View Single Post
Old 03-08-2009, 05:27 PM   #29
23109VC

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb0099
I am in the same problem as it would be a different angle to drill the muffler since i have the welded tips even with the extra long drill bit.. i have a little torch do you think it would be easier to just remove the tip and the re-weld it. and could i just screw the tip back on instead of welding it back?
clb0099-

i am in the same boat as you - I have a welded on muffler. on the cars with the welded on oval tip - if you look *WAY* deep inside the tip - you can see that there are actually TWO separate tubes that essentially join together at the tip - if you look at the picture that crios posted - of the muffler which is opened up /cutaway - you see two distinct internal tubes - and at the exit where they turn into tip s- there is at least an inch or two of space between them - hence he drilled toward the center of the tips - but on OUR Mufflers, there is NO space in beteween those tips.

if you drill "inward" like he did you just drill into the other tube...and it won't work.

i am tempted to drill the opposite direction - OR just drill straight back. i can actually see the "bend" in the back of my tip.... if you shine a flashlight straight back, you can see the tube bend toward the outer portions of themuffler... much in the same way that the cutaway picture shows...it's just that they start much closer together..so you can't drill inward...you need to either drill upward, outward, or just drill in the very back and punch through that way.

i have a very very long drill bit - almost 12" long and it easily reaches that back portion.

i'm very tempted to just start drilling right now.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote