Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2009, 10:21 PM   #21

sounds awesome.. i got to do this mod.. I am just afraid that i am going to run into a problem since my exhaust tip is welded on and I won't be able to get the right angle with the drill bit. The extra long drill bit might work but not sure..

Last edited by clb0099; 03-04-2009 at 10:26 PM.
clb0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:34 PM   #22

I propose that Crios gets to name this mod - all cool mods have catchy names that sounds better than "I drilled two holes in my muffler."

Suggestions:

Crios Bilateral Exhaust (CBE) mod
Center Baffle Bypass mod
CTA exhaust mod (cheaper than aftermarket)

Others?
sd_boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:01 AM   #23

CDM Crios Drillout Method

SD, this is a WONDERFUL idea! I'm so glad you thought of it. Crios deserves to go down in history as the guy who came up with a totally cheap and easy way to make a factory muffler sound better without removing much of anything to do it.

I may just try it on my non-S muffler.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:41 PM   #24

LOL, I guess I better start writing that speech for this year's Porsche Parade in Colorado. :dance:

Thanks guys! Just keep mod'ing and sharing!!!

03' 986 Midnight Blue Metallic
Light Weight Flywheel | Tinted Windows and Windscreen
Painted Bumperettes | 550 Spyder Grille Kit

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_9sTq_sN1KDw/Si...2009%20055.jpg
crios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:59 AM   #25

last night i had a chance to listen to sd_boxster's car in person.

I took some quick videos of the sound and when time permits I'lll try to upload them. I have to say the sound was pretty good. I would descibe the actual sound as being almost the same as stock in the WAY it sounds, just louder.

I've heard online/youtube clips of aftermarket exhausts, and some of the pedro systems and the sound of the car is "different". some of the pedro exhausts have what I would categorize as a "raspy" sound at higher rpm.

sd_boxsters car did not sound raspy at all. I got a chance to take a quick spin in his car, both with the top up and down. I never heard ANY resonance. When the top was up, I honestly had a hard time telling that the exhaust was ANY louder than stock while we were just cruising.

if you are outside of the car while the throttle is blipped, or the top is down and the car revved up toward redline, ,then there was a noticeably increase in the sound - but again, I'd say it was similar in overall sound to stock, just maybe 20% louder.

i like this because I honestly like how the boxster sounds, I just think it would be great if it was a bit louder.

I could tell it was louder and sounded better but it was NOT objectionable. You will not get dirty looks from the neighbors, and this would easily pass the all important "wife" test. I am almost certain my wife would not complain about this exhaust - which many of you will understand / appreciate.

I am now VERY tempted to try this on my car. I was staring up my exhasut pipe wondering how long of a drill bit I am going to need...as I have the older style welded on tip - it won't be quite as easy, but I still thinkI can do it. I can see the exhaust pipes inside there, I just need to figure out how far/how long of a drill bit I'd need and exactly what angle.

does anyone know if there is any difference internall between a 2000 muffler and the 2003 mufflers that are on crios' and sd_boxster's cars???

Last edited by 23109VC; 03-08-2009 at 12:09 PM.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:37 PM   #26

I am in the same problem as it would be a different angle to drill the muffler since i have the welded tips even with the extra long drill bit.. i have a little torch do you think it would be easier to just remove the tip and the re-weld it. and could i just screw the tip back on instead of welding it back?
Old 03-08-2009, 02:15 PM   #27

Just wondering if there are any HP, Torque gains, or losses from this mod....Keep in mind the internal bafflings are there NOT just for sound but to promote efficient backpressure for optimum HP gains...Probably ask Mr. Raby to do some study on this mod.
spine911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:12 PM   #28

i'd be suprised if two little holes make a whopping difference in back pressure - sufficient to lose power. i think the little holes just let enough extra sound out to make it "noticeable"....

but what do I know... I'd love to hear from an "expert" if any of these "DIY" exhaust mods add or lose power - my guess is that they do nothing detectible except make nice sound.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:27 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb0099
I am in the same problem as it would be a different angle to drill the muffler since i have the welded tips even with the extra long drill bit.. i have a little torch do you think it would be easier to just remove the tip and the re-weld it. and could i just screw the tip back on instead of welding it back?
clb0099-

i am in the same boat as you - I have a welded on muffler. on the cars with the welded on oval tip - if you look *WAY* deep inside the tip - you can see that there are actually TWO separate tubes that essentially join together at the tip - if you look at the picture that crios posted - of the muffler which is opened up /cutaway - you see two distinct internal tubes - and at the exit where they turn into tip s- there is at least an inch or two of space between them - hence he drilled toward the center of the tips - but on OUR Mufflers, there is NO space in beteween those tips.

if you drill "inward" like he did you just drill into the other tube...and it won't work.

i am tempted to drill the opposite direction - OR just drill straight back. i can actually see the "bend" in the back of my tip.... if you shine a flashlight straight back, you can see the tube bend toward the outer portions of themuffler... much in the same way that the cutaway picture shows...it's just that they start much closer together..so you can't drill inward...you need to either drill upward, outward, or just drill in the very back and punch through that way.

i have a very very long drill bit - almost 12" long and it easily reaches that back portion.

i'm very tempted to just start drilling right now.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:52 PM   #30

Do it! That's what I did.

Installed headers today. Wow - it is MUCH louder. Wonder how the wife is going to feel about this.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:38 PM   #31

what kind of headers?.. the ones from ebay?
Old 03-08-2009, 08:25 PM   #32

I picked up the MaxSpeed headers that Rareair was selling. I grabbed 'em from Rareair this AM, installed this afternoon, drove around more this evening, and just finished reinstalling the stockers.

Lots of loud - more than I want. It definitely sounded awesome, but over the top for my tastes. So I'll be reselling 'em...

It was worth a try for the $75 Rareair was selling them for...
Old 03-08-2009, 08:33 PM   #33

do u have a clip of how they sounded.. and i am doing the pedro mod myself ..
Old 03-08-2009, 08:52 PM   #34

I'm impressed - you installed headers, then took them off and resintalled - all in a day. not bad!! I think that is a job that is over my head.

well I took the plunge and I drilled into my muffler and did the "crios" mod.

I just took it out for a quick spin but didn't have time to take any video. My initial impression is that it is a little louder/ throatier at upper rpm, and a little louder at full rpm. I notice more of a change at low rpm than I do at higher rpms. overall the change is not drastic.

I will drive it around like this for a week and see what i think. It was pretty easy. the drill only took about 10 seconds to punch trhough each side. I started with a small bit - a 3/8" and honestly - nothing changed. that hole was too small to notice anything. I then used a 1/2" bit and opened up the smaller hole into a 1/2" hole. when I fired it up after THIS hole, then I noticed a louder sound at idle. at low rpm....you notice it's throatier. like if you were just rolling through a parking lot, you can tell there is a bit more depth to the sound.

immeidately after I did this, and I took it out for an initial spin - one thing I immeidately noticed was the possible thought that i lost low end..... I can't say for sure, but I am wondering if I lost a bit low low end power by doing this.....it may just be all in my head, because of people saying how a high flow exhaust can cause you to lose low end...but one of the first reactions I had as I drove away froma stop was "did I lose soem low end power"....so the next few turns I took, i hammered the gas, and I can't say that I thought it was any slower...

it clearly is NO faster...and I don't think it's any slower....but can anyone suggest their thoughts - could this mod cause you to LOSE low end power?

I'll drive it around for a week - see what I think. I figure if I hate it - I can always tell my wife I broke the muffler and now I NEED to buy afull Fabspeed sytem...

hahahahhhahhha.

i htink she'll tell me to just sell the car... .
Old 03-08-2009, 09:12 PM   #35

Without a Dyno, it would be very hard to notice a loss or gain.

To me, my car seems "faster" as it is simply "louder".

I'm into enjoying the way my car sounds and drives around curves, and not so much the actual seconds it takes from 0-60 mph. If this was my concern I woundn't have a spare tire, heated seats or a Bose system in the car

My suggestion, if you like the sound then enjoy the mod. :dance:

Some more sound clips, theses taken with professional equipment:

http://www.ppbb.com/boards/ppbbphp/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=ARCHIVES&Number=1480272

Last edited by crios; 04-04-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:53 AM   #36

Drilling straight back with extra-long bit

What happens if you drill straight back and only penetrate the relatively narrow space of the central outer shell, missing the inner metal tubes? The result is an opening both through the exhaust tips and at the rear outer casing of the muffler.

Good? Bad? Little or no difference?

Last edited by George in Plano; 03-09-2009 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Want to add that this is an S- model year 2000
George in Plano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:32 PM   #37

I have opted to do the pedro mod on my exhaust..... i like the sound it gives the car.. since i am spent so much money on mods of my car I figure while it is dismantled to just get it done they way i like it so i am happy with it.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:59 AM   #38

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
Are you running OEM Headers and Midpipes with all cats intact? Just curious.

I just got a new OEM S muffler on Ebay so I may try this with my current muffler to see how it sounds with my performance headers and secondary bypass pipes. Might get too loud.
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:13 PM   #39

I tried the mod with a 1/2" bit. The largest I have. It did make a little bit of an improvement. Impressed for 2 mins worth of work.

What do you think would work better. Expanding the hole with a larger bit or maybe drilling another couple more holes in the pipe? Or would both accomplish the same task?
tamarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:08 PM   #40

I'm glad you like!!!!

Add a second 1/2 to each side to make louder.....here's a thread on this:

http://www.ppbb.com/boards/ppbbphp/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=ARCHIVES&Number=1487599

Sound clip:
http://www.tripdevice.com/bryan_temp/ppbb/cse_exhaust_hack/cse_exhaust_hack_long_4holes.mp3

Last edited by crios; 04-04-2009 at 08:15 PM.