but for some stupid reason, have not finished playing with the table to put it back in operations.
2 Nakamichi cassette deck (480 and BX-300). Sitting in a closet. Not sure what to do with them.

My oldest son has my Marantz 2230 receiver. It still works but need general cleaning and bulbs replaced. Lots of sentimental value in this thing....I took out a $400 loan from a credit union to by this and a belt drive turntable at age 14!
Now THAT is impressive lol. I bought a refurbished Marantz 2285B from Service Merchandise in 1979 for $225 with my savings as a high school grocery stock boy lol. Sold it like an idiot in 1990 for $150 to "upgrade" towards a Technics home theater set-up. Sold a Marantz 2330B in pristine condition for upwards of 10 times that not long back, the old stuff has gotten goofy.......
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 03:46 AM   #34
Side Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
This thread has one, singular purpose:
randomness and ease of "bumping", with the simple goal of making sure the political threads aren't the first thing at the top of the "new posts" list every time I come to the forum.

and here's a picture..... just for fun.
Are those spots on the engine cover body panel sun faded?

This is the increase your threadcount post? Right? kidding