Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2017, 06:19 PM   #1401
Project Addicted

How does one acquire a set of these for their Box??

1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:52 PM   #1402
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Thanks Charles, I'm looking forward to the instructions
The post below shows the wiring. This one shows a full size automotive relay, but the principle and wiring is exactly the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
LEDs don't like heat. The LED angel eye halos are inside of the projector unit with the HID bulb, so you really don't want them powered on while the HIDs are on.

It is wise to put them on a relay so that they are off when the HIDs are on. This will greatly extend their life and prevent premature failure. Wiring shown below...

Last edited by particlewave; 01-15-2017 at 08:11 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:43 PM   #1403

Kudos to Particlewave (and Bruce!!). I'm confident ppl who wish to DIY will find this useful.

In a meantime, (Jon & all) I have warmed my wife Helen that I will soon resume my nocturnal working operations at the shop shortly after Chinese New Year (2 weeks from now). Plan is to get a few kits ready before spring. Hopefully I will have regained access to at least one of my two cars by then (wife have been hiding the car keys from me since October).

However, chances that the new crop of projectors comes with angel eyes is very slim. Possibly close to none. However they will remain bi-xenon and be better than before.

Thanks to Kevin, Paul and Rick for the kind words. Sincerely hope you guys are doing great on your sides there. Keep it up!
Old 01-16-2017, 07:32 AM   #1404

Garage
Charles, the relay you linked to has 5 pins on it, I assume it will be easy to figure it out once they arrive? How are you connecting the wires to the relay? Soldering or a spade connector? Thanks for your help.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:29 AM   #1405
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Charles, the relay you linked to has 5 pins on it, I assume it will be easy to figure it out once they arrive? How are you connecting the wires to the relay? Soldering or a spade connector? Thanks for your help.
I solder the wires on. The relay has 2 pins on one side and 3 on the other. The 2 pins are the coil and are connected to the low beam (red and black, polarity doesn't matter). The 3 pins are the contacts. I'll have to look to see which is which and report back, but you could easily determine that with a multimeter or even a test light.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:33 AM   #1406

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
I solder the wires on. The relay has 2 pins on one side and 3 on the other. The 2 pins are the coil and are connected to the low beam (red and black, polarity doesn't matter). The 3 pins are the contacts. I'll have to look to see which is which and report back, but you could easily determine that with a multimeter or even a test light.
Ok, thanks
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 01-26-2017, 11:47 PM   #1407

Any chance these are available again?
joshstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:28 AM   #1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshstix View Post
Any chance these are available again?
Hi Josh,

I'm putting the shop back into operation right after Chinese New Year. However it is very unlikely that the new batch will be manufactured to accommodate LED Angel Eyes. If this is okay with you then I think I can slip you in the next batch (got 4 other fellas here waiting, with you 5 if you are in).

Let me know what you need and I'll get those ready for you hopefully before your autumn kicks in.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:34 AM   #1409

Why are the angel eyes no longer an option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Hi Josh,

I'm putting the shop back into operation right after Chinese New Year. However it is very unlikely that the new batch will be manufactured to accommodate LED Angel Eyes. If this is okay with you then I think I can slip you in the next batch (got 4 other fellas here waiting, with you 5 if you are in).

Let me know what you need and I'll get those ready for you hopefully before your autumn kicks in.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:01 PM   #1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by batshapedheart View Post
Why are the angel eyes no longer an option?
Because I'm Out of Stock

Seriously. Those angel eyes have somehow managed to upgrade themselves to a single point of failure (SPOF). In the sense that some fellas 'occasionally' buy these projectors simply because they have angel eyes. That is all fine, nothing wrong there. The problem comes if/when one or more AE fail. The product is therefore discredited. Hence the word 'single' in point of failure. And my responsibility is to quickly eliminate this - if you want to hear the real reason bud.

I already hear you say "but-but-but source better and engineer smarter", which is fair enough, however the truth is whether LED comes from China or Golden Country, kept cooled or not, they remain what they are, a risk. A risk which is not directly linked to the core functionality of the kit.

I'd like to focus on what these kits really are (i.e. the original concept) which was: "A quick and affordable way to modernize the look of your Porsche Boxster (or 911) while providing better light distribution over stock halogen". That is exactly what started the idea and I desperately want to go back to it. Hell, you even get a fully personalized laser script in the package lolll

Beside simplify the design, next step really is to find effective ways to make them available to everyone. To the guys with and without DIY experience. Whether this involve getting a custom BOSCH headlight-housing harness professionally designed, HD video productions of installation procedures, or both, this is what I'll need to work hard on instead. Not wasting any more time to find creative ways to make them look cool'er.

They are already super duper cool!
Old 01-27-2017, 12:24 PM   #1411
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I agree with axing the angel eyes.

The bottom line is that things fail and Fred has no control over manufacturers quality control, nor the running conditions that buyers of the kit put them through. They look cool, but have the potential to put a blemish on these beautiful projectors and Fred's hard work.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:52 PM   #1412

It might be nice to retain the ae machined holes in the bezels.....if desired. Beautiful cooling vents...
Old 01-27-2017, 06:09 PM   #1413

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
It might be nice to retain the ae machined holes in the bezels.....if desired. Beautiful cooling vents...
That's what I figured when I got the LED's. I figured if they died, I still like the look of the holes
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 01-27-2017, 06:57 PM   #1414
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Yes I agree love the look of the holes with or without the angel eyes
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:24 PM   #1415

Garage
Looks great unlit

And of course lit

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 01-27-2017, 10:22 PM   #1416

I'm actually kind of excited these may be available without the angel eyes. Fred, if not a hassle, can I see a mock up of what your newer Vivo style would look like without the angel eye holes?

I'm most interested in a silver, which would pay homeage to the period-correct, factory litronic highly reflective chrome finished look. (Maybe polished aluminum with clear anodize on all the visible pieces, if you can do that?)

(Really beautiful design and machine work, by the way!)

Follow-up question: do BruceH's and CraigM's projectors have a silver rear sleeve, or black?

Last edited by jakeru; 01-27-2017 at 10:58 PM.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 02:13 AM   #1417

Quote:
Looks great unlit
Bloody hell, those are seriously nice pics. Hope you don't mind me saving those in my Best Pics folder

Thanks Captain, sincerely grateful for those

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeru View Post
Fred, if not a hassle, can I see a mock up of what your newer Vivo style would look like without the angel eye holes?
Jake, not a hassle at all bud. I'll get those rendered and published here for us to see and judge what's the best way forward. The VIVO will look amazing without the holes, kinda tactical looking (i.e. serious look).

Let's see, give me a few days for those to come out

Last edited by Nine8Six; 01-28-2017 at 02:27 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:45 AM   #1418

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeru View Post
Follow-up question: do BruceH's and CraigM's projectors have a silver rear sleeve, or black?
Mine is the stock silver, no black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Bloody hell, those are seriously nice pics. Hope you don't mind me saving those in my Best Pics folder

Thanks Captain, sincerely grateful for those
No problem Fred, it is your outstanding work!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 01-28-2017, 11:00 PM   #1419

Unfortunately my X5 blew up on the way home from my fathers 60th so looks like my car budget is spoken for, for the next little while.
joshstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 01:34 AM   #1420

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshstix View Post
Unfortunately my X5 blew up on the way home from my fathers 60th so looks like my car budget is spoken for, for the next little while.
Crap, sorry to hear bud. Hope it can all be fixed. You know where to find us if there is anything we can help with. RE headlights, chances they'll still be available on your father's 70th so no worries on that.

Happy Birthday to dad