Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2020, 12:52 PM   #441

Hey Mark, sweet! counting you in for sure. Have a look at that awesome wheel refresh DIY vid from member TTGator, see if this would work for you (you can see the red center caps installed toward the end of the vid). Pics in gun metal a few posts up

Choice is all yours!

http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/77575-diy-painting-your-own-wheels.html

edit: pic here now lol

Old 05-09-2020, 11:21 AM   #442

Fred

I will take the gunmetal color.

Thanks

Mark
Old 05-09-2020, 10:58 PM   #443

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan_S View Post
(...) time think whether I want the gunmetal grey or black version (...)
Still a tough choice... but I've decided to go for these:

Evan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 10:11 AM   #444

I'd be in for one or two sets!
Old 05-12-2020, 07:09 AM   #445

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Hey Mark, sweet! counting you in for sure. Have a look at that awesome wheel refresh DIY vid from member TTGator, see if this would work for you (you can see the red center caps installed toward the end of the vid). Pics in gun metal a few posts up

Choice is all yours!

http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/77575-diy-painting-your-own-wheels.html

edit: pic here now lol

I guess I will be in for a set also since Helping TT gator paint his wheels, we liked them so much did my own the same color!! Hated to be a copy cat but....

Gunmetal should be close!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:51 AM   #446

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kboggs View Post
I guess I will be in for a set also since Helping TT gator paint his wheels, we liked them so much did my own the same color!! Hated to be a copy cat but....

Gunmetal should be close!
Ok, I'm next to the Gunmetal Club... tired of my satin black wheels anyway, they were fun at the time! Let me talk to my indy and see if he's willing to help me out with this and let his paint guy do my set in the same gm tone as you guys. Copycat x2 coming your way soon

Reading your msg guys, trust me I can't wait to get those machines set-up for those caps. No need to pre-order, I'll turn a 50x sets/batch so... far more than we need for everyone I'm sure
Old 05-12-2020, 08:06 AM   #447

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTGator View Post
Yes! He’s back. I need a new set to match my new wheel paint job

Your starting a new fad .

Kboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:08 AM   #448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kboggs View Post
Your starting a new fad .

Hahaha I see that!
2015 Ninja 300
TTGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 08:07 PM   #449

Center caps

How can I purchase a set of those fantastic center caps? I’m also going with the Gunmetal finish....should look nice with the Ocean Blue paint
Tw9886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 04:06 AM   #450
Tyler

Garage
Looking to Buy

Hello Fred, really interested in buying a set of these for my car!

Former: 2005 Mercedes C230K 6MT.
redbox986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 12:47 PM   #451
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Fred, any chances to get those beauties built in spring 2021? I plan to get new tires then, so it would be nice to have them along with some TPMS TTMS sensors installed.
And another question: Would it be possible to get them in matte black plus pull holes, like the OEM ones have?
Old 07-20-2020, 02:42 PM   #452

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
So let’s make something together!

Some of you already know that I am a bit of a wheel gaga and often looking for ways to make my wheels look kool’er. Keeping them surgically clean in & out is obviously not enough, installing LEDs on the valve stem is not-an-option, and modifying/compromising the structure of the wheel in any ways is somehow less than smart.

Therefore, this leaves me with no other options than the center of rotation, the hollow area; The Great Center Cap!!!

Many will have seen the center cap I’ve designed and published here 3 years ago. They are Carrera GT Center Lock “Style” wheel caps (replicas, pic below). They were initially meant at replacing the boring and style-less plastic center caps my (at the time) expansive wheels came with.

Long story short; they came out pretty good and served (to the eye) just perfectly! Almost so good (loll) that today, those same CGT style CC are being copied by a-lot of our fellow Chinese aftermarket car parts mfg. Country-wide (no affiliations in any ways). They became quite popular and being sold by the dozen each week. That’s right - I regularly keep an eye on these folks’ Alibaba, eBay and Taobao stores to track how they are doing. I always order the stuff I do from those guys just to see how they manufacture them cheaper (Chinese are Masters at this!), final product quality, etc, etc. A hobby I have with all the parts that I’ve done in the past which are still being copied by the thousands today (e.g. adjustable race clip-ons, adj rearsets, adj/foldable levers, few others… mostly race bike parts). We’ve done quite good dosh with this work in the pass

So why am I saying all this, well, mainly because we are bored of the One & Only style available and need another one I guess. Almost urgent; Club friends locally here have been asking for this since quite a while now so I’ll finally deliver what I’ve promised in the past. They’ll still remain for Porsche wheels only, but looking slightly different. And perhaps, who knows, we’ll come up with a new GT Series (design variations).

Inspired from other DIY I’ve done in the pass, I’ll share with you the whole process; touching CAD/CAE/CAM, validations and other PLM involved for getting a product designed, prototyped, manufactured and hopefully, packaged.

Hope you’ll all enjoy as much as I do

F.

[Original CGT Style Center Cap ]
How much are you selling it for?
22abeiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:44 AM   #453

Garage
I have a set of red hubs for sale

I bought these red center caps - I never put them on my 2003 Boxster - I just sold the car to buy my new Cayman and now I would like to sell these caps for $200 if anyone is interested. They are perfectly like new and still in the box.

Last edited by OliveBranch986; 10-31-2020 at 11:55 AM.
OliveBranch986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 05:46 AM   #454

Raising this from the 2020 dead. Any chance we'll see a new batch this year? Otherwise Ill keep praying to the mod gods and roaming the FS section
preppyr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 04:13 AM   #455

Do you still have the original style CGT caps I would like a set for my 2002 turbo.
Thanks
Carlos
Lucas996TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 04:49 PM   #456

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
I have a set of the first production center caps I’d be willing to let go

https://tinypic.host/image/IMG-6318.ZP4AE
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 08:24 AM   #457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintro11 View Post
I have a set of the first production center caps I’d be willing to let go

https://tinypic.host/image/IMG-6318.ZP4AE
I'm interested and located in Canada! Unfortunately I just joined and don't have PM privilege. Let me know how to best reach you. Thanks!
997CarreraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 10:59 AM   #458

Love these caps. Are you selling them (sorry if it was mentioned didn’t read full thread)

If so what’s process, timeframe & cost?

Thanks
paulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 08:17 AM   #459

Garage
Nine8Six is gone in the wind. To get any of these and his other creations you should check the classifieds. Occasionally used ones come up for sale.
Old 11-30-2023, 05:37 PM   #460

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 997CarreraRS View Post
I'm interested and located in Canada! Unfortunately I just joined and don't have PM privilege. Let me know how to best reach you. Thanks!
Euro944@me.com is my email

Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote