Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2009, 11:32 AM   #81

noob question

Hey i got a simple question. im about to do this mod i have the screwable tip on my 03 boxster. Now when i drill the holes how far in deep to i drill? Do i drill al the way in ? am i supposed to make a hole in the frist chamber. How far exactly did u push the drill bit in ? Thanks for the help

msediqi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:00 PM   #82

Mod works on 00 non S Boxster

I can't see spending a grand for a new muffler,especially for the small gains it makes, but always wished the car sounded a bit more aggressive at lower rpms. Drilled two 1/2" holes, one on each side, using a 12" long bit, it made a small difference from idle-2500 rpm. Went up to a 9/16" and it sounds great now! That extra 1/16" adds over 25% more to the drilled cross sectional are, and it makes a big difference. Car sounds great at idle and normal cruising speeds, no resonace at all. Above ~3000 can't tell a difference at all, which is fine with me, it has always sounded good at higher revs. Just use a good sharp bit, push slowly and spin the drill slowly until the bit bites. The 9/16" bit fits tight on both sides as you put it in, but this helps guilde the bit and I didn't have a problem slipping. Thanks for the tip!
fishfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:04 PM   #83

I did this tonight and it works great, just enough sound!!!!!

Everyone should do this mod!! i got my bit a lowes for 12.95.

Thanks for this great DIY.

Last edited by MylesHye Clothing; 11-24-2009 at 05:54 PM.
MylesHye Clothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:26 AM   #84

Crios

That is pretty cool, I think I am going to give that a try. did you have any modifications to your air intake?
You have any other clips?
Jamesleeworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:07 PM   #85

did the drills, love it, and plan on doing a second set of 1/2 inch holes strait back. Just a FYI. My drill bit was dancing all around. My tips do not come off, so the angle of attack was shallow. Some say to center punch. I used a large flat head screwdriver and pounded it into the pipe, poking a large hole, then drilled. Made the experience lasted about 2 mins per side. Obvious but someone may benifit from the suggestion.

James
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:42 PM   #86

I drilled two holes (one per side) also but accidentally made them a little bigger then I intended and it sounds greats. As they mentioned on here previously, more noticeable when you go past 3000 rpms and it sounds louder not different.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:26 PM   #87

Garage
What are the biggest holes so far?

I started with 1/2"dia holes (one each side) on my 2002 2.7 and liked the extra sound. Eventually I wanted more, but could not find a larger diameter drill bit that was long enough to reach with the fixed exhaust tip. Then one day I ran across a 'stepped' drill bit and a drill bit extension, and slowly worked my way up to a 3/4"dia each side. I think it sounds even better. Definitely not too loud.

What have others tried?
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:25 PM   #88

I used a 1/2" drill bit but as I said earlier, I got carried away then combined with the angle, I made my holes about the same size as yours. They are 1/2" by 1" so it should be the same, I like the sound and thought about going bigger.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:22 AM   #89

Does it matter if you drill almost straight back and not so much on the side? I assume you are still going into the same chamber of the muffler. I have the single tip (non-removable) and it is very hard to go at very much of an angle. Thanks.
Alretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:02 PM   #90

If you drill straight back, you'll drill through the back of the muffler and you don't want to do that. Drill to side like Crios instructed. I have a 98 Boxster with a single non-removable tip and didn't have any problem. Just use a long bit, 12" or so or use a drill bit extender. You can buy both at Sears. I just increased the diameter of the holes in mine to 1". I used a step bit to increase the size. I was getting a bit of "PFFHT" sound as I rev it. The increased diameter took care of that, the sound got a little deeper and no cabin drone.

Since we got into the low 30s here in Chicagoland today, I took the Box out for a drive to see how things sounded and rid myself of some cabin fever. :dance:
NWI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:08 PM   #91

Box-s Muffler drill out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crios
30 min if that!! I'm wanting to drill wider to make it louder, but scared there might be drone past 1/2 inch. I'll post some more clips tomorrow on how loud it is, but I'd say it probably increased it by 10-20% at the most. Not as loud as PSE for sure, but better than stock.
I was contemplating the easiest hack on my stock 00' S muffler & reading this found me with drill in hand in no time. Your'e idea is brilliant. I drilled 2 holes 7/16 in each side & with a reemer punched them out to about 11/16. Used a 2x2 chunk of fir with a 'v'groove sawn in it to guide bit. It is a perfect note w/ minimal cabin drone which goes away @ 2800. I rarely run less than that anyway. It just screams when whooped! I also recently swapped stock header/cats for chinese headers ($69.00 +32.00 ship). They are awesome for the $ & collectors/welding is just great. Extended all 02 sensors placing pre-02's near header outlet (fitting provided in hdrs) & post 02's in top of pipe right behind 2nd cats, behind rear wheel well. I am now remodelling intake. All this fancy stuff available for $3-400 is great for a neurosurgeon, but I can't see it. I got some 3.5" silicon tubing (50%+- larger than stock dia) & 2 3" abs Street 45 deg. plumbing fittings, cut them down, rasped & sanded the insides to elim drag. The stock air box provided the short section w/ MAF hub when sawn up & removed, & I'm now patterning 3/32' uhmv plastic (or whatever it's called) for a new AB to house a 4.5x5.25, 6" long Conical filter from local ap store. I opted for an oilless K&N look alike for $20.00. It will be more of a plenum than an air tube, not much sucking hopefully, the fixed dia @ MAF must be maintained to get the cfm reading though. It will throw cel's I know, but with what I've saved I'll find someone to remap ecu. Working on this car is the most fun I've ever had with mech tools. What a great car. $15K for 31K miles, are u kidding? Rich mans garbage i guess. I won/t have 18 in it for a really fun fast ride thats so addictive to drive!
mdimant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:05 PM   #92

Do you guys think you could do this with removed cat's?? its a 03 non-s with a remapp and intake and both cats removed... please let me know
tuneme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 05:23 PM   #93

I have an 03 S with a BNC filter, secondary cats removed, 200 cell primary cats, and FVD software and I love still love my exhaust mod. Go far it! It is a cheap (free) easy mod.
tamarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:53 AM   #94

Ok got a drill and did it, but i only drilled one hole as its already noisey without cats..
and all i can say is WOW sounds close to a GT3, incredible gonna take it for a drive and see how she go's otherwise i recommend this mod highly!!!

ps. il try take a video
Old 04-26-2010, 09:24 AM   #95

im even considering drilling a 2nd hole, but im scared about back pressure problems
iv booked the car for dyno, so ill see whats what hopefully there some gains
Old 04-26-2010, 09:27 AM   #96

Oooh... definitely let us know the results of the dyno!
dja1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:54 PM   #97

I get a BIG smile everytime I see someone do this mod!

03' 986 Midnight Blue Metallic
Light Weight Flywheel | Tinted Windows and Windscreen
Painted Bumperettes | 550 Spyder Grille Kit

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_9sTq_sN1KDw/Si...2009%20055.jpg
crios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:51 AM   #98

Ok drilled 2nd hole and reset the ECU to re-learn as my tuner said.. and WOW IT IS JUST INCREDIBLE!! dyno tomorrow morning as its a public holiday today

let you know how it go's
Old 04-27-2010, 08:56 AM   #99

So who's gonna make the before and after videos?? Outside car and inside car..
Old 04-28-2010, 09:38 PM   #100

I'm bummed... I just did the mod on my '01 S, with 1/2" holes.. no sound difference at all! :-(

..Joe

jgaude is offline   Reply With Quote