Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2020, 04:25 PM   #1601

Set of new Luminoso for sale

Bumping my own post here as I missed the replies later last year, the current lockdown giving me chance to catch up on lots of things.

If anyone is interested in these drop me a line or DM.

All the best,

Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandwhite View Post
Hi everyone. I thought I'd post up here before the facebook forums and other sites. I have an unused pair of these that I'm selling if anyone is interested.

I bought them from Fred back in 2015, but for one reason or another never got around to installing them. I've now sold the car and having a clear out.

They are Luminoso in anodised blue (which looks stunning), and have all the fitting gear exactly as received from Fred - never been unwrapped or handled other than for these pics.

Have a look at posts #951 to 953 in this thread for Fred's comments on the colour

blackandwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 09:28 AM   #1602

Hi Fred, Charles, I hope you're both good. I haven't done anything with my lights for a while. AE's are still disconnected after the talk of the issues, do I get the impression even putting a relay in is now not advisable? Am I better off using that wiring for a standard side/parking light bulb through the old main beam? I currently have a set of amber lights I put in the car for tests (UK) but I'd love to get the HID's capable of going through a test successfully, I would still like the facility to flash a main beam too, am I asking a lot? 😁
SmegHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 09:18 AM   #1603

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmegHead View Post
Hi Fred, Charles, I hope you're both good. I haven't done anything with my lights for a while. AE's are still disconnected after the talk of the issues, do I get the impression even putting a relay in is now not advisable? Am I better off using that wiring for a standard side/parking light bulb through the old main beam? I currently have a set of amber lights I put in the car for tests (UK) but I'd love to get the HID's capable of going through a test successfully, I would still like the facility to flash a main beam too, am I asking a lot? 😁
If you want to send me a message feel free. I had a set in my last Boxster and had no problems with the MOT let me know what your issues are.
Cheers
David
mavis.d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 01:02 AM   #1604

A while back, I bought an unused, parted-out Nine8Six headlight kit from a fellow Dutchman. Since the kit was already parted-out, it gave me an opportunity to modify a few things.

I used different angel eyes; 85mm SMD3014-led, 6.000k, with automatic dimming function (when lowbeams are turned on) :

Glued the lens and angel eyes using JB Weld and I added spacers between the reflector and lens holder (for extra security in case the glue fails and to get the lens perfectly mounted into the shroud) :

Shimmed the bulb (more about this here) to get the hotspot exactly centered:

Testing and levelling:

Next and final step: clean and seal the headlights..
Evan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 03:38 PM   #1605

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan_S View Post
Testing and levelling:

Next and final step: clean and seal the headlights..
Hi Evan

Impressed to see how you've managed this, all great ideas in my opinion, good work. If I may add; the car front-end already looks killer, must be that triple black Anxious to see the final result, let us have a look when completed.

Old 05-04-2020, 03:27 PM   #1606

Hi Fred, glad to see you are back in action, hope all is well!
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 04:21 PM   #1607
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Hey Fred welcome back again. Big Jake is back as well. I wonder who is next? Could be Johnny Danger of Maybe Johnathan Landa.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 11:27 PM   #1608

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Hi Evan

Impressed to see how you've managed this, all great ideas in my opinion, good work. If I may add; the car front-end already looks killer, must be that triple black Anxious to see the final result, let us have a look when completed.

Thanx!

Will do, headlight are currently at the paintshop for a fresh clearcoat.
Old 05-05-2020, 06:36 AM   #1609
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
Maybe Johnathan Landa.
I was having a good morning until this post.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:35 AM   #1610

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Anxious to see the final result, let us have a look when completed.
As promised, a few pics:

I'm very happy with the final result and already got a lot of compliments on 'em!

Last little detail was adding a flash-to-pass relay (with a little help from a post earlier in this topic )
Old 06-29-2020, 07:37 AM   #1611

Looks great!
2015 Ninja 300
TTGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 08:20 PM   #1612

Garage
I need some help here. I have a set of these lights that I installed in 2015. Now I have a couple of issues with them. First is that the angel eyes don't work anymore. How do I go about testing to see what has gone wrong? Second, the lens in one of them has come unglued. I know that Fred initially used a high temp epoxy when he built them. What should I use to reattach the lens?

Thanks.

Tony
Old 11-04-2020, 01:14 PM   #1613
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalla View Post
I need some help here. I have a set of these lights that I installed in 2015. Now I have a couple of issues with them. First is that the angel eyes don't work anymore. How do I go about testing to see what has gone wrong? Second, the lens in one of them has come unglued. I know that Fred initially used a high temp epoxy when he built them. What should I use to reattach the lens?

Thanks.

Tony
JB Weld is what I use to reattach lenses...carefully. You don’t want to see it.
Several years after many repairs, I can say it is far superior to the original epoxy, it’s just not clear.
Not a dig at Fred, just what it is.

Your AE’s are dead. Mourn them, then move on.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 01:26 PM   #1614

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
JB Weld is what I use to reattach lenses...carefully. You don’t want to see it.
Several years after many repairs, I can say it is far superior to the original epoxy, it’s just not clear.
Not a dig at Fred, just what it is.

Your AE’s are dead. Mourn them, then move on.
Well, if I have to take that stupid thing apart to reattach the lens, I might as well fix the AE at the same time. My real problem now is looking at the factory wiring, all the jacket is peeling away from the wire on the original wiring. I think I'm going to have to rewire the factory plugs. What a pain.

Tony
Old 11-04-2020, 01:27 PM   #1615

Garage
BTW...do you happen to have the "flash to pass" relay diagram?

Tony
Old 11-04-2020, 04:21 PM   #1616

Quote:

Tony
These are the flash to pass relay diagrams. They are somewhere in the 81 pages of this thread but I happened to have saved it. I was in the same boat as you with the Angel Eyes last year. They start to burn out and flicker. They are epoxied into the inside of the shroud, and looked impossible to get out without ruining the shroud, so I just deactivated them by cutting the wires to them and reactivating my parking lights. You will see what I mean when you take yours apart.

I also had to re-glue one of the lenses in my projectors. I found that a clean, empty Progresso soup can was the perfect diameter for resting the shroud in face down after carefully gluing in the lens so that it could cure with the lens in the correct position.

For the cracked and falling off insulation, I found that clear flexible heat shrink tubing and heat shrink butt connectors with solder and new sections of wire did the trick for me on a spare set of headlights I built up over last winter. Good luck!

Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
Old 11-09-2020, 01:21 PM   #1617

Garage
anyone know the size and tread pattern of the nut on the back of the stalk that holds the light in the housing? I have to repair my lens and this is proving impossible to get off.

Tony
Old 11-09-2020, 06:00 PM   #1618

Quote:
anyone know the size and tread pattern of the nut on the back of the stalk that holds the light in the housing? I have to repair my lens and this is proving impossible to get off.

Tony
The serrated nut circled in blue? After removing the bulb, you should be able to get a pair of pliers or channel locks on it and loosen it.

Old 11-09-2020, 08:15 PM   #1619

Garage
Yep that's the one. It's stuck on, but good. I think I got some rtv on it or something because it will not move.

Tony
Old 11-12-2020, 06:59 AM   #1620
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Well, if I have to take that stupid thing apart to reattach the lens, I might as well fix the AE at the same time. My real problem now is looking at the factory wiring, all the jacket is peeling away from the wire on the original wiring. I think I'm going to have to rewire the factory plugs. What a pain.

Tony
IIRC, the LED AE ring is epoxied in, as well. It shouldn't be too hard to dig (dremel?) it out, though.

Quote:

Tony
The diagrams Paul posted are not quite right...the first one is to turn the AE's off when headlights are on and the second was for a more specific application.
This is the flash to pass relay diagram if you have original halogen high bulbs:

Also, to remove the nut, try some heat. Get a small butane torch and heat the post so you don't damage the reflector bowl. Careful, now...

Last edited by particlewave; 11-12-2020 at 07:01 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote