Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2020, 07:48 AM   #1621

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
The diagrams Paul posted are not quite right...the first one is to turn the AE's off when headlights are on and the second was for a more specific application.
This is the flash to pass relay diagram if you have original halogen high bulbs:

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, sorry!

Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:50 AM   #1622
Custom User Title Here

Garage
No worries, Paul!

The second one would work, but I think Tony has the single throw relay. I’m not 100% sure either, I guess.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:01 AM   #1623

Garage
Quote:
IIRC, the LED AE ring is epoxied in, as well. It shouldn't be too hard to dig (dremel?) it out, though.

The AE on mine wasn't epoxied in. It was held in by the black retainer ring, which was epoxied to the lens that was epoxied to the aluminum base. The black ring and the lens were no longer epoxied so everything came out with no issues. We'll have to wait an see if the other one is like that too.

Quote:
Also, to remove the nut, try some heat. Get a small butane torch and heat the post so you don't damage the reflector bowl. Careful, now...

I used wd40 and a heat gun, I got it to the point where the WD40 was smoking, and still no go. What I'm going to do is unscrew the assembly (with the lens, AE, and the high beam iris) off the post and leave the post in there.

Tony
Old 11-16-2020, 03:34 PM   #1624

Recently inherited a water-damaged 986 and brought her back to life. Now getting the mod itch and just stumbled across this. A shame Im so late to such an awesome upgrade. If they ever come back in stock, add me to the list (or if any other members have a set theyre selling, let me know).
preppyr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 05:24 PM   #1625

Hey folks -- any thoughts about bolting the ballasts to the back of the light housing and having it live in the fender well?
beater986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 06:12 PM   #1626

Quote:
Originally Posted by beater986 View Post
Hey folks -- any thoughts about bolting the ballasts to the back of the light housing and having it live in the fender well?
That's the general consensus, it's in the pdf instructions and other posts within this thread. I's also what the factory did on the Litronic headlights.
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
Old 11-17-2020, 04:25 AM   #1627

Garage
I have a pair Particleweave converted for me. Some scratches on lens. I only track the car now so I want to sell.
Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 06:02 AM   #1628

Quote:
Originally Posted by preppyr6 View Post
Recently inherited a water-damaged 986 and brought her back to life. Now getting the mod itch and just stumbled across this. A shame Im so late to such an awesome upgrade. If they ever come back in stock, add me to the list (or if any other members have a set theyre selling, let me know).
If you're up for it you can also follow the basic instructions in this thread and make a similar pair of headlights using Bi-Xenon projectors like the Morimoto Mini. This is a pair I made last winter and then late this summer I finally got around to wet sanding, polishing and clear coating the outer lenses. I acquired a set of junk Litronics and some badly burned amber halogen lights. I used the Litronic reflector bowls and inner shrouds with the halogen housings. If you just use the halogen lights, you can get shrouds for the projectors similar to those Porsche uses on its current models.
Attached Images

Last edited by PaulE; 11-17-2020 at 06:08 AM.
Old 11-18-2020, 09:18 PM   #1629

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
That's the general consensus, it's in the pdf instructions and other posts within this thread. I's also what the factory did on the Litronic headlights.
Has anyone designed a mount for this yet?
beater986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 02:27 AM   #1630
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by beater986 View Post
Has anyone designed a mount for this yet?
No need. The ballasts always have at least one bolt hole for mounting. The headlight rear covers also have some unused bolt holes that just need to be drilled out. It’s all fairly self explanatory once you see it
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 02:08 PM   #1631

Quote:
If you're up for it you can also follow the basic instructions in this thread and make a similar pair of headlights using Bi-Xenon projectors like the Morimoto Mini. This is a pair I made last winter and then late this summer I finally got around to wet sanding, polishing and clear coating the outer lenses. I acquired a set of junk Litronics and some badly burned amber halogen lights. I used the Litronic reflector bowls and inner shrouds with the halogen housings. If you just use the halogen lights, you can get shrouds for the projectors similar to those Porsche uses on its current models.
That looks great. Im pretty handy so I may look into this further. Thanks!
Old 11-22-2020, 02:23 PM   #1632

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van914 View Post
I have a pair Particleweave converted for me. Some scratches on lens. I only track the car now so I want to sell.
Sent you a note on your profile
Old 02-17-2021, 07:55 AM   #1633

Garage
I was able to repair the light that came apart, and while I was in there, I removed the dead angel eye and replaced it with this:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CYV3CV4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The main difference is that it has a third wire that can power an amber set of LEDs. When voltage is applied to the third wire (to light the amber LEDs), a relay turns off the white LEDs until power is removed from the amber lights for a second. This allows it to flash the amber lights without the white lights coming until the flashing is done. I connected the amber lights to the turn signal light. When the turn signal is on, the amber flashes, when the turn signal is turned off, they white comes back. It looks really great. I went through the extra effort of applying a water proof coating on it. I'm in the process of doing the same thing to the other side as well (obviously).

Tony

Last edited by amagalla; 02-17-2021 at 08:24 AM.
amagalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 08:48 AM   #1634

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalla View Post
I was able to repair the light that came apart, and while I was in there, I removed the dead angel eye and replaced it with this:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CYV3CV4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The main difference is that it has a third wire that can power an amber set of LEDs. When voltage is applied to the third wire (to light the amber LEDs), a relay turns off the white LEDs until power is removed from the amber lights for a second. This allows it to flash the amber lights without the white lights coming until the flashing is done. I connected the amber lights to the turn signal light. When the turn signal is on, the amber flashes, when the turn signal is turned off, they white comes back. It looks really great. I went through the extra effort of applying a water proof coating on it. I'm in the process of doing the same thing to the other side as well (obviously).

Tony
Any chance of pictures and/or a video? Sounds interesting.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:03 AM   #1635

Garage
Next project is to re-polish the headlights.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9cgmrp4rp8xzul3/20210218_095003.mp4?dl=0
Old 03-01-2021, 03:28 PM   #1636

CGT light kit availability

Just stumbled on this and as a recent 986/996 convert and just discovering the HID ‘upgrade’ in my 2002 996 less than desirable looking to install an OEM quality /look product

These appear to be duks nuts military grade

How where when can I source a set for 2002
996 (RHD and also an equivalent upgrade for 1997 986 (silver red)

Cheers from Oz
micheloals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 06:05 AM   #1637

I'm resurrecting this thread to ask if anyone has an extra set of internal headlight lenses for the 1999-2000 996-style halogen headlights (1-piece internal lenses with a slot for the level indicator bar.) It appears @ParticleWave is no longer active on the forum, so I'm hoping someone else can help.

These are the style of internal lenses (luckily mine are not in this bad shape.)
Carlton Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 02:05 PM   #1638

I have one complete bucket with a pretty nice lens for the passenger side. It's got the tiniest start of a burn mark that is only perceptible from certain angles. This picture is probably the worst, I could take a picture from a different angle and you wouldn't see any burn at all. I don't know how to remove the lens from the bucket and don't want to try and possibly break it. A USPS Medium size Priority Mail box would fit and cost $16.10 to ship. If you want to pay for shipping via PayPal or Zelle and you could have it. Send me a PM. Honestly though, if you're going to the trouble of opening up the headlghts, why don't you convert them over to bi-xenon projectors with a quality set, like the Morimotos. Here is a picture of the lens-

Old 07-06-2022, 02:40 AM   #1639
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlton Bale View Post
I'm resurrecting this thread to ask if anyone has an extra set of internal headlight lenses for the 1999-2000 996-style halogen headlights (1-piece internal lenses with a slot for the level indicator bar.) It appears @ParticleWave is no longer active on the forum, so I'm hoping someone else can help.

These are the style of internal lenses (luckily mine are not in this bad shape.)
Not to derail the thread... but the name Particlewave struck me.

Does anyone reading this post have the install instructions for the SAI device he invented? Some of you will know what I'm talking about. If you could PM me those install instructions that'd be great. PW scrubbed all mention of the device's install. Thank you.
Old 07-06-2022, 07:25 AM   #1640

Quote:
Honestly though, if you're going to the trouble of opening up the headlghts, why don't you convert them over to bi-xenon projectors with a quality set, like the Morimotos.
I looked into the RetorfitLab.com projector upgrade, but I don't like the "black hole" that exists because the main reflector was removed. I prefer a more factory look with the silver reflector bowl in place. Is there another option that enables this?

If there's not a more factory-looking upgrade, I think my only options are to replace the burnt lens or switch to factory Litronics. I'm not too excited about either due to cost and complexity.

Last edited by Carlton Bale; 07-06-2022 at 07:30 AM.
Carlton Bale is offline   Reply With Quote