Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2016, 12:45 PM   #1141
On the slippery slope

Garage
Since the gunmetal is a little different color from the silver wheels, I am thinking black for me. If I don't like the look with my silver wheels, Ill put them on my 996 that has black wheels

2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:53 PM   #1142

Garage
OK Fred, I give. I need a set. What would you recommend for an Arctic Silver S?
Old 01-19-2016, 04:30 PM   #1143

Bfan, emore93, jpc763, thatguychad, seen your msg on the previous page guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintro11 View Post
Hey Fred have you ever tried those wheel lug covers? I see a lot of eBay might be worth trying out with the center cap
Yea I did saw them once or twice on eBay at some stage. I think they are a must if your lug bolts are having that old look I actually got caps in black and guess what's under them? Spanking shinny new titanium bolts... those we've machined two years ago for the club here. Hiding this behind 'plastic' go figure! In my case I have no choice with black wheels... but guessing its not much of an issue with silver wheels (given your bolts are brand new or well taken care of).

Tip; guys here fill them with grease, prevents the bolt from rusting inside that plastic and makes it easier to pop off when needed apparently. Just sharing, tough it was a pretty neat trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Since the gunmetal is a little different color from the silver wheels, I am thinking black for me. If I don't like the look with my silver wheels, Ill put them on my 996 that has black wheels
Black on silver is a huge No-Go bud. Seen it. From 25 feet away it looks as if the the wheel has a huge black hole in the middle with a twisted copper bolt in the middle. Doesn't work. Those Black caps goes on black wheels only and look absolutely sick (my fav if you ask me).

Did that visual below for you mate. The gunmetal tone is right between the wheel metallic silver and your tire black color. Simply can't go wrong, perfectly balanced and the best looking setup for silver wheel, period. Not asking you to believe me, you do what you want The other nice looking one is the red. (just sharing my taste, I could be off world-miles from the reality who knows loll)

GTCollection.com - CGT Style Center Caps Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc2050 View Post
OK Fred, I give. I need a set. What would you recommend for an Arctic Silver S?
I was actually wondering what took you so long Kevin lolll RE choice, YOU get to chose mate! Take your time and let me know if you need to see any particular color combo. Hope all is well with you bro (ps: OT; I bought the new GH4, Sigma F2.8 lens with the Speedbooster, I'll shoot some vid of the shop soon, you'll freak out and very possibly run to the store to get the same kit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbray View Post
Hi Fred, What front bumper do you have?
Thanks.
Guessing your making ref to the red car on the previous page, if the case then that car has the gt2 front bumper with a carbon lip thingy. Great at catching street garbage, flying bags and cigarette butts. Other than that, the car performs incredibly well at high speed (windy days literally goes unnoticed). Feels just like a go-kart on rails. Pretty happy about it. Recommend

Show you. Hope you don't mind me painting the page red :/ it is red. very very red. Offending red some says here

Porsche Boxster 986 modified

Also found this one... more red! Now that is the very first GTProjector kit installed (prototype). Might not be as cool as the other guys' projectors here but the kit is still running strong today. Keep forcing myself to install a set of Luminoso but just can't find a valid reason, yet anyway (lazy might be the issue also)

Porsche Boxster 986 bi-xenon MKI

Last edited by Nine8Six; 01-19-2016 at 04:48 PM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:31 PM   #1144

Deleted. dbl post

Last edited by Nine8Six; 01-19-2016 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:10 PM   #1145

Quote:
Hi Fred, What front bumper do you have?
Thanks.
I actually meant the Grey Dwight Boxster - if it ain't a real bumper then it should be - very similar to stock but just a bit deeper & and flatter!
njbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:32 PM   #1146
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post

Did that visual below for you mate. The gunmetal tone is right between the wheel metallic silver and your tire black color. Simply can't go wrong, perfectly balanced and the best looking setup for silver wheel, period. Not asking you to believe me, you do what you want The other nice looking one is the red. (just sharing my taste, I could be off world-miles from the reality who knows loll)

GTCollection.com - CGT Style Center Caps Gunmetal

Gunmetal it is then. It does look good!
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:34 PM   #1147

Quote:
the Grey Dwight Boxster - if it ain't a real bumper then it should be
Dwight's is a fully solid modeled boxster car (body & interior). Renderings and light physics are processed using a pretty neat nvidia VCA blade system that I've gently nicked from the office.... until they need it and ask for it again lolll

Body panels are fun-easy to spline and model however, molds are another thing :/ I should model a few and send those IGS source files down south to DongGuan (capital of the world for composite car panel mfg) and get modern panels done indeed (the market for those is dreadful boring if you ask me). Problem is time.

I'm on the look-up for a super-machine to manufacture 36hrs our of 24. If you happen to find, I'm a buyer
Old 01-20-2016, 01:30 PM   #1148

Quote:
Dwight's is a fully solid modeled boxster car (body & interior). Renderings and light physics are processed using a pretty neat nvidia VCA blade system that I've gently nicked from the office.... until they need it and ask for it again lolll
I'm glad to hear that it's a render, my car can't possibly achieve that level of beauty, so I don't have to try.

And thanks for the gunmetal on silver wheels image, it confirms my original statement but at the same time, makes the choice of which to put on my car difficult. Can't wait!
thatguychad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:14 AM   #1149

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguychad View Post
I'm glad to hear that it's a render, my car can't possibly achieve that level of beauty, so I don't have to try.

And thanks for the gunmetal on silver wheels image, it confirms my original statement but at the same time, makes the choice of which to put on my car difficult. Can't wait!
Beauty comes out twice a year here. After a good wash and detailing job that, I won’t lie, takes a full weekend :/ Done twice per year so not too demanding! I am certainly happy I do not have to wash my collection of virtual boxster cars

GTCollection.com - Boxster lineup

Renderings: Yes – new renderings, that’s right! Thanks to my colleague Angie for teaching me all about (pro)rendering techniques lately. I even have access to Snap-On tool-like quality equipment from her dept!!! VCA blade… I couldn’t do any of these renderings (e.g without grainy noise) using a single workstation/gpu so pretty grateful for that too. A pic of that size (1920x) would take minimum 12-18hrs to process without a trace of noise. and even so… I think it would still be deadly visible. So yea, lucky lucky

It was frustrating. I can’t count how many times I had serious car builders (twice from a well-known car design shop) asking me whether a particular bezel shape or color would look nice(er) with a particular custom car color + “got any pics?!” (arrggh). I just couldn’t deliver nor answer these questions in an honest fashion way so I had to throw the totally meaningless and unhelpful “based on luck mate” response every time. So hopefully renderings should solve this lack-of-visual problem in the future.

Side note: All of the vehicle you see are equipped with a fully functional bi-xenon projector assembly and are capable of simulating light output (in lumens or watts). Excellent to compare light distribution & patterns. Kelvins (temp) can also be scaled. So questions such as “what would a pink boxster with Vivo projectors burning purple’ish 8,000k xenon look like facing south at 18:30?” can now be answered fairly accurately (95% visually accurate as per software’s vendor spec desc).

So there we are, we the board have a fully modeled boxster car (also have the 996 coming) and a fairly accurate visualization system in place. All good fun. Hope this will help a few fellas here to make final decisions color-wise, as much as it will help others such as Charles and myself to EXTERMINATE THE OLD HALLOGEN TECH!!!

Enjoy.

GTCollection.com - Optic and bi-xenon assembly

GTCollection.com - Optic and bi-xenon solid model

GTCollection.com - Hallogen vs Projectors

^ I’ve kept one of the boxster onto halogen with the main reflector 100% chrome reflective and a clear & textured glass diffuser in front of a bulb (as per original factory design). It was initially meant at promoting “Before & After” pictures but I quickly dropped the idea, pretty pointless. I think we can see the dramatic change that projectors brings to the car without a before and after pic! Interestingly enough, it did not stop me from testing light physics with both systems fully modeled. Judge the results by yourself. I see a whole lot of light being lost on the huge and old tech halogen reflector while the light is distributed sharply using a projection system. All very non-scientific but still very interesting results!

Last edited by Nine8Six; 01-21-2016 at 04:51 AM. Reason: Spl: Halogen, not HALLogen. Thanks for the correction, Patrick
Old 01-21-2016, 06:43 AM   #1150

Quote:
So questions such as “what would a pink boxster with Vivo projectors burning purple’ish 8,000k xenon look like facing south at 18:30?” can now be answered fairly accurately (95% visually accurate as per software’s vendor spec desc).
I scrolled and scrolled, but I don't see an answer!

Quote:
So there we are, we the board have a fully modeled boxster car (also have the 996 coming) and a fairly accurate visualization system in place. All good fun. Hope this will help a few fellas here to make final decisions color-wise, as much as it will help others such as Charles and myself to EXTERMINATE THE OLD HALLOGEN TECH!!!
The tech nerd in me loves these details, thanks for giving us insight! How long does it take to render the 1920 px images on your blade vs the single workstation at 12-18 hours?

Also, thanks to your silver/gunmetal render, my gf has now made the decision for me. Before the render, she told me how stupid they were. After the render, she insists that she gets the gunmetal for the silver wheels on her Dark Teal Metallic '03 S.

Last edited by thatguychad; 01-21-2016 at 06:49 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:22 AM   #1151

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguychad View Post
The tech nerd in me loves these details, thanks for giving us insight! How long does it take to render the 1920 px images on your blade vs the single workstation at 12-18 hours?
Iray VCA from nvidia. Hmmmm ....think its real/real-time bud lolll. Plugs right inside Catia (3Dmax, Rhino, also I think, whataever you guys use there). Think the old gigabit fibre network I have here at home is not even enought to push data to the gpus. Locks up occasionally in ray tracing mode but never crashes. Look it up (its everywhere, youtube, etc). Cheap cheap... 8GPUs (base), 20k cores, think we paid US$62,000 after tax and training (caught)

Was thinking about buying 10 at that price Of course One for you and your GF as a token of appreciation for your kind support!

tc

Last edited by Nine8Six; 01-21-2016 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:54 PM   #1152

Thought I’d upload something new.

Woke up early and rigged up a small vid comp to show how it’s done on the CAM side of things. This is the CNC lathe that I’ll be using for the operation #1 for the center caps. It’s actually only the boring operation (25% of the entire machining process).

This is NO toy. “True NC simulation” like these are an essential sign-off process before uploading live NC Code to the actual physical machine controller. That 2 tons lathe (that I’ll eventually video) is worth $33k (RMB200,000) and was custom ordered, or adapted/built for the parts that I normally need it most for, if you prefer. Not as expansive as my mate’s quarter-million$ slant bed lathe but regardless of the price the very last thing you want to do to any machine tool is to “crash it”. A crash while a lathe spins @5,000 RPM is actually not beautiful at all in any cases lollll. This is where a true nc simulation comes as mandatory and a priority. No sim/collision report = no prod. Simple as that.

The sim machine in the video is in fact an exact reproduction of the actual physical machine (tolerance and scale-wise). I’m only showing the automated parts and chuck for the demo but removed the surrounding cabinet and headstock so you guys can actually see a 360degree of the operations (the moving ones anyway). So you are getting the exact same view as I do when I program the CAM work on my parts.

Gives you an idea…. and different from ‘static’ renderings I’ll upload more along with some of the real machines brutally cutting metal from time to time. Hope you’ll enjoy those as much as I do here

[Best Viewed Full HD 1080p)
Old 01-22-2016, 08:31 PM   #1153

Wicked stuff.....things have come a long way from laying down tool paths on a $50K CATIA work station
Old 01-22-2016, 08:58 PM   #1154

Very cool video, the tool turret is nifty!
Old 01-22-2016, 09:06 PM   #1155

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Wicked stuff.....things have come a long way from laying down tool paths on a $50K CATIA work station
J - above vid is a full blown license of "Siemens NX10" with MR3 + CAM + Simulation package. Technically the same solution your Boxster car and all other Porsche cars were engineered onto. This NX license, a NC lathe and a (wicked) High Speed 4axis Vertical Machining Center all with 'nano precision' controllers were part of the main investment for my shop (back in July 2015). I'm not only designing or manufacturing $300 projectors no worries mate lollll

NX is dead raw parasolid. The grand daddy of all other mechanical engineer software that you hear about. Sure makes Solidworks and other look like comic books. Certainly not cheap but worth it on the 'long' run (2 years and its paid for as per business plan)

German Rottweilers (2), German watches, German cars, and German automation, systems, controllers & software. The only thing I don't do German is their food loll

ps: Catia's workstation is not mine, owned by my current employer (day job). And its not $50k... much much less than that mate The Catia licenses are attributed to the girls where we work loll (we like to refer to it as such!)
Old 01-23-2016, 02:19 AM   #1156

Hey Fred I think I remember you saying at one point that you had some silicone ( ? ) headlight gaskets made ? The guy I was working with apparently gave up and won't return my emails for the past 6 months . I am now finally ready to install the headlights I bought over a year ago but with my luck the old OEM gaskets will be toast.
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 05:15 AM   #1157

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
Hey Fred I think I remember you saying at one point that you had some silicone ( ? ) headlight gaskets made ? The guy I was working with apparently gave up and won't return my emails for the past 6 months . I am now finally ready to install the headlights I bought over a year ago but with my luck the old OEM gaskets will be toast.
I'd certainly buy a few sets too.
CHRISP357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 05:58 AM   #1158

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
You can’t be serious I was sure you’ve passed these lights over to someone else at the end. What a surprise

If I were you I’d first dbl-check with your friend and engine builder Jake Raby. You my friend have simply no single chance he will allow you to install “any sort” of aftermarket kit on the The Beast my man, sorry to say. I don’t think you are even allowed to use Mobil’s or Castrol’s 5W40 products also, ever. Even when it goes on sale at $2.99/gal at Walmart…. big No No for you and I can understand why. (Can’t wait to see a vid of this car btw, read it rev & sounds like a Ferrari).

If you want to blow up “The Beast”, fry its ECU, melt all of its wiring, burn the clutch, or possibly worst…. get your car impounded by your local dept of transport, go ahead and install those superb bi-xenon headlights. You have been warned

RE rubber seals; those are okay to install on The Beast however. I think he would approve that. I’ll check with Mr Yong here to see if he would be happy to crack on with the manufacturing. Wow its been a year already. Last time I’ve been asked to pre-pay for 500x pairs (his newly established min order loll) but given he quoted them $1 each that could worth looking into again. I’ll update if there is anything positive coming out of this.

Last edited by Nine8Six; 01-23-2016 at 06:02 AM.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:32 AM   #1159

Quote:
You can’t be serious I was sure you’ve passed these lights over to someone else at the end. What a surprise

If I were you I’d first dbl-check with your friend and engine builder Jake Raby. You my friend have simply no single chance he will allow you to install “any sort” of aftermarket kit on the The Beast my man, sorry to say. I don’t think you are even allowed to use Mobil’s or Castrol’s 5W40 products also, ever. Even when it goes on sale at $2.99/gal at Walmart…. big No No for you and I can understand why. (Can’t wait to see a vid of this car btw, read it rev & sounds like a Ferrari).

If you want to blow up “The Beast”, fry its ECU, melt all of its wiring, burn the clutch, or possibly worst…. get your car impounded by your local dept of transport, go ahead and install those superb bi-xenon headlights. You have been warned

RE rubber seals; those are okay to install on The Beast however. I think he would approve that. I’ll check with Mr Yong here to see if he would be happy to crack on with the manufacturing. Wow its been a year already. Last time I’ve been asked to pre-pay for 500x pairs (his newly established min order loll) but given he quoted them $1 each that could worth looking into again. I’ll update if there is anything positive coming out of this.
I will be happy to forward as much of that $500 as we need to get these seals done.
CHRISP357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:16 AM   #1160

Quote:

Ummmmm........all I was asking about was two headlight gaskets what's with the commentary ????? And why would I have passed on your headlights they are well made and thought out. Oh well I guess I don't get the joke or intent. Thanks for your time.

2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote