Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2015, 06:42 PM   #401

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Be careful cleaning though. I used a microfiber cloth that actually caused some very slight scratches I was able to polish them out with some Plastix.
Good job Bruce,

Fred is looking at getting a hardening coat put over the perspex. Not sure how far along he is, But for those that already purchased the skybreaker like you, he is offering another hardened Perspex for around $20 I think plus postage I assume.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:42 PM   #402

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonD View Post
Good job Bruce,

Fred is looking at getting a hardening coat put over the perspex. Not sure how far along he is, But for those that already purchased the skybreaker like you, he is offering another hardened Perspex for around $20 I think plus postage I assume.
Thanks! Yep, waiting patiently for the new improved version
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:01 PM   #403

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
I ended up tapping into fuse E1 which should be the radio according to my diagram. There is a hole just above the fuse panel that I put a bolt in to use as the ground. I found that tidbit on the forum when someone hard wired their radar detector. I ran the wire under the sill plate. Very impressed with the light itself. Be careful cleaning though. I used a microfiber cloth that actually caused some very slight scratches I was able to polish them out with some Plastix.

I put the control next to the document holder with some Velcro.

great job bruce!
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:53 AM   #404

Quote:
Jon - you are rushin', I can feel it all the way from China LOL

Extra Hard Coating Update:

The 3 WDs I've sent to the hardernizer (the new name we gave him!) last weekend have been coated successfully this last Thursday. It takes 72hrs for curing which mean he will only be able to pack those and send back my way this Sunday. I should receive them this Tuesday or Wed latest. Something like that....

Spoke to him yesterday, he told me that they look and are as hard as my bathroom mirror... whatever that means. Can't wait to have them back and throw some 'dusty' microfiber cloths at them. This same company does the Maserati's cluster gauge faces coating so if its good for Maserati, it should be good for the SkyBreaker

They'll have to be the Best in the World x1,000

Jon - to be precise on timing, we are looking at about 2 (two) weeks from today until the day I will be sending those recalled panels to existing customers. The whole process involves me etching and laser cutting the panels and then sending them all to him for coating (takes about a week for both operations). So two weeks total! Goes fast

Other news is I've already started manufacturing additional kits (ctrl box, the blades, etc). I am doing a few kits, just in case loll Also got the 987 friends of friends crowd running after me at the moment. Word of mouth is nasty loll

Never in a million years I would have expect this to go viral. I am petrified to list those on eBay or elsewhere... I'll possibly end up doing those for the rest of 2015

I'll update as soon as I have anything new from my end. And before you mention Jon, I know your summer is on its way out, I'll hurry promise

Last edited by Nine8Six; 02-07-2015 at 01:35 AM. Reason: correct timing this time...
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:56 AM   #405

Quote:
Supa Cool Bruce! Thanks for sharing a nite pix mate

It's actually the first time I see the blue one... love it. Also like your under dash installation, clever

Can't wait to see Herbert's "amber" kit. That should be quite cool as well
Old 02-07-2015, 07:04 AM   #406

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintro11 View Post
great job bruce!
Thanks Martin! Thank you for your pictures, they were very helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Supa Cool Bruce! Thanks for sharing a nite pix mate

It's actually the first time I see the blue one... love it. Also like your under dash installation, clever

Can't wait to see Herbert's "amber" kit. That should be quite cool as well
No problem Fred, the pictures don't do your work justice! The etching looks fantastic without the light on and then.....you turn the LED's on and.... Very nice mod! And yes, my micro fiber cloth must have had some dust in it I hope you guys have a great weekend
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 04:19 PM   #407

Do I PM you to order?
Website says out of stock..
geetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:51 PM   #408

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetee View Post
Do I PM you to order?
Website says out of stock..
They are indeed out of stock, sorry about that mate.

Best is to register on that gtp site and click that link above the social icons (get notified when stock are available link). You'll get an instant email notification as soon as those comes back to life. Also helps me out to figure how many I have to make

I'm speeding up no worries. They are being manufactured as I type so it shouldn't be too long. Aiming to make them avail this month
Old 02-07-2015, 09:37 PM   #409

hi Fred,

I promise you definitely not trying to rush you, I was purely informing Bruce about your intentions. I myself don't always read every post so maybe others don't either and I thought maybe Bruce was not aware you were looking at hardening the Perspex by making mention of the scratches. I do sincerely apologise Fred if I gave the impression I was rushing you.

Summer here isn' t that great at the moment I usually only drive the car on extremely nice days, never in the rain unless it's absolutely necessary, and very rarely at night.

Have a great weekend everyone. I'll just shut up now.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:27 AM   #410

Quote:
hi Fred,

I promise you definitely not trying to rush you, I was purely informing Bruce about your intentions. I myself don't always read every post so maybe others don't either and I thought maybe Bruce was not aware you were looking at hardening the Perspex by making mention of the scratches. I do sincerely apologise Fred if I gave the impression I was rushing you.

Summer here isn' t that great at the moment I usually only drive the car on extremely nice days, never in the rain unless it's absolutely necessary, and very rarely at night.

Have a great weekend everyone. I'll just shut up now.

You don't drive in the rain? Is the top stuck down? Haha you will not melt
Old 02-08-2015, 06:36 AM   #411

Wow! These deflectors are amazing!
Sorry - first time poster so quick introduction - I found this site when I was looking to buy a Boxster back in June, I bought one in July and have been loving the car since (2003 Boxster S with 45,000 miles, in silver with navy roof and navy interior).

I found this thread while looking for options for light upgrades - what a find! I REALLY want one!
I've registered on the GT series site and am looking forward to hearing that these are back in touch - once they're available how do I let you know what design and colour combo I want?
Has anyone with the same colour combo as mine had one and how does it look? I'm torn between blue and red.

Thanks, and looking forward to getting more into this site

Cheers

Adam
blackandwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:35 AM   #412

Quote:
Extra Hard Coating Update:

The 3 WDs I've sent to the hardernizer (the new name we gave him!) last weekend have been coated successfully this last Thursday. It takes 72hrs for curing which mean he will only be able to pack those and send back my way this Sunday. I should receive them this Tuesday or Wed latest. Something like that....

Spoke to him yesterday, he told me that they look and are as hard as my bathroom mirror... whatever that means. Can't wait to have them back and throw some 'dusty' microfiber cloths at them. This same company does the Maserati's cluster gauge faces coating so if its good for Maserati, it should be good for the SkyBreaker
Quick follow-up

SUCCESS! Received the 3 samples from the 'hardernizer' last Thursday morning and they are simply awesome. The stuff works.... hard and it does the job! No matter what you throw at it, the WD remains crystal clear No more silly polishing required. Also cleaned one with acetone and it didn't craze at all. Normally it take about 1 min and you see the PMMA fogging (acetone is harsh). This stuff is working to perfection.

$15 per coating/WD is the latest quote I received. Not the cheapest but there you go... it works and that's all what matters.

Feeling like a complete idiot lol I should have never assumed that everybody was a professional acrylic polisher - and should have look at this option before releasing the kit. My mistake. Good news is everyone who got the first gen will received a replacement WD window free of charge shortly (product recall lol)

I will be sending a whole lot of WD this coming weekend for hard coating and hoping to have them back before the end of this month. Unfortunately, Chinese New year is kicking in a week from now and that slows things down at the supplier's end. We'll get it done no worries.

I am happy to say with confidence that the SkyBreaker is now a high quality item! I'm tapping myself on the shoulder as I type this lol

ps. was told by the supplier that the coating on our SkyBreaker is the same as the coating used by pretty much all automakers (the chemical is made by Mitsubishi, there some trade secret for you). Used for automotive headlight lenses and other clear composites with irregular surfaces (gauges, face plates, tail lights, indicators, WD, etc).

Learning everyday!

Last edited by Nine8Six; 02-13-2015 at 08:37 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:02 AM   #413

Garage
Great! When can I order?
Old 02-13-2015, 09:22 AM   #414

Garage
Thanks for the update Fred, great info there.

Class act as usual and much appreciated!!

Old 02-13-2015, 01:44 PM   #415

Garage
For those of you reading this & on the fence, get off. This is a really fun little update & the quality is excellent - even before the new coating. If Fred is willing to sell more, my advice is to get on the list. I'm definitely looking forward to coming out of hibernation with this update. Thanks Fred.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:07 PM   #416

Whataguy this Fred!! It's fellow Porsche lovers/forum members/humans like you that make me feel proud to be a 986 owner and part of a community like this. I also love my Boxster all the much more. Thanks!
amitmishra4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 03:19 PM   #417

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitmishra4 View Post
Whataguy this Fred!! It's fellow Porsche lovers/forum members/humans like you that make me feel proud to be a 986 owner and part of a community like this. I also love my Boxster all the much more. Thanks!
well said !
Old 02-13-2015, 04:25 PM   #418
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkinfool View Post
For those of you reading this & on the fence, get off. This is a really fun little update & the quality is excellent - even before the new coating. If Fred is willing to sell more, my advice is to get on the list. I'm definitely looking forward to coming out of hibernation with this update. Thanks Fred.
Without question. This mod is about a 1.5 out of 10 for difficulty of installation and is a 10 of 10 for overall improvement in what it replaces. It really sets the car off.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:30 PM   #419
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Quick follow-up

.... Good news is everyone who got the first gen will received a replacement WD window free of charge shortly (product recall lol)

...Learning everyday!
So, I have read it a few times, but just to be sure: As a 'best-in-the-world Gen 1 WD' owner I don't have to do anything other than sit patiently and wait for an even better one to arrive?

I want to send more money.

I guess instead, I need to hurry up and order my Fred-lights before the end of the month....

Last edited by 78F350; 02-14-2015 at 12:31 AM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:17 AM   #420

Garage
Console switched power

My car will be in storage for a few more weeks but I'm planning ahead for my WD install.

After some googling I found a Rennlist thread showing a switched power supply that is easy to get at via the removable side panel of the console near the shifter. It is an unused open plug (possibly for phone charger?).

Curious if anyone has used this and whether it is switched from accessory position on the ignition or engine running. Seems like an easy way to power up the WD.

Thanks for any input/comments