Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2015, 05:34 AM   #361

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
You got some wicked vision/brain activity going on there my man. People like you are hired by intel & law enforcement agencies. Just saying

You got fooled by the position of the M3 screws. I've assembled Kevin's kit the other way around.... screws should face the car interior. Not that it matters but should be that way (a new rule lol). Easy flip around... keep for when you want to chg the LED for the other color (if you ever have too)

Kevin, stunning shot thanks man. High tech looking stuff... so far I think your WD is the best looking wind deflector in-the-world
My bad, it must be all the sunshine in California affecting my brain

Got my kit Fred thanks, will install next week after my return from my trip on the PCH (had to rub that in). There are a lot of things to hate about California but there are definitely a lot of things to LOVE in California.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:38 AM   #362

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate 01 View Post
There are a lot of things to hate about California but there are definitely a lot of things to LOVE in California.
Know what you mean about the LOVE! Brother in law is located in Santa Barbara Ynez side (event management$). We used to visit yearly, spending holidays but not too often anymore. The depression you get leaving this area to come back to Shanghai is (in one word) "brutal". Takes you about 3 months to recover mentally :/

Beside having to cut through smog to find my office door every morning, I also get to live up California daily with small imports

Old 01-30-2015, 10:10 AM   #363
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I'll get some better pictures once the temperature rises back above freezing

It shows up really well in daylight! Thanks Fred!

Old 01-30-2015, 11:46 AM   #364

Garage
For what it's worth, I put the switch/brightness control module in the storage cubby in my dash. I usually only use it for my phone or red clip, so there's still plenty of room. The unit is attached with a 3M Command Strip.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:30 PM   #365

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
it stopped raining so I tried to get a good shot
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 02:32 AM   #366

Product evolution

^ Niceee, I like. Thanks for sharing Martin!

Some of the latest development worth sharing with you guys:

Spoke to my pmma supplier this morning about maintenance, polishing techniques, recommended creams etc. I've also mentioned that some of my customers, who are new to pmma acrylic, aren't necessarily "pro" polishers. Also added that some of us couldn't afford developing polishing technique onto a LIVE part - how to fix that problem, this and that.... just catching up really.

Long story short, he introduced me to a company that specialized in composite hardening. Needless to add that I've called on them immediately after hanging up with him. Surprisingly, these guys specialize in clear acrylic & polycarbonate coatings for automotive parts and they have kindly accepted to take my account. I've already put two WD SkyBreakers in the express mail this afternoon for them to built a fixture for us (it's a dipping process, lamination is old school apparently). They'll do this over the coming week for us so I will have those back by latest this coming weekend.

They quoted us $18 for the coating process for 1 (one) SkyBreaker panel - regardless of the quantity (NOT cheap). How it works: I send them the pre-etched WDs, they coat them, send them back to me and I laser cut the profile of the Boxster WD shape as the final process. Sounds complicated but it's not.

The coating is extremely hard. You can rub your stainless steel watch on it and it just won't scratch at all, no more micro scratches, etc, nada - according to them (they mentioned crystal based coating something, I lost half of it). EXCELLENT but here is the catch; if you ever damage your WD (e.g. heavy object falling onto it, making a nasty mark/scratch), it will not be possible to repair using NOVUS or PlastX lol. Forget about #600 grit abrasive paper also... the coating is so hard any repair method simply won't work. Meaning, when coated, it's final - sealed for life.

So here is the deal:

Those who already have supported and purchased a SkyBreaker from me will be given the option to receive a FREE "coated" replacement WD having the same etch as per original order. However, not entirely free loll I will be charging you $20 shipping on the export (PMMA, etch job and hard coating on me).

Others who are waiting for a kit will be given the two following options:

Option 1: Kit with plain acrylic = $155 (requires maintenance, easy repair/polishing)
Option 2: Kit with plain acrylic + hard coating = $175 (no maintenance required, no crazing, chemical friendly, etc! but very hard to repair if not impossible)

Let me know what you guys think, what suits you best, any recommendation, etc

Help me to make this SkyBreaker Wind Deflector product the Best-in-the-World (in its real meaning this time)
Old 01-31-2015, 04:33 AM   #367
Beginner

Garage
I'm in!
Old 01-31-2015, 05:23 AM   #368
On the slippery slope

Garage
Fred, once again you go above and beyond!
You never fail to amaze us all
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 05:35 AM   #369

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
and beyond!
haven't invented any of that remember? Just pure and simple entertainment

Care to guess what that is?

Old 01-31-2015, 06:18 AM   #370

Garage
If it's Nine8Six Kool-Aid, sign me up!
Old 01-31-2015, 07:09 AM   #371

Garage
Hi Fred...I would definitely be interested in the new version WD with the coating. Still winter here for a while so I won't be doing my install any time soon.

Would you like a PM as confirmation? Thank you for additional research and kind offer to the early purchasers...first class as usual!
Old 01-31-2015, 07:15 AM   #372

Garage
Some installation pics

I decided to cut an oblong hole in the bottom of the frame for the wire:

Lining up the Nine8Six Skybreaker with the frame:

I milled a small channel in the bottom to accommodate the wire:

This is how the wire looks when installed; it of course can be pushed further into the seam between the roll bar pads:

I just used a rechargeable drill and a couple of different size drill bits. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:23 AM   #373

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Care to guess what that is?

HUD? Cool stuff. Oh, and count me in for the super hard one.

Tony

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2015, 07:45 AM   #374
Beginner

Garage
Just finished my install. Very nice DIY. I used the ashtray light which was very easy to access

First run the wires completely before tying them down. There is no right or wrong way

Then solder the wires, black goes to brown (-, ground, or earth for those in Europe)

I chose to pop a hole in my center console box. I didn't know ho wretched this picture was until I downloaded it, but there you are

The hole the power cable comes out of will eventually have a phone charger coming out of it, and Fred, I'd like to modify your power box (nice as it is) by relocating the pot resistor from the box to another spot. I'm thinking of mounting the new pot resistor inside the center console box so only a switch similar to the wiper delay switch shows and running wires to the PCB. Is there any reason that would not work?

And here is a picture with the ocean in the background. the weather isn't cooperating, but there is a cruise ship out the windscreen to make up for it.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:46 AM   #375

Niceeee pix, cool to see!
Old 01-31-2015, 08:06 AM   #376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
I'm thinking of mounting the new pot resistor inside the center console box so only a switch similar to the wiper delay switch shows and running wires to the PCB. Is there any reason that would not work?
You won't need to adjust the intensity quite often. Its one of those adjust-and-forget thing. More functional as a Power ON switch... in case you have a blank anywhere, that could go there easy.

Different leds emits different intensity. That was the reasoning behind the brightness controller really (one fits all). Amber might have to be set 50% , cold white at 25%, and red needs to be at 5% (red is the brightest of all). That's all that box does in all honesty. I'd just hide it somewhere - no use!
Old 01-31-2015, 11:01 AM   #377

Garage
"So here is the deal:

Those who already have supported and purchased a SkyBreaker from me will be given the option to receive a FREE "coated" replacement WD having the same etch as per original order. However, not entirely free loll I will be charging you $20 shipping on the export (PMMA, etch job and hard coating on me)."

Count me in Fred, sounds like a very reasonable way to spend $20!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:35 PM   #378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six;434028
Others who are waiting for a kit will be given the two following options:

[B
Option 1:[/B] Kit with plain acrylic = $155 (requires maintenance, easy repair/polishing)
Option 2: Kit with plain acrylic + hard coating = $175 (no maintenance required, no crazing, chemical friendly, etc! but very hard to repair if not impossible)

Let me know what you guys think, what suits you best, any recommendation, etc

Help me to make this SkyBreaker Wind Deflector product the Best-in-the-World (in its real meaning this time)
Hi Fred,

I'm still chomping at the bit waiting for that email that says you have stock so I can order and pay for one. I for one will be very happy to get the Option 2 kit with hard coating. Any idea yet on a possible time frame for the next batch? Not pushing mate just impatient little ol me lol. Thanks Fred
Old 01-31-2015, 06:53 PM   #379

Just wanted to add Fred, I reckon and have a feeling, I'll possibly have the first 986 in Melbourne with your SkyBreaker installed. Good advertising, I bet I get heaps of inquiries about it, and I'll direct them all to your website
Old 01-31-2015, 11:37 PM   #380

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote