Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2009, 07:11 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb0099
I have opted to do the pedro mod on my exhaust..... i like the sound it gives the car.. since i am spent so much money on mods of my car I figure while it is dismantled to just get it done they way i like it so i am happy with it.
I did the Pedro exhaust to my car - by buying a muffler that already had it done.

I had a pretty bad exhaust leak that was just fixed today - so in the next day or two I'll shoot some video of my car and post it to see what you all think. just before putting the pedro muffler on - I did the crios mod by drilling two 1/2" holes. I think the pedro muffler is a bit louder and it has a different sound. both were good. I would have to hear them side by side to say which I like better...

I think I might like the $2000 fabspeed system more... but my wife won't let me spend that much!!

seriously - I think both mods are good - i'll post my clips later and you can all be the judge.

one thing I notice is that at higher rpms/speeds - I think I hear the intake more than the exhaust. i'll bet an evo intake would sound awesome.

23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:30 AM   #42

I was just about to do the Pedro mod but my exhaust man and I started to get nervous about how close the pipe would have to be to the bumper. I had just deiced to save my coins for an aftermarket exhaust when I saw this mod.

Has anyone ever tried to bypass the secondary cats with… oh… say a piece of rebar or some ridged conduit? I have heard people talk beating the hell out of cats to break them up and create more flow. I wonder how hard it would be to ream out the secondary cat.
tamarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 04:30 PM   #43

Any difference in doing this mod to a S model? I'm contemplating doing this but haven't seen if anyone is doing this to an S.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:09 PM   #44

crios, the links aren't working.

Also has anyone tried this on the Boxster exhaust with the non-removable tip? I have a '98 Boxster and would like to try this mod but I don't know if I can get the right angle because the exhaust tip is welded on.
NWI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:07 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder803
Any difference in doing this mod to a S model? I'm contemplating doing this but haven't seen if anyone is doing this to an S.
Just as easy, Voxster from the PPBB site did it to his 03 S, sound clip and pics below.

He actually did two holes in each tube, so 4 all together.

Sound clip:
http://www.tripdevice.com/bryan_temp/ppbb/cse_exhaust_hack/cse_exhaust_hack_long_4holes.mp3

03' 986 Midnight Blue Metallic
Light Weight Flywheel | Tinted Windows and Windscreen
Painted Bumperettes | 550 Spyder Grille Kit

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_9sTq_sN1KDw/Si...2009%20055.jpg

Last edited by crios; 04-04-2009 at 08:15 PM.
crios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:18 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWI Bill
crios, the links aren't working.

Also has anyone tried this on the Boxster exhaust with the non-removable tip? I have a '98 Boxster and would like to try this mod but I don't know if I can get the right angle because the exhaust tip is welded on.
All links have been update and should be working now.

As for doing on a 98....try a long drill bit and go straight back into the bend?

Old 04-05-2009, 01:47 PM   #47

I did the 4-hole mod on my '03 S. Worked out great. If you have an '03 or '04 with the removable tips, there is no reason why you should do this mod now! It is free, it sounds good, it is free, it is easy, did I mention that it is free.

It didn't make a huge difference in sound, but it does sound better. It is a little louder and has a more grumble to it. It is not at all over powering, resonating, or annoying.
tamarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:48 PM   #48

Drill Baby Drill!!!!!!!

Crios.........U R DA MAN!!!!! Just did the Mod on my 2000 S and I love the sound.

For all of you that have the welded on tips, don't let it stop you.

I just got the longest 1/2" bit Sears had it stock and bored straightback through the pipe. I put the second hole about 1 1/2" from the first one. The placing is not too critical but you should allow enough room between the two holes to prevent compromising the structural rigidity of the pipe. If anyone is considering this Mod, I would definately go for it. It does help to put penetrating oil on the drill dit. This helps the bit cut through the metal smoother. Also, don't forget to put some duct tape around the outside edge of your tips to prevent them being scratched by the side of the drill bit. Good luck and............. Drill Baby Drill!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by MidMotor2TrunkToter; 08-27-2009 at 05:06 PM.
MidMotor2TrunkToter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:01 PM   #49

Calling all the brave among you........

............who will be the first to go 3 or 4 holes in each pipe? Larger holes? .......... The sound is good now but could it be better?

Last edited by MidMotor2TrunkToter; 04-06-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:59 AM   #50

Just drilled the mother - Boxster 2003 2.7 tip

Hi guys, first post on 986, I have been following this thread with an open mind and decided to go ahead after all the good reviews. Went & bought a 14mm by 250mm all purpose drill bit as my oval pipe is spot welded on. Pushed the drill bit as far back as it would go and let rip. When I shine a light down the pipe you can see the hole at the back but you can also see more metal directly behind the hole, it's even scored by the drill bit & I'm sure I would of gone through this if I'd carried on pushing. Does anyone know what this will be and should I drill through this as well? The sound is better and I'll be taking it out later to test drive. Cheers
tonkasdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:29 PM   #51

How To Question

A tad embarrassing but I'm missing something so simple I can't see it. Went out to drill a couple of holes inside the exhaust tips into the muffler chamber per the example in the earlier post.
No deal: the angle of the drill wouldn't let the bit bite, it just keeps wanting to move around, attempted to use smaller bit with the idea of working up to the 1/2" but no luck.
How did you do it?

Thanks
cWadeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:17 PM   #52

Hi, I had the same problem, I started with a standard cordless drill & the bit just spun all over the inside of the pipe. I got a bigger mains powered drill, put all my weight behind it & pushed like f**k! This is why I had to go more to the back of the pipe as there is no way I could have put a hole where crioas did with the tail pipe on, couldn't get the angle. Does anyone know what is directly behind the hole I've made as per my previous post?
tonkasdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:58 AM   #53
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cWadeb
A tad embarrassing but I'm missing something so simple I can't see it. Went out to drill a couple of holes inside the exhaust tips into the muffler chamber per the example in the earlier post.
No deal: the angle of the drill wouldn't let the bit bite, it just keeps wanting to move around, attempted to use smaller bit with the idea of working up to the 1/2" but no luck.
How did you do it?

Thanks
You will want to use a center punch to place a "dent" where you want the drill to go through the wall. Any hardware store has them.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:24 PM   #54

Center punch as suggested by blue2000s, or/and you'll have to push in and to an angle, agaist the wall to use as leverage, leaving some cuts on the pipe. You can also cover up the drill with ducktape where it hits the wall to help prevent these cuts. Go slow, into you establish a groove where the drill will stay in place.

See pic below:

Last edited by crios; 04-16-2009 at 07:30 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:04 PM   #55

No Takers?

Don't be a :chicken:! Still interested to hear if anyone is enough of a rebel to drill more than 2 holes per side.

Lov'n the Crios! :dance:
Old 04-23-2009, 11:10 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonkasdog
When I shine a light down the pipe you can see the hole at the back but you can also see more metal directly behind the hole, it's even scored by the drill bit & I'm sure I would of gone through this if I'd carried on pushing. Does anyone know what this will be and should I drill through this as well? The sound is better and I'll be taking it out later to test drive. Cheers
I'd bet that you are seeing the outer shell of the muffler. DO NOT drill through that.

I'll be borrowing one of my Dad's long drill bits early next week.

BTW, I would guess that you are only hearing the difference in sound at low RPM because at higher RPM, the volume and velocity of the air keeps it moving through the big holes in the existing pipes as opposed to the tiny drilled holes. At slower speed, there is less air moving, and it can get through the smaller holes.

I'll put a DB meter on it before and after to see what difference in sound level it makes.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:02 PM   #57

i have a pedro mod on my car and I notice one sound from the muffler at lower rpm and then a totally different sound at higher rpm.

i wonder if the pedro mufflers could also have an issue where at certain rpms, the amount of air that actually makes it into the bypass pipes changes? i notice the sound of my pedro muffler is different at low rpm vs higher rpm - which could be the result of air flow/velocity allowing more air to get into the bypass pipes, but at high rpm less can make it due to more of it flowing out the "real" muffler piping and less can divert/escape into the bypass pipes??
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:26 AM   #58

Garage
I did the crios mod on my 02 2.7 about 2 weeks ago, and am loving the additional sound at idle, and cruising at 2500 to 3000 RPM. That is where I notice it the most, but I am sure it adds a little sound all the way to redline (de-snorkled intake noise drowns it out).
I'd love to drill another hole in each side but with the welded on tip, 1 hole/side was hard enough. Maybe I can find a bigger bit and make them larger.

Thanks for the idea, crios!
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:38 PM   #59

Side-by-side comparison

First off, a bump for this awesome mod!

And in almost every exhaust/intake mod discussion, I hear at least one person say "I wish I could hear them side-by-side!" Well, today I got my chance! A fellow identical 2003 Boxster S owner brought hers to my office and we parked them side by side for a little comparison.

I've got mine drilled with one hole per side with only a 3/8" bit and little bit of extra filing to ovalize the hole. Hers is completely stock. Definite improvement in low RPM sound in mine. Even with the relatively small drilled holes, it has a much lower, aggressive growl. Improved sound continues until the de-snorkeled intake sound takes over on mine.

I didn't realize how much of an improvement this minor mod actually made until I could hear them side-by-side! It doesn't take a lot of drilling to make an impact either. Well worth the 10 minutes!

And for grins, a picture of our test lab...

19" black 997 Turbo wheels
Litronics
Fully De-Ambered
BumperPlugged
Painted badges
CSE Exhaust Mod
De-Snorked
FVD Headers and cats on the way
Dension GW 500 on the way
Bumperettes on the way
GT_YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:52 AM   #60

Can someone please confirm this mod also applies to 2000 porsche boxsters (NON-s)?

I was sizing things up and it seems drilling straight back as far as possible much punch through the exhaust all together (i measured it and compared it on the outside and it almost seems the back wall is the exhaust shell wall!!!)

in other words, can someoen please confirm on a 2000 boxster NON-s model, i can just take an extra long drill bit and drill all the way as far back as possible?!

THANKS

2000PorscheBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote